Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:03 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
You shouldn't listen to broad generalizations from the right wing "Faux News" screechmonkeys. There are no such rules in any school I have seen in this area.
I think you had better look again...I researched a bit and found that no touch rules are very common in the US...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 01:37 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
My daughter is in public kindergarten this year (She's 5). I'm not going to sit here and say that the school has taught her to be well mannered, kind, polite, or otherwise because it hasn't. She had already learned those behaviors at home, where she should have. The only thing I want the school teaching her is academics. Personally, I think it's lazy of parents to expect schools to teach their children good manners. Teachers and school personnel, be they staff at private or public schools, have enough on their plates without having to pick up the parents' slack in the behavior department.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
I always thought little girls were usually polite and quiet types,boys that is another story to some there aren't enough manner classes in the world to tame and quiet them down.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:15 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think you had better look again...I researched a bit and found that no touch rules are very common in the US...
Unfortunately, a lot of schools have implemented them because parents are not teaching their children the difference between appropriate touching and inappropriate touching before they start school. There have been incidences of young children grabbing the private parts of another child, and so the evolution of no-touch rules.

This of course goes right back to my original question: Why aren't children being taught appropriate manners before they enter school? Why didn't the OP's grandchild learn to be kind and polite before beginning kindergarten?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Like I said, that's not the case where I live. Of course, I live in a fairly liberal minded area.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of schools have implemented them because parents are not teaching their children the difference between appropriate touching and inappropriate touching before they start school. There have been incidences of young children grabbing the private parts of another child, and so the evolution of no-touch rules.

This of course goes right back to my original question: Why aren't children being taught appropriate manners before they enter school? Why didn't the OP's grandchild learn to be kind and polite before beginning kindergarten?
It's the "Nanny State" mentality.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:30 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I always thought little girls were usually polite and quiet types,boys that is another story to some there aren't enough manner classes in the world to tame and quiet them down.

Have you been out to the malls or standing near a bustop and heard the language that is coming out of these young girls mouths? My own son had girls chasing him at 15 .....we kept on our toes and averted a major problem there. Manner classes for boys? We all know boys will be boys, and girls are just little demure
who sit buy with hands folded in there laps minding their manners

Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
It's the "Nanny State" mentality.
Absolutely true. So many parents these days expect the State the raise their children for them, and of course the State can only provide "lowest common denominator" parenting. Thus you end up with people who have no respect for themselves or others.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

If you got the idea that my GD did was not taught manners at home, then I apologize for misleading you in any way. She started out as one of the most caring chldren I know.
This school is reinforcing the traits that she has already aquiried.
I have over the years volunteered in many public schools. I have seen children from good caring homes in the school setting away from parents. Much of the good behavior taught at home, goes right out the door when they are around their peers whom they want to impress with how "tough" they are. That particular school has a full- time police officer.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:19 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Oh I KNOW she will think for herself or may become a Nobel Prize winner. Hopefully not in the league of an "Al Gore" style category. She already is speaking three languages. She questions everything at four and a half. The children that are growing up with not a hint of the idea of a God are going to grow up a bit empty inside. To me the Christain school will deliver the feeling of well being, good morals, and caring about one another.
School isn't the place to learn well being, good morals, and caring for others. Home is.

Quote:
If when she gets to the age where she may question the God thing, the Jesus thing, so be it. At least she is allowed to hug her friend, unlike the public schools where they are not to touch, play tag, or any other suspected "terrorist" activity.
Holy wow, please don't tell me you believe that. Not a single school around here has a 'no touch' rule or suspects that any such thing is a 'terrorist' activity. Turn off Faux news for a little while, man.

Quote:
Indoctrination into religious thoughts, IMO, is better than indoctrination into the governmental school system. But that is just my opinion and I respect the right of anyone to say differently.

Taliban
So basically, you'd rather her learn fairy tales and lies than actually be educated and grounded in reality? Alright, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality