Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
The god we've been taught of, the one based on the bible, is not a figment of someone's imagination.
Of which you no doubt have independent verification...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Human's really need the concept of a god or gods who will help them during times of trial. The inability to have a god or gods leads some people into severe depression and other mental illnesses.
And in others, the belief in that existence fuels the same. And in still others, it's merely a symptom of the underlying insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Why do most people assume that there is only one God?

Maybe the Gods are like humans, and there are billions of them existing on some plane. And then maybe there are Gods presiding over those Gods........

The idea of the Divine as a committee does explain quite a lot.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 AM

970 posts, read 1,699,524 times
Reposting a graph I made for kdbrich's last "who created the universe?" bait-thread:

I believe that whether or not you believe in a god, you're stuck with a paradox - which means we're probably asking the wrong question. Science does not have the right tools to answer this yet, if ever.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Reposting a graph I made for kdbrich's last "who created the universe?" bait-thread:

I believe that whether or not you believe in a god, you're stuck with a paradox - which means we're probably asking the wrong question. Science does not have the right tools to answer this yet, if ever.
What's so horrible about an infinite chain of causality? It is simple. It is concise. It conforms to Occams Razor -- I think....?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:27 PM

Well, kdbrich correctly objected that if God was created by a "bigger" god, which was himself created and so on, it would require the passing of an infinite amount of time before we get to "now". Which, if time flows (as it appears to us), is probably impossible. And if the flow of time is only an illusion, then our perceptions are completely wrong and we'll need to completely rebuild physics to begin understanding how it could work (hence the "that's way too weird").

Note that the objection also stands if there is only one "eternal" God.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Well, kdbrich correctly objected that if God was created by a "bigger" god, which was himself created and so on, it would require the passing of an infinite amount of time before we get to "now". Which, if time flows (as it appears to us), is probably impossible. And if the flow of time is only an illusion, then our perceptions are completely wrong and we'll need to completely rebuild physics to begin understanding how it could work (hence the "that's way too weird").

Note that the objection also stands if there is only one "eternal" God.
ok...I guess I understand--(well, not really).

Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley
ok...I guess I understand--(well, not really).
Sorry, it's hard to explain. Maybe kdbrich can help? It was his argument, after all.

Here's an analogy: a bunch of people are standing in line. A bucket is being passed from the beginning of the line towards the end. If the line has a beginning, this makes sense. However, if the line is infinitely long, the bucket would have to have travelled an infinitely long distance to reach any specific bucket-carrier, which is impossible (or at least it appears so to me).

The line represents the chain of causality, while the bucket represents the present time, the "now". Of course, maybe this is a very poor analogy. Maybe there is no bucket at all. Maybe every single person in the line has a bucket. But if that's the case, we have a very poor grasp of the nature of time, and we must re-write some of our physics.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I don't agree. We have physical knowledge of the universe around us with enough complexity to hint at design. We do not know enough about a possible creator to assume the same. Who is to say that such a creator does not act completely from it's nature to create? The argument is based more I think from an appraisal of what we know of our universe rather than assumptions made about a supernatural realm.
How could observing our world, which has no perceivable creator, lead to the conclusion that there must be a creator? You've never seen god, let alone a god creating things.

It must use the argument "complex things had to be made by more complex things" correct? Well, you either assume your creator is more complex or the argument does not lead to its conclusion. Intelligent design arguments don't work without assumptions.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:16 AM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
How could observing our world, which has no perceivable creator, lead to the conclusion that there must be a creator? You've never seen god, let alone a god creating things.
Your assumed creator is "nature" . . . or you have to deny the abundance of creation going on around you . . . you just think your creator is stupid and unintelligent and indifferent.
Quote:
It must use the argument "complex things had to be made by more complex things" correct? Well, you either assume your creator is more complex or the argument does not lead to its conclusion. Intelligent design arguments don't work without assumptions.
What assumptions do you make about your creator . . "nature"?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your assumed creator is "nature" . . . or you have to deny the abundance of creation going on around you . . . you just think your creator is stupid and unintelligent and indifferent.What assumptions do you make about your creator . . "nature"?
"Nature" is not a perceivable creator - as was stated. The abundance of observable masses of energy does not tell me anything at all other than that they exist -- that's the only "assumption" that I feel comfortable making (I don't assume that "nature" has an intelligence level).
Any further assumptions move into the realm of presumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality