Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
After thinking about my old thread about Adam and Eve a number of other questions have popped into my head. These aren't from some website, they're questions I came up with myself. Ok, so God created Adam from dust and Eve from a rib and they were both adults when they were created according to Genesis. Somehow they know how to speak a language which Eve apparently spoke when she was having a conversation with the talking serpant. This even happens on page 2 in Genesis so right off the bat the fall of mankind takes place and Adam and Eve are kicked out of the garden of eden. So my first question is this, how do Adam and Eve know about sex? Neither of them had even seen a baby or a child because there weren't any and yet Eve becomes pregnant and gives birth to Cain. Now how does Eve understand what it means to be pregnant and who delivers the baby? In fact how would they even know what a baby was?
First up, you should read this thread I wrote here to understand the context of what the book of Genesis means: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...religious.html

Now, you can see that this is clearly allegorical and not literall. The Garden represents our walk toward sentients from the animal world and the beginning of what we know as "civilization". It's about the burden of our understanding of our place in the universe (the tree of knowledge) which is both liberating and burdening.

There are also more then one ways of viewing the story of Genesis, as well as another side (i.e., the Serpent's) side of the story: The Hypostasis of the Archons -- The Nag Hammadi Library

But understand, if you are trying to make literral sense of the Bible, it's like hearing a famous Jimmy Hendrix song and, instead of "getting it", i.e., just enjoying the song, yelling "how the heck can somebody 'hold hands and watch the sun rise from the bottom of the sea?' "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Here's your answer: Adam and Eve never existed, and these events never happened.
Dingdingdingdingding!! Give that man a cigar!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:08 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Well, if God created Adam from dust and Eve from Adam's rib, then I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for a baby to be delivered. Adam could have delivered the baby. I mean Adam wasn't dumb from what I read in the bible. He worked, and He also named the animals.
My 2 year old can name animals. Doesn't mean she should be an obstetrician, though.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:26 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
My 2 year old can name animals. Doesn't mean she should be an obstetrician, though.
Your two year old can only name an animal when taught. Let's get real. Your two year old just don't come out of the womb talking and naming animals.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Your two year old can only name an animal when taught. Let's get real. Your two year old just don't come out of the womb talking and naming animals.
Those who look for answers in myth and make believe abandon logic and reason...Who do you think taught Adam all he knew since he was supposedly "born" without parents? Do you realize how silly the entire genesis story is to those of us with ordinary common sense?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 PM

71 posts, read 112,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Adam and Eve were not the first humans on earth. The bible tells you that but it's not true. They came thousands of years after the first humans evolved. The garden was actually made for them by other humans so that when they got here, all they had to do was take care of it.
Their children were delivered by midwives.
From what I have read and understand, pain was not something that they endured bacause they were pure. After the fall is when they began to experience the animalistic instincts and tendencies.
Your bible tells you they were the first. Where do you read that they were not the first? I'm interested

Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Those who look for answers in myth and make believe abandon logic and reason...Who do you think taught Adam all he knew since he was supposedly "born" without parents? Do you realize how silly the entire genesis story is to those of us with ordinary common sense?
Sanpeur, I'm going to be honest, I'm not going to ever waste anymore of my time debating with you because of your last post of lieing about your so called research, and not having what you propose to have what you say. I really don't feel the need to spend any time with someone who says one thing, but really try to prove something that they really never had.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
After thinking about my old thread about Adam and Eve a number of other questions have popped into my head. These aren't from some website, they're questions I came up with myself. Ok, so God created Adam from dust and Eve from a rib and they were both adults when they were created according to Genesis. Somehow they know how to speak a language which Eve apparently spoke when she was having a conversation with the talking serpant. This even happens on page 2 in Genesis so right off the bat the fall of mankind takes place and Adam and Eve are kicked out of the garden of eden. So my first question is this, how do Adam and Eve know about sex? Neither of them had even seen a baby or a child because there weren't any and yet Eve becomes pregnant and gives birth to Cain. Now how does Eve understand what it means to be pregnant and who delivers the baby? In fact how would they even know what a baby was?

Who delivered cro-magnon women's children, and how did they understand what it meant to be pregnant or know what a baby was?

We've medicalized childbirth, but it's not in fact a medical event. I know, I've done it twice. I was just a stupid teenager both times.
It's not rocket science, you don't have to know what's going on or "what a baby is", instinct kicks in. Women know what to do. It's primal.
Many a woman has delivered all alone, successfully, since the dawn of time.
If they hadn't, none of us would be here.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adryan View Post
Your bible tells you they were the first. Where do you read that they were not the first? I'm interested
I don't read the bible. I got that answer from the Urantia Book. There is a lot of truth in that book but, like all written books, it's not 100% truth. You have to decide what to believe or not.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Jane72 wrote:
Quote:
Many a woman has delivered all alone, successfully, since the dawn of time.
If they hadn't, none of us would be here.
I do think you make some good points and I agree there must be some instinctual processes going on during a pregnancy. It's just the oddity of the story of Adam and Eve who had never even seen a child but then they go on to give birth to their own children. Since they had never been children how would they even know that children grow up to be adults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality