Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times

Advertisements

How does God feel about people selling illegal drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Interesting, cannabis sativa and cannabis indica are plants. They have been growing for thousands of years, since I am not a believer I do not think that god created these plants, and others, for his own purposes. The coca tree (well.... it's actually sorta like a low lying shrub) has also been around for a loooooooong time too. And.....rumor has it that poppies grow wild in various parts of the world, and have for thousands of years, and (again) psylicybin rubenski (sorry about the spelling, it may well be amiss) Peyote and a couple of other things found in rainforests could also be considered as "dangerous drugs" depending on how many one did. There is actually somewhat of a long list of psychotrophic substances found on planet earth, my tendency is to say they evolved for a reason I do not understand, I never claimed to fully understand nature. I enjoy it, or, at least I used to more than I do nowadays. Now,....maybe there is another god doing a bit of creating on his/her own... hey.... if ya gonna believe in one, ya might as well believe in a bunch of em. That way, when one says "no" to your requests, revert to plan "B" and ask another one. Now, my question is, for those who believe in creation, if your god did not intend for you to use these substances, then why did it create them?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
There is nothing inherently immoral about putting anything you want into your own body, so I don't see how anyone could argue that drug dealing is immoral. At least not from a moral standpoint, because trying to restrict autonomy itself is immoral.

*Continues smoking from bong*

Old 05-22-2009, 08:30 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
I was told by my mentor that there is a tribe in Africa that would smoke the stuff on a daily basis. As the participants aged, their minds became distorted and they eventually went insane. Not all of them but the ones who smoked it the most.
I wouldn't say that God has a problem with it, it just isn't beneficial to the body for recreational purposes, just like alcohol. I do believe, however, that there are medicinal properties to it. We would need the trafficers because apparently, the FDA doesn't see things that way.
I used to smoke the stuff quite a bit. Haven't done so in quite a while but I get a hankering every once in a while. Of course, I have to ask if I would rather be stoned or be active. Active always wins.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:35 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times
We are commanded by scripture to obey the leaders over us. We are also told that our bodies are a temple of the Spirit.

Those 2 items would lead me to conclude that since most of the illegal drugs are harmful in some way...and we'd be breaking the law if we did so....it's just not something God would approve of.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:40 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
We are commanded by scripture to obey the leaders over us. We are also told that our bodies are a temple of the Spirit.

Those 2 items would lead me to conclude that since most of the illegal drugs are harmful in some way...and we'd be breaking the law if we did so....it's just not something God would approve of.
Ok, if illegal drugs are harmful, what about legal drugs? They are as much, if not more, harmful than the illegal ones. A drug is a drug is a drug.

What your saying is if the FDA approves a drug it's ok even though your aunt went blind or became paralyzed by the drug. Whether legal or not, drugs are drugs.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:44 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Ok, if illegal drugs are harmful, what about legal drugs? They are as much, if not more, harmful than the illegal ones. A drug is a drug is a drug.

What your saying is if the FDA approves a drug it's ok even though your aunt went blind or became paralyzed by the drug. Whether legal or not, drugs are drugs.

I understand. I personally know of a woman that is addicted to prescription pain killers. She has gone doctor shopping to get her fix.

Other drugs are harmful in other ways.

How does God feel about 'em? I think there's a bit of a reduced culpability depending on your motives. If you are innocently doing what your doctor prescribes...I don't have issue. If you're the doc prescribing things that you know will do more harm than good? That's not cool.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 AM

520 posts, read 895,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Interesting, cannabis sativa and cannabis indica are plants. They have been growing for thousands of years, since I am not a believer I do not think that god created these plants, and others, for his own purposes. The coca tree (well.... it's actually sorta like a low lying shrub) has also been around for a loooooooong time too. And.....rumor has it that poppies grow wild in various parts of the world, and have for thousands of years, and (again) psylicybin rubenski (sorry about the spelling, it may well be amiss) Peyote and a couple of other things found in rainforests could also be considered as "dangerous drugs" depending on how many one did. There is actually somewhat of a long list of psychotrophic substances found on planet earth, my tendency is to say they evolved for a reason I do not understand, I never claimed to fully understand nature. I enjoy it, or, at least I used to more than I do nowadays. Now,....maybe there is another god doing a bit of creating on his/her own... hey.... if ya gonna believe in one, ya might as well believe in a bunch of em. That way, when one says "no" to your requests, revert to plan "B" and ask another one. Now, my question is, for those who believe in creation, if your god did not intend for you to use these substances, then why did it create them?
You would be suprised at the amount of everyday foods that contain pshyco-active chemicals. Lettuce, nutmeg, bananas, to name a few.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
Too many myths are connected to various substances - especially the one about people going insane. Nothing more than fear tactics. Granny once heard from a friend of a friend of a friend about someone who became insane. Wow, what evidence!
To some anything which expands the mind is labeled as unhealthy. Of course, we should all be good little robots, obey our leaders and do as we are told without question. Doing otherwise is considered as "harmful".
Selling anything is a concept created by humans. Only those who own something can sell it. Who gives them the right to own it? Many substances grow naturally. Because of that they are cheap to produce, which certainly must be a painful thorn in the flesh of the profit oriented pharma industry.
I've smoked plenty of weed and do not suffer the "harm". My mind functions very well. And I've never felt any urges to harm others. If god approves or not is not of any interest to me.
It is humans that have classified certain substances as illegal, not any deity.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
I think the Christian God is against anything that might be fun. So, you can take your answer from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality