Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Only when you accept erroneous translations. Even then, it's a stretch..

The Truth About Behemoth | Stupid Dinosaur Lies
Your link claims his "Cedar like tail" is refering to his penis. That is taking it way out of context. To refer to it as the movement of the Cedar is one thing to change it to another body part is ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 AM

Many times the bible refers to a dragon. This is probably in reference to the animals that we know of as dinosaur. The name dinosaur was coined in 1940 by Leakey. But the term dragon gives the impression of these large lizard like animals.

Dragons can swallow one whole:
Jerimiah 51:34: Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon hath devoured me, he hath crushed me, he hath made me an empty vessel, he hath swallowed me up like a dragon, he hath filled his belly with my delicates, he hath cast me out.

They can snuff up the wind?
Jerimiah 14:"6": And the wild asses did stand in the high places, they snuffed up the wind like dragons; their eyes did fail, because there was no grass.

They can wail:
Micah 1:"8": Therefore I will wail and howl, I will go stripped and naked: I will make a wailing like the dragons, and mourning as the owls

They have dens:
Jerimiah 9:"11": And I will make Jerusalem heaps, and a den of dragons; and I will make the cities of Judah desolate, without an inhabitant.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:22 AM

20 posts, read 17,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I suspect that someone is going to present a passage from the Bible that supposedly describes dinosaurs. Even flame throwing dinos no less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
How the hell could something as awesome as fire breathing dragons go extinct?
Well the Holy Book of The Hobbit described quite clearly that Bard the Bowman slew Smaug with the famed Black Arrow thanks to Bilbo and the thrush's warning of a weak spot on the dragon's scales. Gandalf said later that Smaug was the last of the great fire-breathing dragons.

So there ya go. If a book said it, it must be true.

Praise the L-ll...er.. Tolkein..

Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanishrose1 View Post
Well the Holy Book of The Hobbit described quite clearly that Bard the Bowman slew Smaug with the famed Black Arrow thanks to Bilbo and the thrush's warning of a weak spot on the dragon's scales. Gandalf said later that Smaug was the last of the great fire-breathing dragons.

So there ya go. If a book said it, it must be true.

Praise the L-ll...er.. Tolkein..
However the Hobit makes no claim to be the word of God. The bible does.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
There is one possibility that no one has mentioned. It's quite possible that in ancient times intact fossils of dinosaurs may have been found and influenced the writings of ancient texts including the Bible. We've been digging them up for centuries.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Your link claims his "Cedar like tail" is refering to his penis. That is taking it way out of context.
No, it's using the correct translation and putting the verses back into the correct context.

Quote:
To refer to it as the movement of the Cedar is one thing to change it to another body part is ludicrous.
Yes Saint Nikk, changing things in the Bible is always ludicrous unless it serves you fundies' purposes..

Actually, this isn't changing anything - it is correcting an inaccurate translation.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
However the Hobit makes no claim to be the word of God. The bible does.
Many books claim that

Funny thing is, The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings are much better written, have fewer errors, plot holes and contradictions, and are more believable than a book supposedly written/inspired by god..

Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Many books claim that

Funny thing is, The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings are much better written, have fewer errors, plot holes and contradictions, and are more believable than a book supposedly written/inspired by god..
The man who authored them was probably one of the staunchest Christians of his time and he also converted one of his peers, who's another of those legends of the early 20th century.

Don't hurl the hobbit books out of the window now

Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
The man who authored them was probably one of the staunchest Christians of his time and he also converted one of his peers, who's another of those legends of the early 20th century.

Don't hurl the hobbit books out of the window now
The Hobit is one of my most favorite books. It is a well written story. I think that it was one of those books that shaped the fantasy genre.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Didn't Jesus ride a dinosaur?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality