Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 AM

598 posts, read 917,427 times

Advertisements

They equate religion to everything.

In other words, to religious people:

"religion" = "everything"

examples:

religion = spirituality
religion = moral standards
religion = meanings of life
religion = worldview
religion = soul
religion = love

It seems there's nothing else going on in their lives. That's why they feel losing their religions would mean losing everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post

examples:

religion = spirituality
religion = worldview
religion = soul
religion = love

It seems there's nothing else going on in their lives. That's why they feel losing their religions would mean losing everything.
You left out a few others, and yes, I do understand that this list could get really long,.... religion = fear, religion = hatred, religion = bigotry, religion = intolerance, religion = ignorance (math and science need not apply)

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times
most people i know are just pretty casual about their beliefs and it never comes up. But your right in regards about the hardcores who eat, drink, and sleep with their Bibles.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
most people i know are just pretty casual about their beliefs and it never comes up. But your right in regards about the hardcores who eat, drink, and sleep with their Bibles.
My parents made me and my siblings do that while growing up. Apparently, sleeping with the bible laid on your chest keeps demons from possessing you while you sleep.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
My parents made me and my siblings do that while growing up. Apparently, sleeping with the bible laid on your chest keeps demons from possessing you while you sleep.
Was that serious, huh?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
I would encourage you to not lump "the religious people" all together. There is extraordinary wisdom in spiritual traditions. It just gets distorted and confused by people who need to use their rational minds and words in books to interpret experience and wisdom that is beyond words. Then it gets even more distorted by those on the other side who only use their rational minds for scientific inquiry. Both are missing the larger reality and simply lofting bombs into one another's fox hole.

Fundamentalists have become the "face" of religion because it is easy to grow arrogant when you believe you speak God's only message. It is easy to organize people around simple directives and lists of rules, to build media around it, promote political action, and raise a lot of money.

The deeper I have grown in Christ the more humble I have grown and the further I have been from being able to simply follow a set of rules or to see Christ's teachings in one political party over another or to yell about what is inerrantly "right" or "wrong". Why one person commits a "sin" may be precisely what they came here to do in order to experience its consequences and move on.

I just posted this in the atheists forum in response to a similar carpet bombing of religion:

The core of Christianity - before it got overrun by the ignorance of man - was a person in the flesh operating at the highest level of having all 7 chakras of his psychological consciousness activated. It's all very scientific. We just use spirituality to fill in the science we do not yet know.

In so doing, Christ demonstrated not how to worship and kill in his name, but how to embody a full mastery of physics in the human flesh. A fully activated human can walk on water, raise the dead, levitate, etc... It is just a matter of increasing one's vibrational energy beyond the density of the physical.

The allure of the "Jedi" in the Star Wars mythology taps into this a little. You'll disagree and tell me it's just tricks and such, but all I can say is test it within yourself. Learn how to trust your instinct and elevate your own consciousness and see where it leads you.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:

examples:

religion = spirituality
religion = worldview
religion = soul
religion = love

If you believe in a Holy God that is going to judge you, why would you NOT want to make sure you're doing what he commands?

Everything else pales in comparison to God.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
that notion that there is an angry father figure waiting to condemn us for disobeying his commands emerged from patriarchal cultures of the Bronze Age that constructed an image of God to reflect their own patriarchal world view.

That works well for young children who need discipline and obedience, but my experience is that we are emerging into our adulthood where we no longer need parental oversight and are elevating our awareness to a level by which we can regulate and judge ourselves.

As such, our construction of God will follow suit from a guy wait to judge you to an embodiment that is within you to judge for yourself.

Just my opinion based on my own experience.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
that notion that there is an angry father figure waiting to condemn us for disobeying his commands emerged from patriarchal cultures of the Bronze Age that constructed an image of God to reflect their own patriarchal world view.

That works well for young children who need discipline and obedience, but my experience is that we are emerging into our adulthood where we no longer need parental oversight and are elevating our awareness to a level by which we can regulate and judge ourselves.

As such, our construction of God will follow suit from a guy wait to judge you to an embodiment that is within you to judge for yourself.

Just my opinion based on my own experience.

God created you. Don't you think you'd want to at least understand what he expects of you?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:

examples:

religion = spirituality
religion = worldview
religion = soul
religion = love

Which is why the religious defend everything about religion so blindly and vigorously. Without it their lives would be rendered meaningless, leaving them in a lethargic state. The slight possibility of eternal bliss makes them oblivious to any logical evaluation of the world around them, so they defend lies .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality