Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:21 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,563,331 times

Advertisements

Realizing that early on the population of the thirteen colonies seldom attended church and that less than 10% were interested...the Christian zealots used politics to achieve their wishes:

In God We Trust is the official motto of the United States. The motto first appeared on a United States coin in 1864 during strong Christian sentiment emerging during the Civil War, but In God We Trust did not become the official U.S. national motto until after the passage of an Act of Congress in 1956.[1][2] It is codified as federal law in the United States Code at 36 U.S.C. § 302, which provides: "In God we trust" is the national motto".

At the same time right wing extremists during the McCarthy years were at it again when they inserted "UNDER GOD" in our pledge. I learned the pledge in the 1940's and liked it just fine the way it was originally:

The Pledge of Allegiance to the United States is an oath of loyalty to the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892. The Pledge has been modified four times since then, with the most recent change adding the words "under God" in 1954.

Keep in mind that in 1954 the entire nation was wrapped up in fear because of the possibility of a nuclear war with the Soviet Union.

FEAR HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT THE ROOT OF RELIGION...THE FEAR OF GOD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,417,888 times
After arguing the subject for so long, it is quite refreshing to see others have bothered to educate themselves on the subject.

There has indeed been a theodemocratic agenda in the Nation, since well before we were a Nation. And not all of their agenda, and victories, are as blantant as nearly obliterating our original, Founder crafted National Motto, E Pluribus Unum (From Many, One).

Through subtle early school cirriculum, many adults in the US have been led to believe that the Declaration of Independance is this Nation's Founding Document. Indeed, a portion of US citizens are convinced that the Mayflower Compact is our Founding Document, and that the Pilgrims were the first and only settlers and founded the United States.

It is my firmest opinion that our original Motto and Pledge should be returned immediatly. The current examples not only attempt to force everyone to be a Christian and stomp upon the First Amendment, they only serve to highlight and urge division among our citizenry.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
It is my firmest opinion that our original Motto and Pledge should be returned immediatly. The current examples not only attempt to force everyone to be a Christian and stomp upon the First Amendment, they only serve to highlight and urge division among our citizenry.
Another post among a growing number I see at this forum which I wish I had said!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,661 times
Most Americans don't even know the Constitution was a revolutionary coup.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:31 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,417,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Probrably about the same amount who never heard of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,197,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
FEAR HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT THE ROOT OF RELIGION...THE FEAR OF GOD
I recently saw a church sign that stated "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge."

Old 11-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I recently saw a church sign that stated "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge."
Not much longer to get right. A few weeks ago I was driving south about 25 miles north of Chattanooga, TN and saw a billboard sized display stating, "Jesus Is Coming Soon!"

Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Not much longer to get right. A few weeks ago I was driving south about 25 miles north of Chattanooga, TN and saw a billboard sized display stating, "Jesus Is Coming Soon!"

Guess I better clean out the bong.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:01 AM

16,709 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Quote:
I don't think the Constitution was, but the Declaration of Independence?
You bet it was!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Guess I better clean out the bong.
Hold on a minute...Jesus was into a little wine. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality