Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times

Advertisements

In checking up, once again, on the supposedly correct statements by one of the more ardent and stubborn (but closed-minded) fundamentalists here on C-D's R&P forum, I came across this amazing website.

http://www.talkdesign.org/faqs/johnson.html#part5a

(Please scroll up to the top of the article first; it seems to come up partways down...)

In it, the author systematically debunks, clarifies and dissembles the various strategies now in common use by the more ardent, unthinking and, apparently, relentlessly dishonest apologists for the Christian myths about:

Evolution

Geological Column

Astronomy

and others.

The jist of the article is that, time and again, and reliably, these shrill and strident Christian folks, who often claim a moral high ground, are caught time and again, outright lying in order to confuse their audience. Lying For Jesus.

Now, I happen to know many fine Christian folks in my small town, and I do not see such evidence of outright fraudulent and insipid behavior, but here on these controversial C-D forums, hiding behind a pseudonym? Such honesty is rare on the Christian side of these many debates, where, if the real truth were known, they would always lose. Just on honesty and logic alone; we could be talking about how toasters work, and they'd still lose.

So. This links to quite a lengthy article, but for those of you in need of some educating on what you're up against, this stuff is priceless. I found it when one of the more dishonest fundies made the mistake of actually quote-mining some well-known biologists as "proof" that Evolutionary "theory" is collapsing, and all the world's scientists know it! This article debunks and illuminates, one by one, such unethical, non-Christian behavior and strategies.

Funny. Sad. Enlightening.

Please: enjoy. The Truth is Definitely Out There! Oh, and, your HONEST comments please! Honest Christians invited, please. I know you're out there somewhere!

Again:

Honesty in "Darwin on Trial"

Oh, and if you happen to find that one intereting, try this one. Your reading assignment, so to speak, from Dr. Rifleman. "All honesty, all the time!"

http://www.noanswersingenesis.org.au/a_dump_on_aig's_tas_walker.htm

Last edited by rifleman; 08-26-2009 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: clarifications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Gee rifleman I am surprised ( NOT) by no response from them "believers"!!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Default Of course they don't!

When the carnivores are on the prowl, the sickest chickens inevitably hide. Far back corner of the hive. Squawking amongst themselves....

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
When the carnivores are on the prowl, the sickest chickens inevitably hide. Far back corner of the hive. Squawking amongst themselves....
Rifleman, don't eat the poor baby gazelle

Old 08-26-2009, 02:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Quote:
cluck, cluck. Don't shoot me Mr. Rifleman I am just a baby chick LOL!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 PM

240 posts, read 437,260 times
Default my thoughts

Quote:
In checking up, once again, on the supposedly correct statements by one of the more ardent and stubborn (but closed-minded) fundamentalists here on C-D's R&P forum, I came across this amazing website.

(Please scroll up to the top of the article first; it seems to come up partways down...)

In it, the author systematically debunks, clarifies and dissembles the various strategies now in common use by the more ardent, unthinking and, apparently, relentlessly dishonest apologists for the Christian myths about:

Evolution

Geological Column

Astronomy

and others.

The jist of the article is that, time and again, and reliably, these shrill and strident Christian folks, who often claim a moral high ground, are caught time and again, outright lying in order to confuse their audience. Lying For Jesus.

Now, I happen to know many fine Christian folks in my small town, and I do not see such evidence of outright fraudulent and insipid behavior, but here on these controversial C-D forums, hiding behind a pseudonym? Such honesty is rare on the Christian side of these many debates, where, if the real truth were known, they would always lose. Just on honesty and logic alone; we could be talking about how toasters work, and they'd still lose.

So. This links to quite a lengthy article, but for those of you in need of some educating on what you're up against, this stuff is priceless. I found it when one of the more dishonest fundies made the mistake of actually quote-mining some well-known biologists as "proof" that Evolutionary "theory" is collapsing, and all the world's scientists know it! This article debunks and illuminates, one by one, such unethical, non-Christian behavior and strategies.

Please: enjoy. The Truth is Definitely Out There! Oh, and, your HONEST comments please! Honest Christians invited, please. I know you're out there somewhere!

Again:

Oh, and if you happen to find that one intereting, try this one. Your reading assignment, so to speak, from Dr. Rifleman. "All honesty, all the time!"

A Response to a Dubious Diluvium: A Tas Walker Creationist Fantasy

I would rather say it is more"Lying on Jesus",rather than a Lying for Jesus.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlisa View Post
What I actually find bizarre is the "hiding behind a pseudonym" comment

Dr. Rifleman will disclose the specs of his rifle to all of us now.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM

Default I'm NOT looking at it! I'm NOt, I'm NOT, I"m NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlisa View Post
queenlisa, I suspect you're absolutely right, if I understand your "drift". I doubt that Jesus would approve of lying for His benefit.

After all, if it's come to that, what has it come to, exactly?

The logical conundrum is simply this: if a Christian has no more proofs left (the bible being limited and quite ambiguous, after all), and is thus left with making stuff up or mis-quoting credible scientists, what does that say about them and their personal ethics and credibility?

On the other hand, the scientific community, ever-curious and endlessly asking questions about our origins, our existance, our bio-genetics, and our place in the greater Universe, continues to amass an ever-more accurate and reliable database.

Literally millions of bright minds, restless for the truth, speculate, hypothesize, and set up elegant research studes that "corner the truth", so to speak. And, once cornered, it pops out, bright and clear.

Such conclusions are at least worthy of a bit of honest review, no?

Well,, actually, according to Xtian fundies, NO. Never. No-how, no way. Absolutely, positively, NO! NONONONONONONONONOONOOOOO!!

(Oh, and while they are at it, they insult the integrity of everyone associated with painstakingly careful and thorough, honest science. Quite the intelligent and prescient comeback, I'd say.)

Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
Quote:

Evolution

Geological Column

Astronomy

and others.

Again:

A Response to a Dubious Diluvium: A Tas Walker Creationist Fantasy
They have been lying for over 2000 years; guess they think it is part of the religions business plan now.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,495 times
Isn't it a sin to lie? Oh wait, fundies have a permanent get-out-of-hell-free card thanks to Jesus. I guess they can lie (amongst other things) all they want and Jesus will forgive them.

You gotta love the irony that these are the same people who accuse atheist of having no morals for not believing. I think they may have it backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality