Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,759,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexva View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I am a Christian and I get tired of atheists trying to push their (lack of) beliefs on me. And they always act so uppity about it—like they are just too sophisticated to have faith in God. Well just wait. After a 1,000 years of roasting in the fiery pit they won’t be so full of themselves then.
Oh, I get it...this is tongue-in-cheek humor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,489,729 times
The reason some Christians "push" their beliefs is because the Bible says that if one doesn't warn the "sinner" of judgement, the sinner's blood will be on that one's hands. I've heard preachers say that this means that the Christian who fails to evangelize will go to hell.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,865,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
The reason some Christians "push" their beliefs is because the Bible says that if one doesn't warn the "sinner" of judgement, the sinner's blood will be on that one's hands. I've heard preachers say that this means that the Christian who fails to evangelize will go to hell.

So we should evangelize what a loving God we have?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,220,904 times
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. I am a Christian and I get tired of atheists trying to push their (lack of) beliefs on me. And they always act so uppity about it—like they are just too sophisticated to have faith in God. Well just wait. After a 1,000 years of roasting in the fiery pit they won’t be so full of themselves then.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
Look on the boards. Atheists say religion is fake, they insult our beliefs and say we have mental issues. It's not all atheists, just like not all religious people go door to door, but there are many who insult religion. They do tend to think they are better/smarter and braver. Christians don't insult atheists as much as atheists insult other religions.
Ime, on forums at least, dolts tend to fall under fire. If person is enough of a loon to threaten eternal lakes of hell fire, etc, "the Phelps type" then they're going to hassled (by theists and non-theists).

Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,978,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Thanks to Jesus and his disciples, christians are told to go forth and spread his word. Christians are into being missionaries.
This is exactly what I'm talking about - I don't want this kind of behavior visited upon me or mine.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,978,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

Again - I don't want my faiths examined by people who have no idea what they are saying or doing - it's my business and my business alone.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,694,908 times
Quote:
........Well just wait. After a 1,000 years of roasting in the fiery pit they won’t be so full of themselves then.
I was preparing for eternity - you let me off easy!

Last edited by calmdude; 04-21-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,136,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I couldn't see where this question had been posted or answered in at least 5 pages so I thought I'd ask it.

I have my own beliefs, my own religious beliefs that work for me and it's really no one else's business what they are or how I use them.

I am really tired of fundamentalists asking me if I've been saved. I'm really tired of Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon's knocking on my door wanting to come in and talk to me. I'm really tired of rude people just asking me where I worship.

yep, I live in a Bible Belt state but it's still nobody's business but mine.

A lady came in my shop one day with phamplets about her religion and in front of other customers asked me in a loud voice if I had been saved. I was embarressed as were some of my customers and instead of telling her it was none of her business which would have sent her into a religious tirade about being saved, I said to her "No, I haven't been saved, I'm a Lutheran." She turned around, left my shop without another word.

How do you tell people nicely to mind their own business and I'll mind my own business so they stop trying to make you into something you don't want to be?
Wow..... I am so sorry that you have to deal with that kind of stuff.

That is why I could NEVER live in Middle-America again. I tried going there twice and both times, I went running back west after a while.

The religious ignorance in the Bible Belt is staggering. It makes America a laughing stock in many foiegn countries.

You should get out of the bible belt and move somewhere that's more diversely cultured.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,498,363 times
I'm not a fan at all of those who try to cram their religious beliefs down my throat. They do more harm than good to their cause. They've turned me off religion a number of times, but eventually I came to believe in due time.

I do believe that the most effective way to influence others about faith, is by truly, and I do mean TRULY, living your faith by example. It's like the old adage, "You collect more flies with honey than vinegar."

Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,694,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
......The religious ignorance in the Bible Belt is staggering. It makes America a laughing stock in many foiegn countries.

It make the bible belt a laughing stock outside the bible belt, and to a small extent, even within it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality