Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
People still can converet though? Are they treated the same as Jews who did not have to convert.
Yes, people can convert, and they then have full status as Jews, including passing it on to their children through the mother's bloodline. In Orthodox Judaism, if you convert, you are not able to marry a Cohanim, but other than that, full status.

Conversion is a long drawn out extensive process, and people all along the way are discouraged from it, in a variety of ways.

However, it depends what sort of rabbi (orthodox, reform, conservative) performs the conversion, as it affects whether you have Jewish status in Israel, and whether you are seen as a Jew by different streams of Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I am Jewish by blood. But because I was not raised to be Jewish (as a practicing jew), I think that I will not be accepted, because of this, as a Jew by either the Reform or the Orthodox.

I however was raised in a Christian home as a Christian. I became saved at a young age. Because of this I will not become Jewish, as in go and convert to Judaism.

I am Christian. By religion a Christian, by blood a Jew.
i agree, Jewish by blood, but Christian by choice

i was confused until i sat down with a rabbi and he said "you're mother was a jew, your grandmother was a jew, you're a jew." Even though I had never been in a synagogue my entire life up until my late 40s.

Depending on if you have practiced another religion in your lifetime (versus no religion) and to the extent you practied that other religion, you may need to undergo a rabbinic conversion.

There is "ask a rabbi" dot org on line, which I found very helpful for me to be able to ask really basic elementary questions, that I was too shy or embarrassed or intimidated to ask anyone in person. It is free and anonymous and the people are wonderful and the information is accurate.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:17 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
In the end it won't matter really. The single MOST important part is that you have become engrafted into the commonwealth of Israel. Remember there are 12 tribes involved, of which only 3 had some of Yahudah involved. The Benyamites and Levites along with Yahudah. But Messiah is returning to unite ALL of the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel. He isn't coming for "the church". But dont' tell that to a christian on sun day ;-)

Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
I am a blood born Jew (I guess you would call it...), yet my mother converted to Christianity when she wanted to marry my step- dad... So, I'm Jewish by blood (through my mother and biological father), but since my mother "renounced" the faith, there are some temples who don't consider me Jewish.

To me the biggest difference is that of all the Jews and Christians I know of, we Jews tend to be more accepting and open minded. I can't tell you how many arguments I have gotten into with Christians about the most mundane things. And I LOVE it when the Gideons stop me and try to give me a NT bible... I always ask if it would be okay to hand out the OT also and make it even.

Most of all, on a serious note, to me, what I love about being Jewish is that my relationship is with GOD, not through an intermediary, but directly with God. I don't have to answer to any saints, prophets, etc.. My relationship with Him is important to me and I think a lot of Christians have lost that. They are all about their relationship with Mary and Jesus and the Saints. Mary and Jesus were JEWS first. They had a relationship with Him first and foremost.

Maybe people need to re-evaluate where their true faith lies... it's either with God or with their Idols. Can't be with both.
I have a question for you. How much do you know about Judaism ?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
well there is some truth to that. Indeed even Yahushua the Messiah taught us how to pray, and it was directly to our Abba YHVH, NOT through je-us but directly to YHVH. Even YHVH said "Call upon MY name", NOT the name of je-us. so I would be in agreement there. Even in the "Shema" one of the most holy of all prayers it does state YHVH is our Elohim YHVH is ONE, not multiples. So I'll stick with that. YHVH didn't change HIS mind, nor did the Messiah for that matter, but the xtians sure do and did

Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
well there is some truth to that. Indeed even Yahushua the Messiah taught us how to pray, and it was directly to our Abba YHVH, NOT through je-us but directly to YHVH. Even YHVH said "Call upon MY name", NOT the name of je-us. so I would be in agreement there. Even in the "Shema" one of the most holy of all prayers it does state YHVH is our Elohim YHVH is ONE, not multiples. So I'll stick with that. YHVH didn't change HIS mind, nor did the Messiah for that matter, but the xtians sure do and did
Yes, but they've got that convenient "out" clause: NT supplants OT, so they're free to ignore whatever they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality