Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hmmm because you know he is here and everywhere good answer but not a smart answer.
I doubt there would be any answer that would meet your approval.

It's an honest answer, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
i believe in gods. and i love the FSM. (the FSM is just chain yanking at KS school boards. i'm all for THAT.)

why do i believe... just makes much more sense to me, esp. from the historical perspective.
if i'm going to participate in a fantasy, i'm going to participate in a fun one. & one that has a sound historical basis. sound from the POV that it's documented & perpetual.

kate

Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
I believe in God because He gave me my son when all hope for children was lost. He gave me answers to questions I could not find in any book. He gave me His Love when I asked Him to Love me. He accepts who I am and not what I am and He has given me a huge playground to do what I wish. I'm blessed beyond imagining with peace, happiness and Love.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 AM

257 posts, read 407,790 times
I pretty much believe in God for the same reason man makes a video game and that's why the video game is there. It is true the universe and a video game are not the same thing, but I still believe a higher power of some sort put the universe here on purpose.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:30 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Why does anything have to have a purpose? That's what i can't comprehend about religion or any believe in a deity.
Does it make you feel good "knowing" there is a life after life? Does it make you feel good that there is an invisible being watching over you? But really, does it? If it does, then more power to you.
Now, if you believe because you afraid of Not to believe for reasons well known, then i feel sorry for you. I think most fundies believe out of fear. If there was no hell, we all would believe and be happy. Right? Once there is punishment involved, you can never get yourself out of it, because of your fears.

Religion is like Hotel California......

Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
As "today" implies some change I suppose a more recent element might be that I find the option of not believing in God unappealing. I've considered it, seriously considered it, and found it unsatisfying. Even if it takes away some difficulties it doesn't really add or provide anything. Also when you don't believe in God you end up believing in either yourself or a small group of educated people who have made a break from human history. (Because other kinds of people are theists and because no non-human intelligence is available for communication) I find that elitist and unsatisfactory.

More traditional reasons are is that in some ways I have felt God in my life and seen him effect those I love. Also because I believe in permanent things and need to believe in things greater than humanity.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As "today" implies some change I suppose a more recent element might be that I find the option of not believing in God unappealing.
Really? Is it unappealing, or is it a "must" to fit in with a crowd?

Quote:
I've considered it, seriously considered it, and found it unsatisfying. Even if it takes away some difficulties it doesn't really add or provide anything. Also when you don't believe in God you end up believing in either yourself or a small group of educated people who have made a break from human history.
What is wrong with belieiving in yourself? Actually, you're showing your weak side, not believing in yourself. I find it very strange. If i take away your god, then who is there to trust but yourself? Weird! There is no greater power to help you if your brain decides to leave the building.

Quote:
(Because other kinds of people are theists and because no non-human intelligence is available for communication) I find that elitist and unsatisfactory.
I am yet to find a way to communicate with a non-human intelligence. At least when i talk to myself i can expect to get an answer.

Quote:
More traditional reasons are is that in some ways I have felt God in my life and seen him effect those I love. Also because I believe in permanent things and need to believe in things greater than humanity.
I think i'll stick with humanity, because i believe we still have a chance to prove our worthiness to ourselves, unfortunately, things that are greater then humanity can not help humanity. You know good old saying, god helps those who help themselves. And who are "themselves"??

Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Where, does he have an email address? I have a lot of questions I would like to ask him esp. the lack of the ROI on the tithes I paid as a believer seeing he never opened any windows in heaven to bless me? You know Malachi and all?

I'll be waiting....

He's there, you've just been paying tithes to the wrong church. Send them to me and I'll make sure you get your blessings.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
He's there, you've just been paying tithes to the wrong church. Send them to me and I'll make sure you get your blessings.
You'll have to get in line, I mean the whole 10 fold, 20 fold and 90 fold, I am just going for the minimum of ten fold

I guess they forgot to tell me about the zero fold aka the bottomless pit

Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 525 times
need to comment: Mom died 2010...I helped her as my sister who had her move next to her, would not, I was mad at sis for doing that, 2 weeks before mom died sis quit talking to me. dad died and disinherited me of lots. Sis took it all. She has no remorse but I really need the cash. I have health troubles from birth, she has none. I will let the powers tell me who to be mad at. Myself, certainly not. God? He gave me free will. I'm pissed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality