Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times

Advertisements

They build buildings. They have to maintain the buildings. They have to expand the buildings. They pay the preacher...in many cases they provide a home for him. They pay his travel expenses. They buy steeples and stained glass. They buy carpeting. They buy mahagony or oak pews. They buy office furniture. They buy musical instruments. They buy expensive sound systems. They send missionaries to other countries to attempt to change cultures. etc.

In the old testament there are specific instructions to Noah about building the ark. Exact dimensions are stated for the length, width and depth and expressed in cubits. Not one place in the new testament is any similar instruction given about building a church...it isn't even mentioned. Regardless of that the churches now own more real property than any other entity in the world except the governments.

Our predecessors have been scared to death and hoodwinked by the religious authorities since the beginning of civilization when primitive mankind used his developing imagination to convince people that some invisible judge lives in the sky and watches us from our first breath to the last and then determines whether or not we will rise up from the grave, float away on a cloud, enter pearly gates and walk streets paved with gold or...if we don't toe the mark burn in an everlasting lake of fire and brimstone. Quite a load of it don't you think?

I apologize for the length of that humongous sentence...sometimes I just get carried away...

Last edited by Melvin.George; 10-05-2009 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 04:58 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times
I know my mom's church spent a ton of money on a fancy new digital sign here recently. Also, every preacher that's ever preached there always gets put in the richest neighborhood. Last I heard, the church paid for nearly everything.

Matter of fact, I've never seen a preacher of any decent sized church around here that was poor or middle class. Makes you wonder where all that tithe money is going, and it reminds me of an old joke: How does a preacher determine what's God's money what belongs to him after they're done collecting? Well, he takes the collection plate, tosses all the money up in the air as high as he can, and, while the money is in the air, he screams "Lord take what's yours!!!" Anything that falls to the ground he keeps for himself

Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
They build buildings. They have to maintain the buildings. They have to expand the buildings. They pay the preacher...in many cases they provide a home for him. They pay his travel expenses. They buy steeples and stained glass. They buy carpeting. They buy mahagony or oak pews. They buy office furniture. They buy musical instruments. They buy expensive sound systems. They send missionaries to other countries to attempt to change cultures. etc.

In the old testament there are specific instructions to Noah about building the ark. Exact dimensions are stated for the length, width and depth and expressed in cubits. Not one place in the new testament is any similar instruction given about building a church...it isn't even mentioned. Regardless of that the churches now own more real property than any other entity in the world except the governments.

Our predecessors have been scared to death and hoodwinked by the religious authorities since the beginning of civilization when primitive mankind used his developing imagination to convince people that some invisible judge lives in the sky and watches us from our first breath to the last and then determines whether or not we will rise up from the grave, float away on a cloud, enter pearly gates and walk streets paved with gold or...if we don't toe the mark burn in an everlasting lake of fire and brimstone. Quite a load of it don't you think?

I apologize for the length of that humongous sentence...sometimes I just get carried away...
Jesus said, "Whenever two are gathered in my name, I will be there."

He didn't say in a church, he didn't say in a Cathedral, he didn't say with a preacher.

My problems with preachers, is they read and study the bible, and then tell you what it says. However, many of them didn't take a ancient hebrew class, most of them don't understand latin. Yet they are authorities on a 2000 year old religous belief. They cherry pick the bible for verses that match their sermon, and their message for the day. Ignoring many other verses that don't match, or out right contradict their sermon and message.

No one calls them out, because 80% of Christians haven't read the bible. Hell, 90% of those who have can't recall it from memory. I remember themes, but not verses myself. I often have to look it back up before I will bring it up.

Churchs are a business, nothing more, nothing less. They do donate to charity, but they pay no taxes on any of the other money they bring in. Thats complete BS.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
he takes the collection plate, tosses all the money up in the air as high as he can, and, while the money is in the air, he screams "Lord take what's yours!!!" Anything that falls to the ground he keeps for himself
LOL!!!

Good One!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They cherry pick the bible for verses that match their sermon, and their message for the day. Ignoring many other verses that don't match, or out right contradict their sermon and message.
And that requires about 45 minutes a week. Before computers took about two hours. Most of them earn at least three times the median income when all facets of their pay is included. Not a bad deal.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Hmmmm. If a church needs or wants a full-time preacher, how is he and his family to survive if he doesn't get paid? Should he preach on Sunday and spend the rest of the week sitting on the sidewalk with a tin cup crying, "Alms. Alms for the poor?"

Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Hmmmm. If a church needs or wants a full-time preacher, how is he and his family to survive if he doesn't get paid? Should he preach on Sunday and spend the rest of the week sitting on the sidewalk with a tin cup crying, "Alms. Alms for the poor?"
You think it's worth three times the median income?

Any preacher worth his salt will start up a TV program and convince old folks who draw social security to send them 10% of it. I thought that was the American way.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
I watch some shameless preacher on tv claiming his sheep should donate $10000 dollars each.
I was hopping someone would get up and leave when he said that, but most people have no confidence....

Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Jesus said, "Whenever two are gathered in my name, I will be there."

He didn't say in a church, he didn't say in a Cathedral, he didn't say with a preacher.

My problems with preachers, is they read and study the bible, and then tell you what it says. However, many of them didn't take a ancient hebrew class, most of them don't understand latin. Yet they are authorities on a 2000 year old religous belief. They cherry pick the bible for verses that match their sermon, and their message for the day. Ignoring many other verses that don't match, or out right contradict their sermon and message.

No one calls them out, because 80% of Christians haven't read the bible. Hell, 90% of those who have can't recall it from memory. I remember themes, but not verses myself. I often have to look it back up before I will bring it up.

Churchs are a business, nothing more, nothing less. They do donate to charity, but they pay no taxes on any of the other money they bring in. Thats complete BS.
Amen! +1000

Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I was hoping someone would get up and leave when he said that, but most people have no confidence....
That would be blasphemy...the only unforgivable sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality