Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,704,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
My parents made me and my siblings do that while growing up. Apparently, sleeping with the bible laid on your chest keeps demons from possessing you while you sleep.
Is that like how dream catchers work in some Native American beleifs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,013,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It does mean that one of us is wrong, though. If we have different concepts of what God is.

I don't consider it intolerant for you to disagree with me. I consider it very tolerant to be able to disagree, agree to disagree, and allow for it. You have the right to be wrong--and you should also grant me that right. But one of us is wrong.
All this means is one has a different view of what God is. Most of the time our experiences define our views, with me, my experiences have given me a completely different concept of this God that what most Christians have, my experiences have given me a completely different outlook on the Christ than most Christians have. Does this matter to God? Does my views influence God in any way, "No". Spirit is about doing the business of spirit, if I should choose to partake in it in the way I choose to it matters to nothing but myself. I changes only myself, and that first has to start from with in.
So am I right and your wrong, or visa versa, only in your own way of thinking, and that only matters to you.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,423,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
most people i know are just pretty casual about their beliefs and it never comes up. But your right in regards about the hardcores who eat, drink, and sleep with their Bibles.
Right, most of us are moderately religious. Even to us, the Bible-bangers and "fire and brimstone" crowd are incredibly annoying.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,677,862 times
Quote:
It does mean that one of us is wrong, though. If we have different concepts of what God is.

I don't consider it intolerant for you to disagree with me. I consider it very tolerant to be able to disagree, agree to disagree, and allow for it. You have the right to be wrong--and you should also grant me that right. But one of us is wrong.
Why does one of you have to be wrong ? Why can't you both be right from your own perspective ? It's just like this forum, everybody has an opinion and is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't make their opinion wrong or right, it is merely their opinion, why should there be a right and a wrong with your Creator, one of you see your Creator one way and the other sees it another way and yet you both can be right. Who sets those parameters ?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,081,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Why does one of you have to be wrong ? Why can't you both be right from your own perspective ? It's just like this forum, everybody has an opinion and is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't make their opinion wrong or right, it is merely their opinion, why should there be a right and a wrong with your Creator, one of you see your Creator one way and the other sees it another way and yet you both can be right. Who sets those parameters ?

ultimate truth does not depend on perspective.

Doesn't matter what I think about the the law of gravity...if I take a walk off the top of a tall building I'm going to fall.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,677,862 times
Quote:
ultimate truth does not depend on perspective.

Doesn't matter what I think about the the law of gravity...if I take a walk off the top of a tall building I'm going to fall.

Nice way of not answering the question, and gravity has nothing to do with it. If you walk off the top of the building you know you're going to fall and I know that you're going to, however I can't believe that you're going to be stupid enough to do something like that, and that's from my perspective.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,314,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
They equate religion to everything.

In other words, to religious people:

"religion" = "everything"

examples:

religion = spirituality
religion = moral standards
religion = meanings of life
religion = worldview
religion = soul
religion = love

It seems there's nothing else going on in their lives. That's why they feel losing their religions would mean losing everything.
I dont feel that religious people equate religion to everything, they just live a different life than you or other who don't serve God or have a particular faith.

I feel that people who are religious stick out to people who are not religious because they are doing something that they are not doing. Something as simple as praying over your food may seem very strange to someone who does not pray at all. But it is not odd, it is just that the person who does not pray may feel that you are dong someone thing that they don't understand.

I dont see the big deal in religion. But non- religious people for some reason want to point out religious people, only because they are different from them. To be honest it does not bother me, but I would never question someone who is not religious. Who cares that is there life. People need to learn to live with other people.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 PM

598 posts, read 918,575 times
Religious people do religious things religiously. That is a big deal to religious people.

The center of life for all religious people is their "religion".

As a non-religious person, I did not say in this thread about it being good or bad. I merely pointed out a fact. I don't know if you agree with this fact or not?

(I don't think I have a problem with freedom of religions; I have no problem with religious people either)

Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 PM

689 posts, read 551,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Religious people do religious things religiously. That is a big deal to religious people.

The center of life for all religious people is their "religion".

As a non-religious person, I did not say in this thread about it being good or bad. I merely pointed out a fact. I don't know if you agree with this fact or not?
Rather, it is your personal speculation of a small group of religious people. I can't say that your generalization about that small group of religious people is not right. Yet it confines itself to "human behavior" only, and has nothing to do with the truth contained in a religion.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 PM

598 posts, read 918,575 times
Even though I am not religious myself, I believe my observations about religious people are accurate.

All religious people make religion the center of their lives, or they are not considered as religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality