Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think will be the fate of atheists after death?
They will go to heaven, no punishment necessary 5 5.68%
They go to hell for an eternity 19 21.59%
The shall be punished for their beliefs, but will be forgiven eventually 2 2.27%
Other (please explain) 37 42.05%
Don't know/care 25 28.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:54 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,425,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then what about the millions (probably billions) that died before Jesus. They didn't have a chance to accept Jesus as their lord and savior.

No one has yet answered this question for me.
I'll answer it. OT believers looked forward in faith to Christ's coming and were saved even though they did not know Jesus name or the details of His earthly life. People in the OT were saved through Christ's sacrifice although that sacrifice had not yet happened. In offering unblemished animal sacrifices they were anticipating Christ's coming and His death for sin. But unlike OT believers, we know about Jesus. Of course if you don't believe the Bible, then this means nothing to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 02:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,427,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'll answer it. OT believers looked forward in faith to Christ's coming and were saved even though they did not know Jesus name or the details of His earthly life. People in the OT were saved through Christ's sacrifice although that sacrifice had not yet happened. In offering unblemished animal sacrifices they were anticipating Christ's coming and His death for sin. But unlike OT believers, we know about Jesus. Of course if you don't believe the Bible, then this means nothing to you.
I don't remember any scripture that says this. I also don't remember reading any American Indian writings that write of a savior yet to come.

The Philistines performed animal sacrifice, but they didn't believe in a messiah or the Jewish God. Those who lived in Greece didn't believe in a single God, or in a savior.

I think your idea doesn't quite fit with history.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I don't remember any scripture that says this. I also don't remember reading any American Indian writings that write of a savior yet to come.

The Philistines performed animal sacrifice, but they didn't believe in a messiah or the Jewish God. Those who lived in Greece didn't believe in a single God, or in a savior.

I think your idea doesn't quite fit with history.
My belief comes from the Bible, not American Indian writings or history.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My belief comes from the Bible, not American Indian writings or history.
Really,

Where, in the bible, does it say that anyone who didn't know who Christ was, was saved by the fact that they sacrificed animals. Lets say, to a sun god, or Jupiter, or any other of the various Gods that people all over the world have worshiped.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Really,

Where, in the bible, does it say that anyone who didn't know who Christ was, was saved by the fact that they sacrificed animals. Lets say, to a sun god, or Jupiter, or any other of the various Gods that people all over the world have worshiped.
Not going to debate this with you, read it for yourself.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I have read it, never read where it says that all people who came before christ believed in a savior, and that their animal sacrifices made up for their non believing.

You're the "Christian" if you have read it, show me the verse.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,881,591 times
Quote:
What about the pre-OT civilisations?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
You aren't going to debate with me, because you are part of the

90% OF CHRISTIANS WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BIBLE

What percentage of Christians have actually read the entire Bible?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I have read it, never read where it says that all people who came before christ believed in a savior, and that their animal sacrifices made up for their non believing.

You're the "Christian" if you have read it, show me the verse.
Not all people believed in a coming Savior. If you've read the Bible then surely you remember about the sacrificing of animals for sin. Hebrews 9:22 and all of Hebrews chapter 10.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Not all people believed in a coming Savior. If you've read the Bible then surely you remember about the sacrificing of animals for sin. Hebrews 9:22 and all of Hebrews chapter 10.
But the NT says that the only way to get to heaven is through Christ.

The OT doesn't mention Christ, and the OT only mentions that this works for Jews, not for any other group or religious group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality