Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I hope you were not physically hurt when they threw you out. Did they throw you out of a door or window Good thing they don't burn people at the stake anymore.
yeah I know got a contution but I'll be alright nothing counseling can't cure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
yeah I know got a contution but I'll be alright nothing counseling can't cure
Yeah I know what you mean. Alot of people have been hurt by a church, I don't think the RC Church own's the market on hurting people.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,630 times
Alot of people have anger and resentment towards churches. So you either move on or say hey I will not allow anyone to suggest I leave. Depends how strong your feelings are. Look at Huns Kung , priest and theologen. He was striped of his right to teach in Catholic universities, but yet he remains. He disagrees on some major issues.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 PM

246 posts, read 649,468 times
Default wow...

Thanks for all your posts, so far.

I'm still not that clear on the answer to my question : are all Catholics taught and do all Catholics believe that they are the only True followers of Jesus Christ - His one and only church - the only members of the body of Christ? And, is it more prevelant in the Greek or RC church?
(Maybe I didn't word the question well.)

The few Roman Catholic churches that my husband was raised in didn't teach that they were the only ones, just better than.

I did notice that some of you have posted an emotional response having to do with things such as "Christians think that way too, only opposite." etc. and how much you like the Catholic church. I would hope so, if you're part of it

To me, no one Church is "it" And, Christian churches (non-Catholic) that teach that Catholics aren't Christian is wrong. But, to me, Catholic churches that teach they are the only ones are wrong, too. But, my objective wasn't to debate (but that's human nature, I guess?) but to gain info.

Mark, I believe what you say, thanks for offering to find references, but that's okay. I just wanted a take on what the main stream teaching was, across the board, if there was one. I know what I believe, without doubt or hesitation, but I earnestly wanted to know what the basic teaching and belief system was in the Cath Church concerning who was considered part of Christ's Church, the body of believers. Thanks

Brian, I am sorry that you experienced Catholic jokes in a Christian (non CAth) church - not cool. Yep, as a non-Catholic, I never felt offended in a Catholic church. Although, I have actually heard one say that he was even more impressed by someone he had just met, because not only were they Christian, but Catholic, on top of that. To me, that is a heavy statement to make and one that crosses into a danger zone of loftiness.

To others.. I think every church (whatever denom) has the ability to offend anyone. And people leave churches everyay due to backwards teaching or hurt feelings - makes no diff of the denom. anyone hurt by any church, just know it was the scheme of the enemy - he comes to steal, kill, destroy, divide, distract, and disassemble. So, don't let that be where you stop. Find the place God would have, the place He's calling you, for you and for His plan for your life.

And, the Jesus I found in the Bible hated division among His people, not diversity. In my very humble, non-theologian opinion, The non-CAtholic churches I have experienced (a good range) have never taught excluding Catholics as part of the Body of Christ, as part of Christ's Church. Infact, the teaching I've experienced and believe in, is that anyone who believes in Jesus Christ as the Messiah, their Lord & Savior and follows after Him, is part of the Church - no matter what denom you fall under. As long as it is a denom that recognizes Jesus Christ as the Son of God, part of the trinity - fully God, yet fully man when He was on Earth, born of a virgin and sent to save us all from the wages of sin and give abundant and eternal life by his death and resurrection, back to the Father in Heaven, who left us The Comforter for our life's walk with Him. For, isn't only through Jesus that we can enter the throne room of the Father?

only my take, but.... if Jesus came today, He would say shame on all you for causing so much division, amongst the body of believers - body of believers, Catholic, Evangel., Baptist, Protestant, Full gospel, Non Denom, AOG, Methodist, Presbyterian, Episc., Lutheran, etc.

Now see, I'm putting my two cents in....

Anyway, thanks for the honesty and candidness - keep it coming

Oh and anyone knowing anything of the Fransiscan Order, please let me know.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I was shocked when I first found out that some Christians did not believe (were actually taught) that Catholics were not Christians. I am always amazed my how much anti-Catholic information is out there.

I hope that your question will bring about alot of "well-meaning" discussion. I, myself, am very interested in reading the answers.

God Bless...
Could it be that some of the anti-Catholic movement stemmed from Catholics denouncing everyone else, as part of the church body? Not an excuse, by any means, but it seems, in some circles that it's okay for the Catholic Church to exclude bodies of believers, but when a believer says a catholic isn't a Christian (out of ignorance), then it's the most horrible thing.

Know what I mean?

I actually know of a few Catholics who prefer not to be labeled Christian, but accept only Catholic as a description. I've seen Catholics puffed up in arrogance of what church they belong to and how they are the chosen, but then, I've also seen the others puff up as if Catholics were missing out. Guess haughtiness and pride can really discredit any believer's beliefs.

Hope Jesus comes back soon, to clean up all of our mess!

yes, I hope this does bring about much good/productive chatter.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Default hmmm....

[quote=dncngrl1964;684836]Well alot of Christian churches believe that Catholics aren't true christians....so for the Catholic church to do it back is probably tit for tat

QUOTE]

Does that make it any more right for either?

Old 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM

199 posts, read 1,133,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
Is this what every Catholic Church teaches (that the Catholic Church is THE church and none else are the right church) or does this vary by specific church or is it more prevalent in the Roman or Greek Orthodox? And, what do you think of that teaching, in and of yourself?
Every Christian denomination claims to have to best hold on the Truth. Every religion claims to have the proper and most complete understanding of God. Maybe they don't all say it out loud, but they all think it.
The Roman Catholic Church is unique in its claims to have an unbroken link to the beginnings of the church in Peter, the first Pope. The Eastern Orthodox church can claim some of that, but since the Schism, they do not believe in Papal Authority and therefore do not have a universal catechism for all followers. The Church has always maintained that She holds the fullness of Truth and that other denominations and religions hold some truths and are at least partially right. Since the Church can trace its history to the beginning, it stands to reason that it would also claim to be the One True Church and wish its "separated brethren" to join with Her again.

I'm sure that non-catholics find that upsetting, but if you start talking religion with anyone who is not of your denomination, you are going to hit a point of disagreement and then, who's right, or more right, your denomination, or his? At some point, you will decide the truth lies in your church or his. And then what?

EWTN is a Catholic station, so it will obviously carry pro-catholic shows. I think the show you were watching is called, "The Journey Home" and is just interviews of converts. Converts tend to be zealous about their new religion, so I'm not surprised the guest talked with sadness about her family not joining her in the true church.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:55 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,510 times
Default worded differently?

Quote:
Thanks for all your posts, so far.

I'm still not that clear on the answer to my question : are all Catholics taught and do all Catholics believe that they are the only True followers of Jesus Christ - His one and only church - the only members of the body of Christ? And, is it more prevelant in the Greek or RC church?
(Maybe I didn't word the question well.)

Let me try it again...

I was confirmed into the Catholic faith not quite 4 years ago. I was never taught that Catholics were the only True followers of Jesus Christ. I was, however, taught that the Catholic Church is the one True Church started by Jesus Christ. As I stated before, I am not claiming to be an expert (I am just as ignorant as the next guy and I am just searching for answers like I guess everyone else using this site must be.) I do believe that history shows that the Catholic Church is the first recorded church. I was also never taught that Catholics are the only true Body of Christ. Certainly all Christians, no matter what faith or religious upbringing, form the Body of Christ. Hence the word, Christians.

The only thing that I can tell you about the Franciscan Order is that they are a very humble order. My father (who also converted to Catholicism late in life) attended a Franciscan Church. I only had the pleasure of attending twice. Once for his funeral Mass and once on All Souls Day. The Preist at that Church was an amazing servant of God. His humility was so obvious. Everything about this man seemed to revere God (hopefully I've said that right.) My husband even said something similiar. Just being near this man...you felt so close to God. Anyway, I'm just rambling now. Hope I've helped a little more.

God Bless.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:59 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,510 times
Thank you, Stellar9. That seems very well put (and politically correct).

Old 05-08-2007, 05:26 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Quote:
My friend's brother is a Franciscan friar. They are the only order of priests to take a vow of poverty so in my mind they are the real deal so to speak. From what I do know (and I haven't researched it much) they are way more involved in ministering to the poor and in the communities than they are in the traditional church settings. They follow what they believe the teachings of St. Francis were. I think the first order was established in 1200ad or around there, so they have been around quite some time. I'm sure there is a website that you can go to find out more but as far as regular Catholic priests go that is the main difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality