Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Slash,
Your OP mentions things that are debatable. The philosophers I've read may disagree with the OP.
I'm an atheist who believes life is meaningless.
This is a generality. That does not mean that we should all merely exist. Anyone can put meaning into their lives; it's personal responsibility.
To those who have chosen to serve religion. Don't forget that christianity is not the only religion which claims to give meaning to people's lives. Religion merely offers one size fits all, pre-packaged "meanings to life", which can be accepted by those who do not have any desire to investigate (in their own minds) about the meaning of life. No thought process involved. To accept religion as the "meaning of life" is for those who are in a hurry to discover the meaning of life. This can be a life long process. In this regard, philosophy is the direction to go, not religion.
To me, religion is meaningless.
I just watched a program today when I got home on the History Channel. It dealt with the outlook many people born in atheistic China feel about their life and the meaning of it. It was similiar outlook to yours, but they actually hate it. They mentioned how tired they were of a meaningless life and existence of doing nothing but surviving and working a meaningless unrewarding factory job for almost no good pay for goods the communist government profits off selling to America.

Although I have met a lot of atheist over the years, I don't believe all view life as meaningless. Many make the most of their lives. If all you've got then is this forum for meaning, well then I can understand your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I just watched a program today when I got home on the History Channel. It dealt with the outlook many people born in atheistic China feel about their life and the meaning of it. It was similiar outlook to yours, but they actually hate it. They mentioned how tired they were of a meaningless life and existence of doing nothing but surviving and working a meaningless unrewarding factory job for almost no good pay for goods the communist government profits off selling to America.

Although I have met a lot of atheist over the years, I don't believe all view life as meaningless. Many make the most of their lives. If all you've got then is this forum for meaning, well then I can understand your position.
The History Channel is not always accurate. I don't have/want a TV, but I've seen some programs on the History Channel which have distorted history.
Some people are intellectually lazy to think about a meaning for life. They can either then hate life, or accept religion.
The Unites States has many people who work low paying, unrewarding jobs. Many believe that they will be rewarded in the afterlife.
Don't make the assumption that this forum is all I have. That seems like a self-righteous, smug attitude; christian snobbery. How would you know that this forum is all I have?
I do things with my life.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The History Channel is not always accurate. I don't have/want a TV, but I've seen some programs on the History Channel which have distorted history.
Some people are intellectually lazy to think about a meaning for life. They can either then hate life, or accept religion.
The Unites States has many people who work low paying, unrewarding jobs. Many believe that they will be rewarded in the afterlife.
Don't make the assumption that this forum is all I have. That seems like a self-righteous, smug attitude; christian snobbery. How would you know that this forum is all I have?
I do things with my life.
Well, first off, I don't believe I've ever seen one possitive post from your keypad anywhere. Secondly, in the post I quoted earlier, you seem to even have it in for yourself.

Since you have so much time on your hands and are looking for some meaningful reading to upgrade your life, why don't you read Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's book called "The Gulag Archipelago"
The Gulag Archipelago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe that will help explain what took place in an atheistic society and the meaningless of life. Very informative book. I'm sure even a Latvian will enjoy this one.

Last edited by bluepacific; 05-04-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Accident??? Well, the first time Sir Fleming found Penicillum Notatum, it was, indeed, an accident. Upon realizing some of the attributes of this mold, he proceeded to grow more. The second Petri Dish w/the mold was not an accident, he grew it on purpose. One, or more accidents does not necessarily mean that all things are accidents. As a human being, I am responsible for my choices in life, and, for the most part, my actions are somewhat deliberate. Are they all deliberate? No. Are they all accidental? No. Some are, some are not, it is called life, an everchanging condition. Sometimes it is as if I am the ball in a pinball machine, hectic. Other times it is a quite walk in the woods, peaceful. With a myriad of options in between, wherein I normally reside.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Well, first off, I don't believe I've ever seen one possitive post from your keypad anywhere. Secondly, in the post I quoted earlier, you seem to even have it in for yourself.

Since you have so much time on your hands and are looking for some meaningful reading to upgrade your life, why don't you read Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's book called "The Gulag Archipelago"
The Gulag Archipelago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe that will help explain what took place in an atheistic society and the meaningless of life. Very informative book. I'm sure even a Latvian will enjoy this one.
Are you trying to say that there were no atheists in the gulags? That only the religious were imprisoned? Stalin's rise to power was not about Atheism.

During Stalin's rule the following ethnic groups were deported completely or partially: Ukrainians, Poles, Koreans, Volga Germans, Crimean Tatars, Kalmyks, Chechens, Ingush, Balkars, Karachays, Meskhetian Turks, Finns, Bulgarians, Greeks, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, and Jews.
Joseph Stalin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see anything here about people of any religion other than Jews.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 AM

269 posts, read 1,267,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post
2.) If God doesn't exist, which will more than likely be your answer, why do you question life and how we came about? If we die and nothing awaits afterwards, why do you really care about why we're here or why we came about? Why do some of you spend a large portion of your life truly seeking answers? Since nothing happens after we die, there's no reason for you to question anything, since you won't ever know if your right or wrong anyways. So why do Atheists care? If we just die and that's it, you shouldn't be questioning why at all, since you'll never find out.
I'm just here for the ride!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
This is more of a subjective viewpoint rather than objective truth. Theists contend that if there is no god then life is inherently pointless and meaningless, this is not true though. It may be true that if the theists stopped believing in god, then their life will become pointless although that isn't objectively verifiable. Purpose and meaning in ones life come from within, not an external source(ie god). The notion that without god, life becomes purposeless assumes that purpose needs to be dictated by a third party. This is not so though. Someone may have come into this world through random/accidental processes, that doesn't necessarily mean that their life is pointless. While the universe is indifferent to whether or not ones life is purposeful, people adapt to this and give their life meaning and purpose. Purpose comes from what gives someone fulfillment in life. Someone may gain fulfillment from any number of things in life such as raising children to be fine adults, food and feasting, lust, working hard etc. It also seems like a purposeless purpose for humans sole purpose in life is to serve/worship some invisible friend rather than finding what gives them enjoyment in life.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Are you trying to say that there were no atheists in the gulags? That only the religious were imprisoned? Stalin's rise to power was not about Atheism.

During Stalin's rule the following ethnic groups were deported completely or partially: Ukrainians, Poles, Koreans, Volga Germans, Crimean Tatars, Kalmyks, Chechens, Ingush, Balkars, Karachays, Meskhetian Turks, Finns, Bulgarians, Greeks, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, and Jews.
Joseph Stalin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see anything here about people of any religion other than Jews.
No seriously, read what Solthenitsyn said on the subject. The man was'nt a total buffoon. He did receive the much sought after secularist progressive "Nobel Peace Prize" for his thoughts and writtings. For the moment I don't have time to open the book and quote it, but I can. I'm simply mentioning something from a well known recognizable man who had first hand experience with that situation. Whether you like it or not, the info is still interesting.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This is more of a subjective viewpoint rather than objective truth. Theists contend that if there is no god then life is inherently pointless and meaningless, this is not true though.
Okay, let's get one thing straight, that meanlinglessness of life comment was from one of your commrads, Vildo, so maybe you should also see what I said in defense of other atheists.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
Okay, let's get one thing straight, that meanlinglessness of life comment was from one of your commrads, Vildo, so maybe you should also see what I said in defense of other atheists.
The OP was saying that life was pointless without the belief in god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality