Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM

223 posts, read 281,283 times

Advertisements

god & jesus love everyone incl the atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
And yet, these same 5 items convinced me to be an atheist. I would have to rephrase them a bit.

1. The lack of historical evidence for either the existence of christ, and the historical errors made by the bible.
2. Evidence that prayer does not work.
3. Meeting christians who seem to be greedy, grasping and selfish.
4. Evidence that fossil records, and many other things, conclusively prove evolution.
5. Lots of biblical contradictions.
1. I believe a man called Jesus who proclaimed to be the son of God existed. I know he wasn't . And I agree the bible has many historical errors. Just too many errors and outlandish tales in general.
2. Agreed. But I'm speaking of personal experience.
3. Agreed. But I've met some very good and sincere ones too. My mom for example .
4. Exactly. 'nuff said!
5. I again concur wholeheartedly. The book contradicts itself from begining to end.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Wow! I didn't expect so many responses. Thank you!

To answer Matt who asked:

Are you bothered that agnostics or atheists come to this board? If your faith is so strong you shouldn't have a problem with dissenting opinions, in fact you should welcome them! Isn't it your duty as a christian to try to put these nonbelievers back onto the path of salvation? Or is this board just a pep rally?[/quote]

No, I'm not bothered at all. I was just curious and frankly surprised to see how many were posting. I have no problem with other's opinions. I am thankful I live in America where we have this kind of freedom. I can't put anyone on the path of salvation - that's the Holy Spirit's job. If He chooses to use something I say - fine, but it will only be because His Spirit draws a person to God - not because of me.

Actually, a pep rally isn't a bad idea. There's nothing like sharing our love and praises in concert with other believers. It strengthens and encourages us. It brings me joy to delight in my Lord.

Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 PM

152 posts, read 627,960 times
Wink love........it's for every body

Quote:
Originally Posted by james203 View Post
god & jesus love everyone incl the atheists.
Good, cuz us pagans are loveable people, too

I was baptised into the Methodist faith at a young impressionable age, went to many different church services and faiths sporadically while growing up (actually while growing older, I'm determined not to grow up) that did little for me spiritually; Married in a Pentocostal church, and at the young age of 50, finally find the niche for me....spiritually.... and She and I serve each other well.
I think as long as one is true to whatever faith and or spiritual format they chose for themselves and are not denegrating to those who chose a different way, can be civil and respectful of the multitude of beliefs out here then there is a place here for all who chose to expound, seek knowledge and clarification, and share their personal belief systems.

Blessed be.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:50 AM

275 posts, read 434,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
Good, cuz us pagans are loveable people, too

I think as long as one is... not denegrating to those who chose a different way, [we] can be civil and respectful of the multitude of beliefs out here.
And herein lies the secret. When many belief systems often, in their dogma, condemn certain other faiths (Paul in Romans I, for example, and his strongly negative view of the religions Paul calls, collectively, "idolatry") in such a resounding way, it is often hard, I think, for many people of faith to balance the "truth" of this religious foundation with the reality of our multicultural, multi-faithful society -- but perhaps this is a topic for another thread...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,315 times
a religion forum is a place for people to discuss religious views. even though an athiest doesn't believe in religion, he/she still has religious views.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Well, no one can argue about your personal experiences. But please expound on #4, please.
Sorry for not responding earlier, but to quickly answer your question,

"If slow, gradual evolution occurred, you would expect to observe a continuum of change in the fossil record. After all, if life took millions of years to arrive at its' present state of development, the earth should be filled with fossils that could be easily assembled into a number of series showing minor changes as species were evolving.

The opposite is true - no continuum! When fossils are examined they form records of existing and extinct organisms with clearly defined gaps, or missing transitional forms, consistent with a creationist's view of origins." - quoted from: http://emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/fossils.htm

I also read "The Case for Creation" by Lee Strobel which makes the same argument and goes deeper, but I felt this was the strongest point in the evolution debate.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,946 times
Default Seek and you will find

Many Atheist's have converted to Christianity, while attempting to disprove it. Such as myself, C.S Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, and many many others. So I say to all Atheist's, Agnostic's, and people from other faith's, investigate it for yourselves. Try to disprove it. Don't take my word or anybody else's word for it. I dare you.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:20 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
Many Atheist's have converted to Christianity, while attempting to disprove it. Such as myself, C.S Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, and many many others. So I say to all Atheist's, Agnostic's, and people from other faith's, investigate it for yourselves. Try to disprove it. Don't take my word or anybody else's word for it. I dare you.
You can't disprove faith....that is why it's 'faith' and not 'fact. Faith doesnt' need to be proved or disproved.

Some former Atheists do discover they have faith, but just as many former Christians and others who thought they had faith discover they prefer rational thought.

It's a two way street you are telling people to go down.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Default Fossil Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
Sorry for not responding earlier, but to quickly answer your question,

"If slow, gradual evolution occurred, you would expect to observe a continuum of change in the fossil record. After all, if life took millions of years to arrive at its' present state of development, the earth should be filled with fossils that could be easily assembled into a number of series showing minor changes as species were evolving.

The opposite is true - no continuum! When fossils are examined they form records of existing and extinct organisms with clearly defined gaps, or missing transitional forms, consistent with a creationist's view of origins." - quoted from: http://emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/fossils.htm

I also read "The Case for Creation" by Lee Strobel which makes the same argument and goes deeper, but I felt this was the strongest point in the evolution debate.
I think one of the most frustrating things for an evolutionist or atheist to explain is the fossil record. Because creationists want a steady continuum they do not understand the concept of MILLIONS AND BILLIONS of years. I normally do not like to compare inanimate objects to living organisms but it is the only comparison I can think of. If I were to set a glass of water on my kitchen counter, what record do you think there will be of it 1 year from now? 100 years from now? 1000 years from now? Do you see what I am getting at? Over time, someone will probably knock the glass over and it will shatter into a million pieces. They will sweep it up and throw it away in the trash. The garbage man will take the trash to a garbage dump and throw it in a big pile. After that, it may be burned, crushed even further, or saturated in mud. The chance 1 million years from now of even finding a fragment of that glass that came from a "set" i bought in a store are slim to none. The chance that we find fossils even now requires the perfect conditions to be met so that whatever is fossilized has remained fossilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality