Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,497 times

Advertisements

how can someone be full blooded jewish and not believe in GOD. but be asked to get up and read the torrah. the nerve of the leaders of my temple. the man who does not believe in GOD is a real jerk. and i do mean a jerk. the end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,679,364 times
Some would call you an intellectual seeker.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You're agnostic.
To be Agnostic means that there is no proof that God does exist either way, and you are unsure of his existence. I thought the question, tell me if I'm wrong, was what do you call a person who believes in God but does not believe in religion.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,922,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
And don't say Gnostic.

So, I have scientific training in Anthropology and belive evolution is the most logical explanation ever presented as to how life comes about and changes.

But I also belive we are *more* than just carbon based monkeys that blink out when we die. I've studied lots of religions in depth and have come to the personal conclusion that none are the complete truth. There are clear patterns across religions that can be traced to how humans think and function. To me, it would seem a religion created by a supreme being would not show these traits. Yet despite my rejection of organized religion and without getting into detail I feel the indisputable effects of of a higher power in my life.

I've also stepped over to the "dark side" of science to study ghosts and UFOs, brought on because I keep seeing a ghost of a litte girl in my house. I later discovered a 5 year old girl did die there in 1918 from the flu pandemic, and it is still disconcerting that I see something that logically shouldn't be there. And strange enough, LOTS of otherwise sane people see unexplainable things, adding fuel to the assumption that the "vanishing smart monkey theory" is incomplete or outright wrong.

So what am I? More importantly how do I reconcile my views of existence? I know the pieces fit together but I can't figure out how.
The certain belief system that you are describing is that of a Deist. Check the link out, it's chalked full of good information all about Deism.

World Union of Deists

Deism is a belief in God through God given logic and reason, NOT man-made religion. I think you will find that you fit right in.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 10-05-2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 PM

16,744 posts, read 15,764,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The certain belief system that you are describing is that of a Deist. Check the link out, it's chalked full of good information all about Deism.

World Union of Deists

Deism is a belief in God through God given logic and reason, NOT man-made religion. I think you will find that you fit right in.
This definition concluded this thread two years ago, but never let it be said that a thread can't rise from the dead.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,864,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned reference

This is an OLD post... It's amazing what a few years and too much thinking will do to a person. I still have the ghost, though (a "quantum holographic environmental recording" is the best uprovable explanation I can come up with at the moment ), but still no sign of god. Your dear Chango is WAY past religion less theism at this point in time...

Last edited by june 7th; 10-07-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 10-06-2011, 03:13 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,525,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well said, Coyote . . . we originally were right brain dominant and receptive to its mode of revealing reality.
I disagree. If one accepts the modern theories, the left brain is primarily analytical, structured, sequential, and etc., and the right brain is primarily creative, unstructured, non-sequential, etc. Should we give them names, the Left-Brain would be "Mr. Spock" and the Right-Brain would be "Robin Williams."

Since the primary goal of earliest Mankind was survival, we "originally" had to be left-brain-dominant. Only AFTER the primary survival needs were assured could Mankind afford to exercise the right brain.

Sounds pretty much just like today, doesn't it?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,525,915 times
"What do you call someone who believes in 'god' but not religion?"

WARNING! Fasten your seat belts and place your seats & tray tables in their full, upright and most uncomfortable positions, because here comes a personal opinion!!!

Basically, ME. I call myself an Unaffiliated Christian and characterize myself as Spiritual But Not Dogmatic. I personally believe that there is a single Supreme Being who goes by many names. Whether or not said Supreme Being has a "staff", be they angels or lesser gods, is up for debate.

I consider all of mankind to be my brothers and sisters, and am (or try to be) respectful of all religious/spiritual views. Some of them make this task more difficult than others.

I also believe that organized religions, since they have been created by mankind and not the Supreme Being, have been (and continue to be) at the core of human suffering ever since the first one raised its ugly head. There are some exceptions, but then they generally don't refer to themselves as "religions."

Just my two-hundredths of a dollar, y'all. As always, YMMV.

-- Nighteyes (donning flak jacket and standing in the corner...)

Last edited by june 7th; 10-07-2011 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: The color red is reserved for mod cuts within posts. Any other color is okay to use. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:39 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,590,501 times
banal.

"dude, I am SO spiritual, but like I dont need to do anything about it"

Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,590,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I also believe that organized religions, since they have been created by mankind and not the Supreme Being, have been (and continue to be) at the core of human suffering ever since the first one raised its ugly head. There are some exceptions, but then they generally don't refer to themselves as "religions."

Just my two-hundredths of a dollar, y'all. As always, YMMV.

-- Nighteyes (donning flak jacket and standing in the corner...)
why is something created by man, who was created by G-d, inherently evil? We are thankful to G-d for medicine that was made by men, for science that was made by men, etc, etc. If humans can make good hospitals, libraries, and law courts, and that is G-d in action, why can't they make good synagogues and mosques and churches and meetings?

Oh, and the word "religion" of course appears no where in the Hebrew bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality