Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

Once when I was about twenty years old I was just waking up in the morning and for a split second I had one of the strangest sensations I've ever had in my life. It felt like my consciousness was located two or three feet above my body and I was looking down at my legs. I don't believe this was an out of body experience because I realize that my consciousness resides in my brain and doesn't have the capability to just wander off but it was a strange event that I've never forgotten. I have the feeling that when we're in that state when we're not quite asleep but haven't quite woken up that our mind can play tricks on us and that's all that this amounted to. Of course many people claim that they have looked down at their entire body including their head and that this often takes place when they've suffered a life threatening accident and are at the brink of death.
Have any of you experienced what you consider to be a real out of body experience and if so could you describe it in detail and if possible provide information that you sensed in this state that you shouldn't have been able to detect. This would include such things as viewing the activities of individuals that were out of sight from where you body was situated or something of that nature. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Yeah I had a few of those when I smoked the green stuff

I have had them also in my teens. IMO I do not believe dreams happen real time and the ones you remember oddly enough are followed by immediate consciousness.

I read somewhere that the brain still develops till we are 25 IIRC so maybe these teen dreams are a result of external influences that are in our unconscious state are reshuffled in our "memory banks"

I stay on a busy road and when the buses pass my house at five in the morning I find I get weird dreams but it is all in the process of waking up.

When I was a teen, I often had dreams of falling and floating then gently into bed awaking in a cold sweat. I am told this may have come from when I was 4 or 5 visiting the Vic falls and my dad was an amateur cinematographer. We were on the bridge and I apparently started climbing the side rails to get a better view. I was snatched by one of my parents just before I got to the top or something and psychologists made that connection, of course that was many years ago. Who knows?

Of course, there are theories, one can leave the body and that opens it up to possessions by evil spirits when you are "away" but I kinda think that is campfire boogyman stories.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 AM

176 posts, read 638,787 times
MontanaGuy:

Not deterring from the spiritual aspect of these things if they really do occur, but there is a name in Medicine to what you described in your post, and it is very natural.

It is called a Hypnopompic hallucination, as is known clinically to occur upon waking. It's sister hallucination, is called a Hypnogognic one, and that occurs right before falling asleep.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Out of body experiences are normal for all humans although most humans don't let go of the material long enough to experience this. Your soul does indeed travel. As long as the "silver cord" is attached, you are alive and can go anywhere, even to the spirit worlds. When that cord is severed, you are dead.
It mostly happens in the alpha state. As you described, it only happens inbetween wake and sleep. Most people travel in their sleep and don't realize it and say it's only dreaming.
It is a gift from God so don't let fear guide you to believe otherwise. I would start a journal if you haven't already. i've not experienced it yet but someday, when the things that brought fear into my life are gone, I hope to live it.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Out of body experiences are normal for all humans although most humans don't let go of the material long enough to experience this. Your soul does indeed travel. As long as the "silver cord" is attached, you are alive and can go anywhere, even to the spirit worlds. When that cord is severed, you are dead.
It mostly happens in the alpha state. As you described, it only happens inbetween wake and sleep. Most people travel in their sleep and don't realize it and say it's only dreaming.
It is a gift from God so don't let fear guide you to believe otherwise. I would start a journal if you haven't already. i've not experienced it yet but someday, when the things that brought fear into my life are gone, I hope to live it.

When I read that, the first thing that popped into my head was the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Pullman... have you read them? If not, you might enjoy them.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
When I read that, the first thing that popped into my head was the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Pullman... have you read them? If not, you might enjoy them.
No, but I can check them out. I like to read.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
I had about 4 when I was a teenager and none since. Each were about the same kind of thing: I was asleep (dream? I believe that is likely but I was and am open to other possibilities) and I would "wake up" and leave my body there in the bed. I could see it and the rest of my room just as I would if I were awake - darkened by the night. My "astral body" seemed to be floating but also have weight. Like it would hover around the floor unless I willed it to move upwards. Each time I floated along the floor right out my bedroom door (left ajar for the cat) and move into other areas of my house. It was aways dark as if it were real-time. Each time I would kind of float around my house looking up close at things like the fireplace and mantle. I could move around kind of like a helium balloon -- slowly but generally in the direction that I wanted. During the 2nd or maybe 3rd time, I had the thought that maybe I was experiencing astral travel or whatever and I got really excited thinking that maybe I could just float out the door and then...who knows where. Then I would get gripped with fear - kinda panicky - and then I would wake up in my body, in my bed. That same thing happened twice. And then never again. It was so real that I always wondered about the possibility that I had projected astrally. But it could also easily have been simple dreams. Hasn't happened since I was probably 15.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
MontanaGuy:

Not deterring from the spiritual aspect of these things if they really do occur, but there is a name in Medicine to what you described in your post, and it is very natural.

It is called a Hypnopompic hallucination, as is known clinically to occur upon waking. It's sister hallucination, is called a Hypnogognic one, and that occurs right before falling asleep.

oh great, thank you!

it's always good when some established profession attaches a name or a label to something otherwise only suspect.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,604 times
I was 25 I quit breathing my husband called an ambulance when I got to the hospital I was laying on the hospital bed coma and I was I had an out of body experience I was floating above the hospital bed and looking down at myself and everybody elseI was trying to talk to them but nobody could hear me

Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,604 times
I'm sorry everyone was standing there I was trying to talk to them but they acted as if I wasn't there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality