Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Wow..... I am so sorry that you have to deal with that kind of stuff.

That is why I could NEVER live in Middle-America again. I tried going there twice and both times, I went running back west after a while.

The religious ignorance in the Bible Belt is staggering. It makes America a laughing stock in many foiegn countries.

You should get out of the bible belt and move somewhere that's more diversely cultured.

That's why I'm moving out of the bible belt as soon as my husband retires in about 14 months. Yes, you're right to get out of here as soon as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
It make the bible belt a laughing stock outside the bible belt, and to a small extent, even within it.
That is true. Most people on the west coast laugh at bible-belters.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 AM

62 posts, read 163,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? When is the last time an atheist came knocking on your door, or handed you atheist literature? When were you last approached on the street and preached at by an atheist? When has an atheist asked you what church you attend, or if you are saved? When has an atheist ever told you, as you have just done, that you will roast in hell?

So let me ask you who holds themselves superior ( full of themselves )?
I take it you didn't listen to any of these folks who approached you. I suspect that you are far too sophisticated to investigate the truth of religion. So just keep headed down the path you are on. You'll find out eventually, one way or the other.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I couldn't see where this question had been posted or answered in at least 5 pages so I thought I'd ask it.

I have my own beliefs, my own religious beliefs that work for me and it's really no one else's business what they are or how I use them.

I am really tired of fundamentalists asking me if I've been saved. I'm really tired of Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon's knocking on my door wanting to come in and talk to me. I'm really tired of rude people just asking me where I worship.

yep, I live in a Bible Belt state but it's still nobody's business but mine.

A lady came in my shop one day with phamplets about her religion and in front of other customers asked me in a loud voice if I had been saved. I was embarressed as were some of my customers and instead of telling her it was none of her business which would have sent her into a religious tirade about being saved, I said to her "No, I haven't been saved, I'm a Lutheran." She turned around, left my shop without another word.

How do you tell people nicely to mind their own business and I'll mind my own business so they stop trying to make you into something you don't want to be?

we all push our beliefs on people daily. By making this thread you are telling us your beliefs.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 AM

89 posts, read 247,637 times
Quote:
That's why I'm moving out of the bible belt as soon as my husband retires in about 14 months. Yes, you're right to get out of here as soon as I can.
Moving away isn't an option for all of us. We have two young children and most of our family is here. Luckily for us, many of our family members and friends are non-theists, so we don't feel quite as isolated as others. I also love the scenic beauty and temperate climate of the Southeastern United States.

I do have a couple of in-laws, however, who ask us repeatedly if we're taking the kids to church, etc. We also avoid our neighbors, who notice that we never go to church on Sunday mornings. We just stay low-key, keep our (non) beliefs to ourselves for the most part and enjoy the company of our many loved ones who have as much respect for our beliefs as we do for theirs.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,038 times
Quote:
I couldn't see where this question had been posted or answered in at least 5 pages so I thought I'd ask it.

I have my own beliefs, my own religious beliefs that work for me and it's really no one else's business what they are or how I use them.

I am really tired of fundamentalists asking me if I've been saved. I'm really tired of Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon's knocking on my door wanting to come in and talk to me. I'm really tired of rude people just asking me where I worship.

yep, I live in a Bible Belt state but it's still nobody's business but mine.

A lady came in my shop one day with phamplets about her religion and in front of other customers asked me in a loud voice if I had been saved. I was embarressed as were some of my customers and instead of telling her it was none of her business which would have sent her into a religious tirade about being saved, I said to her "No, I haven't been saved, I'm a Lutheran." She turned around, left my shop without another word.

How do you tell people nicely to mind their own business and I'll mind my own business so they stop trying to make you into something you don't want to be?
You could try moving to another country. Maybe one without a constitution.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexva View Post
I take it you didn't listen to any of these folks who approached you. I suspect that you are far too sophisticated to investigate the truth of religion. So just keep headed down the path you are on. You'll find out eventually, one way or the other.
Well you suspect wrong.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 AM

89 posts, read 247,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
we all push our beliefs on people daily. By making this thread you are telling us your beliefs.
What? This is a forum on religion and philosophy for people who wish to discuss the subject. If you don't wish to discuss it, don't come here. It's that simple.

But when people approach you at work or school or come to your home and inquire about your beliefs, or preach theirs, it's an entirely different matter. Then it's not a permission-based conversation. And quite frankly, I'm often scared of how my family and I will be treated by fundamentalist Christians if they know we're non-believers. So I try to avoid such conversations whenever possible.

And "telling" your beliefs on this kind of forum is VASTLY different from pushing your beliefs on someone.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMeantime View Post
What? This is a forum on religion and philosophy for people who wish to discuss the subject. If you don't wish to discuss it, don't come here. It's that simple.

But when people approach you at work or school or come to your home and inquire about your beliefs, or preach theirs, it's an entirely different matter. Then it's not a permission-based conversation. And quite frankly, I'm often scared of how my family and I will be treated by fundamentalist Christians if they know we're non-believers. So I try to avoid such conversations whenever possible.

And "telling" your beliefs on this kind of forum is VASTLY different from pushing your beliefs on someone.

Thank you

Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times
Quote:
Again - I don't want my faiths examined by people who have no idea what they are saying or doing - it's my business and my business alone.
Then you shouldn't be on a discussion forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality