Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Sounds like you were able to watch the video.
And from what you described it also sounds like its fossilized and not mummified. Is that correct?

Correct. It's a fossil. But it's a much more intact fossil which isn't more commonly found. The term "mummy", is used to indicate that more than just bones had been preserved. The skin, tissue, organs, etc. are also preserved. Although everything can be seen or examined, it's still a rock-hard fossil. Unfortunately, no one is going to be dining on dino steaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Every fact that doesn't confirm to your biblical view....Which is almost everything in the modern world.
Great, more empty ended statements with no content.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
"Creation Ministries National" ?

Are these PHD's from "Jimbo's Southern College of Intelligent Design"? You've gotta do a WHOLE lot better then that.
Oh please, here's Discovery News. And they will tell you the same thing. Now what are you going to say, that the scientist are really plants from Creation Ministeries? LOL
T.Rex Fossils Yield Soft Tissue : Discovery News

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Oh for pete's sake! Talk about a biased point of view. What do you expect an article from Creation Ministries International to say? They cry foul at anything that disagrees with their Young Earth view. Looks to me like the only reason you've posted this link is because it has two words that appeal to you: Creation, and Ministries. If they had said dinosaurs were brought to Earth by aliens, that'd be good enough proof for you.

Let's assume that the final determination is that the tissue is indeed (1) not contaminated, and (2) is in fact tissue that is not petrified. It would indeed be an incredible find. One suggestion is that it may have something to do with the sandstone as some kind of preservative.

The National Geographic article states the hadrosaur leg is about 80 million years old. There was a previous tissue discovery of a T-Rex thought to be around 68 million years old. Even if the tissue is not petrified, these creatures have been dead for millions of years. It only means that soft tissues can be preserved for millions of years under certain conditions. That's a far cry from your claim that dinos were alive and well 900 years ago or less, maybe even now. It also puts a damper on a 6000-year-old Earth.
Oh for Pete's sake. If National Geographic saw a dinosaur walking down the middle of the street, they would tell you it was an 80 million year old living dinosaur. And I think you would believe them. If you were cooking dinosaur burgers in your backyard. National Geographic would tell you, their 80 million year old dinosaur burgers. And when National Geographic saw soft stretchable tissue, and blood cells from a dinosaur, that should not even exist. They will still tell you they are 80 million years old. There is a time when common sense has to kick in. And the discovery of soft tissue from dinosaurs, only helps to confirm the Biblical account. And it was science, that told us it would be impossible for soft tissue to last much more than some thousands of years. Now it can exist for 65 million years? I believe your the one, who is more likely to believe anything your told. No doubt, if National Geographic told you that soft tissue can last 100 trillion years, I think you would believe that to.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:54 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Oh for Pete's sake. If National Geographic saw a dinosaur walking down the middle of the street, they would tell you it was an 80 million year old living dinosaur. And I think you would believe them. If you were cooking dinosaur burgers in your backyard. National Geographic would tell you, their 80 million year old dinosaur burgers. And when National Geographic saw soft stretchable tissue, and blood cells from a dinosaur, that should not even exist. They will still tell you they are 80 million years old. There is a time when common sense has to kick in. And the discovery of soft tissue from dinosaurs, only helps to confirm the Biblical account. And it was science, that told us it would be impossible for soft tissue to last much more than some thousands of years. Now it can exist for 65 million years? I believe your the one, who is more likely to believe anything your told. No doubt, if National Geographic told you that soft tissue can last 100 trillion years, I think you would believe that to.
So it all comes down to proof the world is only 6000 years old, does it?

You peope discard libraries full of evidence to the contrary and cling tiny questionable bits and pieces of supposed "proof"...

...Which is the difference between science and fundamentalism. The idea that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that dinosaurs disppeared around 65 million years ago and that anatomically modern humans walked the earth no older than about 450,000 years ago and civilization itself about 10,000 years ago is based on mountains of evidence found and analyzed all over the world by thousands of different, (mostly) objective scientists without an agenda, not just by counting how many "and so-and-so begat so-and-so's" there are in the bible, and how many dollars there are in the collection dish at the end of services.

In a way, you are lucky to have not been burdened by a particularly large box of fact that you must justify in order to form your understanding of all that is. But just because you don't know and/or ingore the facts doesn't mean they don't exist. The universe is infinitely more complex than the fundamentalist mind, and probably even more than the scientist's. But the scientist is much closer to the truth, by virtue of their methods.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:

Is there an echo in here? LOL! Campbell, I believe YOU were the one who posted the National Geographic link. Didn't you? You make it sound as if the dino is a fresh carcass with blood pouring out of it all over the place. DO you think the thing just keeled over and dropped dead a few months ago? I'm sorry to disappoint you, but although the "tissue" can indeed be seen, it's FOSSILIZED. If you wanted to carve through it, you'd need a concrete cutter or a jackhammer.

Watch the two videos that Aeroman and I posted of a nearly complete "mummified" dinosaur nicknamed "Leonardo". It sounds like you did not. When you've done that, then by all means, please feel free to present your arguments to explain what the expert said is wrong, and why he's wrong. I'd like to hear your views about it.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default One against many many many. Bad odds!

Quote:
If you recall, science told us that we would never find soft tissue in dinosaur bones. And that was because soft tissue could only last thousands of years. However, now that we are finding dinosaurs bones with soft tissue, science is now telling us that soft tissue can last for 65 million years. (WHERE IS THE INTELLECTUAL HONESTY IN THAT)?

Tom, you always make all-encompassing statements after a single find or curiosity. As in "We are finding dinosaurs bones with soft tissue" as though they are cropping up everywhere, and you're part of the exploration team. "We"?

Really? Show me that link please ,about the worldwide occurrence and agreement by many many scientists.

Even if it were a fact, it's one find against literally tens of thousands of validated finds that place dinos as very old.

And yet again, I ask you: where did they go? The biblical passage in Job, which I just read again, is hardly unambiguous or all-encompassing. In fact, the entire book of Job is NOT about describing scientific discoveries, now is it?.

Why do I know more about the Book of Job than you do?

This is all it takes for you to dismiss everything else ever found, based on a single discussion point?

Well of course. Typical.

Now then; as always, I'm going to investigate your soft tissue find. I'll also provide the forum with some links that categorically show the true age of these fossil finds, and the validity of your claim. Of course you won't read them, I know, but the other readers will see your denialism as well.

Oldest Dinosaur Protein Found-- Blood Vessels, More
National Geographic news
May 1, 2009
John Roach
Let's see what it says. Back soon!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 PM

Default Wow! This was really easy.

So Tom; do you believe this John Roach guy's results and preliminary conclusions? I mean, you did provide the link. I agree; he is a known expert with many papers on the subject to his credit.

Do you believe him and the preliminary results for possible protein remnants he provided on this duck-billed dinosaur egg?

Yes___ or No___ would suffice for now.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Default Your Answer, Tom???

Quote:
Oh please, here's Discovery News. And they will tell you the same thing. Now what are you going to say, that the scientist are really plants from Creation Ministeries? LOL
T.Rex Fossils Yield Soft Tissue : Discovery News
This link is old, dated in 2005. There's far more recent (2009) investigations of these findings, including changes to the conclusions by the very author of the original study. After Tom answers my one simple question just above, I'll proceed. Fascinating stuff, and I'll really try to point-form it all, Tom.

Tom? Your answer please.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Great, more empty ended statements with no content.
It's all been said before Campbell. You either have a very short memory or some other problem...I refuse to continue to go around the circles you carve...It makes me dizzy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality