Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 PM

689 posts, read 549,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Even though I am not religious myself, I believe my observations about religious people are accurate.

All religious people make religion the center of their lives, or they are not considered as religious.
Hmm..all I can say is your accuracy is confined to a small group of people only. As for others such as me, you don't even know me. I was an atheist before so I know exactly what the mindset (and thus the flaws ) of your kind is.

Again, even when you are right about the religious people, it has nothing to do with whether truth is contained inside the belief/religion or not. I don't mean to be a jerk, I think that my speculation about the atheists is accurate too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 PM

598 posts, read 917,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
Again, even when you are right about the religious people, it has nothing to do with whether truth is contained inside the belief/religion or not. I don't mean to be a jerk, I think that my speculation about the atheists is accurate too.
you'll be the judge, this dull or not:

worldview = "die on cross with sins"
love = "die on cross with sins"
meaning of life = "die on cross with sins"
spirituality = "die on cross with sins"

... = "die on cross with sins"

Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 PM

689 posts, read 549,325 times
Quote:
you'll be the judge, this dull or not:

worldview = "die on cross with sins"
love = "die on cross with sins"
meaning of life = "die on cross with sins"
spirituality = "die on cross with sins"

... = "die on cross with sins"
What's that to do with you? Everyone is entitled to form his own world view and choose his own religion.

Are you complaining?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
I would not say all religious people are like that. I would say it is more a product of a particular mindset then any religion. For example a lot of people believe if you are not religious then you cannot have morality. They base this on the belief that if they did not believe in God nothing would hold them back from being a horrible human being. This is false as people find all sorts of things to maintain morality, whether it is a personal code or religion or a sense of shame. The point is that people think differently and are not capable of fully understanding and evaluating all other points of view, thus why we have arguments. While some religious people need all of those things to keep themselves in line and functional this is not the case for everyone. Others only need their own truths and have their own ways be they religious or not.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:45 AM

598 posts, read 917,059 times
Maybe what I described is the "model religious person".

All other religious persons not there yet are trying to be like that. So, to be precise, all religious persons are either making their religion the only thing the center of their lives, or they try to.

That's an acceptable statement to everyone?

Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Nice way of not answering the question, and gravity has nothing to do with it. If you walk off the top of the building you know you're going to fall and I know that you're going to, however I can't believe that you're going to be stupid enough to do something like that, and that's from my perspective.

I don't see how I was "avoiding" it, either.

Truth is truth--doesn't matter what we think. If 1 = 1 it doesn't matter if I think 1 = 2. My opinion is irrelevant in regards to what it is.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:18 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,302,148 times
Quote:
Even though I am not religious myself, I believe my observations about religious people are accurate.

All religious people make religion the center of their lives, or they are not considered as religious.
I dont' think that religious people make religion the center of their lives, I see it as making God the center of their lives.

The reason I say that because their are religous people who say that they are religious and are not. They are just wanting to be associated with the title.

I think what you are seeing is people who are serious about God and make Him the center of their life. Making God the center of you life is a lifestyle that people make to live in the mist of other people who make other things the center of their life.

In todays time the material world is ver popular, and the things of God is not. So when people see certain people who make God their lifestyle they see them as odd, because so many people rather live ungodly lifestyles.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,302,148 times
Quote:
Maybe what I described is the "model religious person".

All other religious persons not there yet are trying to be like that. So, to be precise, all religious persons are either making their religion the only thing the center of their lives, or they try to.

That's an acceptable statement to everyone?
I think you are confusing the word "religious people" with people who are living for God and making Him the center of their attention. Their is a difference.

If you notice the so called religious people, then my question is are you just picking up on their willingless to give themselve to God as a lifestyle.

YOu said that religious people associate religion to everything. I think it is when you trust and love God, then you are not just willing to give Him your life, you are more aware of HIm, and more conscious of Him. When you have a deeper relationship with God, then you give Him all of you and I think you are associating a deep relationship with God, to religious people

Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by Bluefly
Quote:
Fundamentalists have become the "face" of religion because it is easy to grow arrogant when you believe you speak God's only message. It is easy to organize people around simple directives and lists of rules, to build media around it, promote political action, and raise a lot of money.
It is a fact that people are herd animals, so in a sense every human is geared to wanting to belong to a herd.
The difference with fundies is that they believe that only their herd is worth to belong to, so they disqualify any other herd they do not belong to.
In a sense fundies can't stand people who disagree with them.
It has nothing to do with religion or faith, the need to belong to a herd is only natural.

Sadly the belief that only their herd should have the right to exist isn't natural and this notion is what is fundamentally wrong with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality