Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,322,783 times

Advertisements

This is not a religious thread, but rather a thread about how great I believe our world would be if we could all understand what I am about to do. Wouldn't you just love to have our political leaders worshiping a power higher than themselves?

It is 8:45 this post-stormy Sunday in Kentucky. In about 20 minutes, my wife and I will jump into our car and head to Sunday School and an hour later we'll join in with the rest of our congregation to worship God.

For many this time will be a time of golf, exercise, shopping, or just lounging around the house. I just wish more could know the joy of my personal faith in God, my acceptance of Christ as Lord, and how that faith strengthens my resolve in everything I do.

Can a non-churched person have the success that I feel? Maybe. I won't speak for or at any other person's faith. I am not condemning anyone reading this post, nor am doing a "better than you" statement.

Please read exactly what I am writing. I am wishing, even inviting, all to join with me in a wonderful celebration of live through worship. It's addicting.

I care not the "brand" or denomination a person chooses to affiliate with, I just know that business people and politicians who know what I am writing are typically better servants of the people. Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush, all polar political opposites had a common thread, their faith in a higher power. Some reading this will like the work of one or more, while others will despise the same work, but if I remember correctly, Nixon's failure to acknowledge a higher power than himself was his undoing.

Last edited by tomocox; 03-29-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 AM

917 posts, read 2,300,547 times
Don't you think this belongs in the Religion forum? As for me, I'm glad you're happy but that sort of thing would not make me happy at all! You don't want to hear what I think of organized religion.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,761,834 times
To each his or her own ... one can find happiness in many places other than Church. It's not fair to even ponder how anyone can be as happy as you because of the choices you make.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,043,147 times
I think he's just fulfilling his weekly requirement of telling us heathens we should be "believers".
Instead of standing on a soapbox on the corner pounding a bible for a couple looooong hours like the old days he just takes a couple of seconds and does it here,requirement satisfied off to golf!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,246,376 times
No. The world would be a better place if people moved past believing in mythical gods and embraced reality. Religion does have some positive aspects (although none of which cannnot be achieved without it), but mostly breeds ignorance on a horrific scale.

The damage that religion and religious leaders have caused scientific research, equal rights, and third world education (especially on AIDS prevention) is frightening at best.

Our political leaders should be 'prevented' from taking office if they attempt to influence public policy through their religious beliefs, namely enforcing your constitution. And yes, people can be very happy without religion... if you are a Christian then 5 billion people on the planet don't share your beliefs.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,435,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
This is not a religious thread, but rather a thread about how great I believe our world would be if we could all understand what I am about to do. Wouldn't you just love to have our political leaders worshiping a power higher than themselves?

It is 8:45 this post-stormy Sunday in Kentucky. In about 20 minutes, my wife and I will jump into our car and head to Sunday School and an hour later we'll join in with the rest of our congregation to worship God.

For many this time will be a time of golf, exercise, shopping, or just lounging around the house. I just wish more could know the joy of my personal faith in God, my acceptance of Christ as Lord, and how that faith strengthens my resolve in everything I do.

Can a non-churched person have the success that I feel? Maybe. I won't speak for or at any other person's faith. I am not condemning anyone reading this post, nor am doing a "better than you" statement.

Please read exactly what I am writing. I am wishing, even inviting, all to join with me in a wonderful celebration of live through worship. It's addicting.

I care not the "brand" or denomination a person chooses to affiliate with, I just know that business people and politicians who know what I am writing are typically better servants of the people. Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush, all polar political opposites had a common thread, their faith in a higher power. Some reading this will like the work of one or more, while others will despise the same work, but if I remember correctly, Nixon's failure to acknowledge a higher power than himself was his undoing.

Agree 100%. You can sit back and see that the movement of our country away from religion and the downward spiral we appear to be on coincides. Morals and ethics are going out the window and it's sad.

Feel comforted that while there are those that will stand up and denounce religion as evil, they know very little about what our beliefs truly are and they're still in the minority. Hopefully it'll stay that way, but even if it doesn't, we can feel comforted that we know the end-game.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,246,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Agree 100%. You can sit back and see that the movement of our country away from religion and the downward spiral we appear to be on coincides. Morals and ethics are going out the window and it's sad.

Feel comforted that while there are those that will stand up and denounce religion as evil, they know very little about what our beliefs truly are and they're still in the minority. Hopefully it'll stay that way, but even if it doesn't, we can feel comforted that we know the end-game.

No1. A religious belief of any kind is shared by the majority of the world's population, but individually its Christians, Muslims, Hindus etc etc that are in the minority.

No2. You don't 'know' the end-game (whatever that means). You only 'think' you know, and of course based on nothing but shared dillusion.

No3. Morality and Ethics are far better drawn from education than scripture. The OT for example is disgusting and barbaric. If we all lived by these rules, well, I dread to think.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
Many wpukd say that based on predictions and the following events that those that base their decisions on what they think is the powers of man to be civil without belief and following mans logic have been very disappionted. look at the world around you and see what that has brought. bascially what it brings is man flaws the forefront. I look at the secular world and see a really degrading of civility in the morals and culture that religion has been such a important part of. The secualar world is in shambles as to believing anything as common ground other than wanting to blame their problems on religion. Its their escape goat for all their individual failings.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,724,340 times
Tom, your words fall on deaf ears in this board, none of which are mine however. You will have to realize there are people who have no problem with the eternal loss of consciousness. They feel that the 75 years they have on this earth is an adequate amount of time of enjoyment, however only about a 1/3 of that time is actually spent being enjoyed if you factor in working and sleeping. These same people are too self righteous to accept a higher, more controlling power than themselves... ego takes over their soul. Even when they are given the binary choice of eternal happiness or eternal damnation/nothingness... a 50/50 chance mind you... they still allow their limited intellect to choose in favor of ego. "Religion is a fairytale".... yeah, you better be right! At least I got nothin' to lose!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

Thanks for your thoughts but I'm not too much in favor of addictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality