Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 PM

668 posts, read 682,590 times

Advertisements

Any one else out there feel the references to drinking Christ's blood and eating his body a little revolting?

Last edited by Hoosier; 06-27-2007 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
I think references to cannibalism might be going a little overboard.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 PM

219 posts, read 718,151 times
First thing that popped into my mind was the movie Cannibal Holocaust.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:19 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Any one else out there feel the references to drinking Christ's blood and eating his body I little revolting?
You certainly aren't the first to have that reaction. The very first people who ever heard it flipped out. Christ's own disciples freaked out so much that many of them left Him.

48 "I am the bread of life.
49 "Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
50 "This is the bread which comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.
51 "I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh."
52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, "How can this man give us His flesh to eat?"
53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.
54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
55 "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.
56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me.
58 "This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever."
59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, "This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?"
61 But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble?
66 As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.

--- John 6:48-61, 66

Old 06-27-2007, 05:25 PM

668 posts, read 682,590 times
Thanks alot Mark supper will be late this even because of you. I'm sure its all a harmless play on 2000 year old terminology. But drink my blood and then chow down on my flesh....? Yeeech!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Thanks alot Mark supper will be late this even because of you. I'm sure its all a harmless play on 2000 year old terminology. But drink my blood and then chow down on my flesh....? Yeeech!
C'mon. Most 6 year olds get this concept: You are what you eat.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,128 times
Quote:
Any one else out there feel the references to drinking Christ's blood and eating his body a little revolting?
There was already a thread started regaring this subject:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...antiation.html

It's worth the read

Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,144,441 times
Quote:
I believe its symbolic and I don't think its a revolting reference because we want to have Christ be a part of our hearts.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You certainly aren't the first to have that reaction. The very first people who ever heard it flipped out. Christ's own disciples freaked out so much that many of them left Him.

48 "I am the bread of life.
49 "Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.
50 "This is the bread which comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.
51 "I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh."
52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, "How can this man give us His flesh to eat?"
53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.
54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
55 "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.
56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.
57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me.
58 "This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever."
59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, "This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?"
61 But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble?
66 As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.

--- John 6:48-61, 66
However, here are the verses that explains what he was talking about:

John 6:44-47, 63-65

44"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. 45It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me. 46No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. 47I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.

63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him."

He was speaking in spiritual terms. If we do not partake of Jesus spiritually and believe in him, you will not have everlasting life. That's what it means. From my perspective, holy communion/lord's supper is symbolic of what is spoken here. IMO, you are not literally eating the flesh of Jesus or drinking the blood of Jesus. The communion/lord's supper is observed in rememberance of Him, to remind us of his sacrifice.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:06 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
I don't know this is true but I had been told that while some religions (Adventists) did feel it was symbolic, not all do...I had been told that these other religions believe that god literally changes the wine to his blood and the wafer to his flesh at the time of communion.

I have never heard for sure if they also beleive then that it was a literal thing when it originally happened in the bible with the disciples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality