Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 AM
RSH

147 posts, read 258,183 times

Advertisements

Religion is just that religion,Just like the pharisees,who's right who's wrong
Every religion is right or is it each individuals religion is right.
Religion is a little distracting.Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.I don't recall Jesus saying that you have to be religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:18 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The Islam outlook on other religions seems to be that they are all infidels and they will go to hell.

The Christian outlook on other religions seems to be that they are all heathens and blasphemers, and they will go to hell.

Jews, more of the same.

Here is a description of the Buddhist outlook on people of other religions:

No Buddhist who understands the Buddha's teaching thinks that other religions are wrong. No one who, has made a genuine effort to examine other religions with an open mind could think like that either. The first thing you notice when you study the different religions is just how much they have in common. All religions acknowledge that mankind's present state is unsatisfactory. All believe that a change of attitude and behavior is needed if the human situation is to improve. All teach an ethics that includes love, kindness, patience, generosity and social responsibility and all accept the existence of some form of Absolute. They use different languages, different names and different symbols to describe and explain these things; and it is only when they narrow-mindedly cling to their one way of seeing things that religious intolerance, pride and self-righteousness arise.

Imagine an Englishman, a Frenchman, a Chinese and an Indonesian all looking at a cup. The Englishman says, "That's a cup." The Frenchman answers, "No it's not. It's a tasse." The Chinese comments, "You're both wrong. It's a pet." And the Indonesian laughs at the others and says "What fools you are. It's a cawan." The Englishman gets a dictionary and shows it to the others saying, "I can prove that it is a cup. My dictionary says so." "Then your dictionary is wrong," says the French- man "Because my dictionary clearly says it is a tasse." The Chinese scoffs at them. "My dictionary is thousands of years older than yours, so my dictionary must be right. And besides, more people speak Chinese than any other language, so it must be a pet." While they are squabbling and arguing with each other, a Buddhist comes up and drinks from the cup. After he has drunk, he says to the others, "Whether you call it a cup, a tasse, a pet or a cawan, a cup is meant to be used. Stop arguing and drink, stop squabbling and refresh your thirst." This is the Buddhist attitude to other religions.

Is there such a thing as truth? If 2 people disagree on a subject, is one wrong?

Christianity, buddhism and islam all have much different ideas of sin/salvation. Only one of them can be right.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:28 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Is there such a thing as truth? If 2 people disagree on a subject, is one wrong?

Christianity, buddhism and islam all have much different ideas of sin/salvation. Only one of them can be right.
Actually, they could all be wrong couldn't they?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually, they could all be wrong couldn't they?

You know my answer in regards to Christianity. I believe it is correct. But ultimately...you can't have 3 things that disagree, and all 3 be right.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
not only. his followers and supporters may be too busy to recognize the little buddhas living apart from televised stardom.
Some Buddhists turn my engine on.

Say, Miranda Kerr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........... I'm getting a seizure.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:03 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
The Islam outlook on other religions seems to be that they are all infidels and they will go to hell.

The Christian outlook on other religions seems to be that they are all heathens and blasphemers, and they will go to hell.

Jews, more of the same.

Here is a description of the Buddhist outlook on people of other religions:

No Buddhist who understands the Buddha's teaching thinks that other religions are wrong. No one who, has made a genuine effort to examine other religions with an open mind could think like that either. The first thing you notice when you study the different religions is just how much they have in common. All religions acknowledge that mankind's present state is unsatisfactory. All believe that a change of attitude and behavior is needed if the human situation is to improve. All teach an ethics that includes love, kindness, patience, generosity and social responsibility and all accept the existence of some form of Absolute. They use different languages, different names and different symbols to describe and explain these things; and it is only when they narrow-mindedly cling to their one way of seeing things that religious intolerance, pride and self-righteousness arise.

Imagine an Englishman, a Frenchman, a Chinese and an Indonesian all looking at a cup. The Englishman says, "That's a cup." The Frenchman answers, "No it's not. It's a tasse." The Chinese comments, "You're both wrong. It's a pet." And the Indonesian laughs at the others and says "What fools you are. It's a cawan." The Englishman gets a dictionary and shows it to the others saying, "I can prove that it is a cup. My dictionary says so." "Then your dictionary is wrong," says the French- man "Because my dictionary clearly says it is a tasse." The Chinese scoffs at them. "My dictionary is thousands of years older than yours, so my dictionary must be right. And besides, more people speak Chinese than any other language, so it must be a pet." While they are squabbling and arguing with each other, a Buddhist comes up and drinks from the cup. After he has drunk, he says to the others, "Whether you call it a cup, a tasse, a pet or a cawan, a cup is meant to be used. Stop arguing and drink, stop squabbling and refresh your thirst." This is the Buddhist attitude to other religions.
I picked up on your bold-print quote...
I don't see anything whatsoever "narrow-minded" about sticking to one's own beliefs. in fact, I think it's a very positive thing.

what I wouldn't consider positive, though, is for a person to approach the subject with "this is what I believe/practice- so therefore you must, also."

Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Quote:

There is no reason why only one of them can be right. This premise is illogical.

There are about 100 other religions on Earth too. Are you saying that only one of the is right, and the rest are totally wrong? There is absolutely no reason to believe this line of logic.

I believe that every religion is slightly wrong. Some are closer to the truth than others. And the real truth will come when you study every religion, and find the universal truths,

Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
There is no reason why only one of them can be right. This premise is illogical.

There are about 100 other religions on Earth too. Are you saying that only one of the is right, and the rest are totally wrong? There is absolutely no reason to believe this line of logic.

I believe that every religion is slightly wrong. Some are closer to the truth than others. And the real truth will come when you study every religion, and find the universal truths,

If I say 2 + 2 = 5, and you say 2 + 2 = 4.....can we both be right?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And then the Native American goes to the stream to refresh himself, he needs no cup...
And then then they all realize that the cup is not important. But the water they drink.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
If I say 2 + 2 = 5, and you say 2 + 2 = 4.....can we both be right?
Once again, your logic is very clouded. Religion is not that mudanely simple.

Religion is not like 2 + 2. Religion is like Albert Einstein working on the theory of relativity. He will try out thousands and thousand of equations before he finds one that works. And even then, the theory is not completely perfect.

It seems ignorant and stubborn to me to assume that any religion is totally, 100% correct. In light of the diversity that exists out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality