Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:57 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,977,737 times

Advertisements

I couldn't see where this question had been posted or answered in at least 5 pages so I thought I'd ask it.

I have my own beliefs, my own religious beliefs that work for me and it's really no one else's business what they are or how I use them.

I am really tired of fundamentalists asking me if I've been saved. I'm really tired of Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon's knocking on my door wanting to come in and talk to me. I'm really tired of rude people just asking me where I worship.

yep, I live in a Bible Belt state but it's still nobody's business but mine.

A lady came in my shop one day with phamplets about her religion and in front of other customers asked me in a loud voice if I had been saved. I was embarressed as were some of my customers and instead of telling her it was none of her business which would have sent her into a religious tirade about being saved, I said to her "No, I haven't been saved, I'm a Lutheran." She turned around, left my shop without another word.

How do you tell people nicely to mind their own business and I'll mind my own business so they stop trying to make you into something you don't want to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,567,847 times
You tell them that you have your own beliefs, with which you are quite satisfied, and have no interest in changing them. If they then persist, tell them that you do not discuss them with those of other beliefs.

Works for me.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,759,314 times
Just one concise little phrase works really well:

"I don't wish to discuss religion or politics..."

Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,626,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I couldn't see where this question had been posted or answered in at least 5 pages so I thought I'd ask it.

I have my own beliefs, my own religious beliefs that work for me and it's really no one else's business what they are or how I use them.

I am really tired of fundamentalists asking me if I've been saved. I'm really tired of Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon's knocking on my door wanting to come in and talk to me. I'm really tired of rude people just asking me where I worship.

yep, I live in a Bible Belt state but it's still nobody's business but mine.

A lady came in my shop one day with phamplets about her religion and in front of other customers asked me in a loud voice if I had been saved. I was embarressed as were some of my customers and instead of telling her it was none of her business which would have sent her into a religious tirade about being saved, I said to her "No, I haven't been saved, I'm a Lutheran." She turned around, left my shop without another word.

How do you tell people nicely to mind their own business and I'll mind my own business so they stop trying to make you into something you don't want to be?
I liked what you said to that rude woman. It was a nice little zinger that obviously did the trick!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,671,082 times
Sounds like you did the right thing by telling her that you were a Lutheran, I mean after all she did leave, however I do understand what you're talking about and for some reason or other it seems like it's getting worse, maybe it's because that Christianity is on the decline according to all the polls that have been taken recently and it's possible that they're scared that they're going to become a minority religion, I know that in the area where I live that a number of churches from different denominations are losing their memberships, one example is that in one large town nearby there were four Catholic churches and now because of the decline in membership the churches have to merge together as one, not enough people in the congregations to support four buildings and some of the other Protestant churches are having the same problem, so I guess they're afraid they're going to become a minority religion in the near future.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:03 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,511,178 times
Unfortunately, part of what many people believe is that their God has ordered them to go try to convince people to worship him. Their God believes in Viral Marketing.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:10 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,180,370 times
If I'm at work then this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
"I don't wish to discuss religion or politics..."
works well.

Otherwise, I tell them I'm not interested nor do I care about their religion. Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Last edited by Alpha8207; 04-21-2009 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 PM

657 posts, read 1,601,530 times
You know, living in a "bible belt" state, the closest thing i've had to someone pushing onto me, was an open invite to attend a church. i did not accept, of course, but it wasn't as bad as some people made it sound.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:18 PM

222 posts, read 581,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I said to her "No, I haven't been saved, I'm a Lutheran." She turned around, left my shop without another word.
I noticed that sometimes better say some kind of religion (Buddhist, Lutheran, Orthodox etc) then say that you are an Atheist.
It's so stupid, so annoying.
If I have time then I tell that I'm an Atheist, and usually I get discussion. If I don't have time, or it can affect me (at work for example) then I do something like "I don't want to discuss religion, sorry".

P.S. My personal trainer tried to do this, so for next working out I put on T-shirt "Keep your religion out of my civil rights". Personal trainer do not bothering me no more.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,511,178 times
You can also say, "sure, I'd love to hear about your religion. But let me tell you about mine first."

Because people who want to talk to you about their religious beliefs, rarely want to hear about yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality