Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:19 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Was the Koran authored by a deity as well? And what accurate prophecies do you speak of? I have already shown that the Bible's claim of how old the world is, is utterly false. That immediately calls into question its accuracy on a myriad of issues.

I have yet to see anybody refute any of my main points. Saying that the fires of hell await is not a convincing argument to me.
It was not my intention to convince you of the Bibles truth, based on my statement about the fires of hell. The truth of the Prophecies can be seen by the fact that Jesus Christ fulfilled at least 300 such prophecies found in the Old Testament. Yet, I believe the prophecies about the return of the Jewish nation in the last days, are the prophecies we can most consider today. It is no accident that we find Israel in center place, in the news today. Christians who based their belief on the Bible have stated for hundreds of years, that before Christ could return, the Jewish people first, would have to return from a worldwide exile. And they would have to retake the land of Israel, and Jerusalem.
The Koran was authored by someone who was less than deity. And I can say that, because only the Bible has detailed knowledge about our future, the Koran does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Actually, Breakfast is believeable, I have had it in the past and I believe I will have it again in the morning, with three eggs. My breakfast is more worthy of reverence than is a christer belief system. My breakfast is both physically and spiritually fulfilling, a lot more than can honestly be said of religion.
Once I found an image of the Virgin Mary in my waffles. Eating the mother of god was an amazing religious experience.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
What is considered a "day" to the creator? Could it be a million or a billion years?
We don't know.
Just because you say the Bible is inaccurate doesn't make it so.
Just as I saying the Bible is true doesn't make it so.
According to the Bible one of God's days = one thousand years in man's time.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
B. According to the actions of your religion, throughout history and today, it seems the most important aspect is to force your religion onto as many people as possible.

D. So a tsunami wipes out a village. That was do to their free will choice?
No that was just natural event, like a volcano or a flood.

If you fall and break your leg, it was not based on your free will or God's lack of protection, but just an accident.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
1. There has never been any verifiable physical evidence of a deity.

2. All religious texts that describe the supposed will of deities were written and compiled by men. Even if they were divinely inspired, men were involved in their crafting which makes the legitimacy and accuracy of them immediately suspect because men are imperfect.

3. The various religions and their individual denominations all espouse different things, yet they all claim that they alone represent truth and what the Creator wants. Only one of them has the possibility of being correct and therefore the vast majority have to be wrong. Yet, the adherents of all deity-based spiritual belief systems emphatically believe that they are right. This is direct evidence that men are easily misguided and routinely believe in things that are wrong. This makes all belief systems (spiritual, philosophical, ideological, political, etc..) suspect.

4. Most people who believe in religion do so for the wrong reasons. To follow and understand the profundity of a strict spiritual belief system requires wisdom, intelligence, and dedication. Most religious people (and most people who follow any belief system) I have encountered do not exhibit these traits. Some believe because that is all they were ever exposed to so they were brainwashed and coerced into the belief system. Others believe because they want to be a part of something or because the romantic aspects of the movement seduced them. Still others believe because they want the comfort of having a god watching over them and an easy-to-digest explanation of the world. Lastly, some believe because they self-righteously desire to be a part of something where they can lay claim to the mantle of truth and declare themselves as being enlightened.

5. Bad things happen in this world. There have been instances in the history of our race where pure and innocent children have been tortured and murdered. As far as God's existence relates to horrific things like this there are only several possibilities:

A. He doesn't exist.
B. He does exist and does not have the power to stop it.
C. He does exist, has the power to stop, and chooses not to.

The first two possibilities make him irrelevant. The last possibility makes him a bastard. Either way He is not worth following.

6. If a deity exists in the mold of what most monotheistic religions believe (an ominpotent, loving, and creating personality) then it is impossible for humans to understand the will of such a complex being. We have not been granted enough of an acumen to do so. Secondly, even if we could understand the Creator's will we would pervert it anyway. Thirdly, if we did have the acumen and the ability to not be lead astray then we would not be able to consistently enact the Creator's will because we have not been granted the needed fortitude to ignore our worldly desires. Lastly, even if we could accomplish all of the aforementioned things we would still occassionally reject God and His will because we human beings are notoriously rebellious. If the Creator exists as envisioned by monotheistic religions then He has utterly failed us by imbuing our race with these weaknesses and our circumstances with such impossible hurdles.
It is written: "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God." (Matt. 5:8)

I see God!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
If you follow the genealogy laid out in the Old Testament it becomes apparent that the Bible is claiming that the Earth is thousands of years old. This is obviously untrue.
It is obviously true!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Jehovah directed men to create a work mined with self-contradictions, impossilbe myths, historical innacuracies, and jambed packed with theopolitical instructions to create and preserve clerical power and wealth? Wow, some god.

And you believe that today, with missionaries and modern communications, that your gospel hasn't reached the "four corners of the earth"?
We are still working on the 10/40 window. These people do not have communications and computers like we have in America. But we are getting close!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Why would the Creator give us free will? Why would He not leave us with a clear and undeniable definition of His will? Why would He not give us the intellect to consistently understand it? Why would He not give us the strength to consistently follow it? Why would He imbue us with such weaknesses? Why would He leave us in such a predicament? Why would He fail us in such a blatant manner? Why would He allow such immoral things to happen to pure innocents?

I absolutely refuse to follow Him. I would rather spit in His face than bow before Him.
Sorry, but you will bow: Romans 14:11: "For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."

Your bowing may not be in reverence, but you will bow!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Ah yes, this coming from a book that claims the Earth is approximately 10,000 years old when science has proven otherwise.
Science has not proven otherwise, because that is out of the relm of science. Science is a tool we use to understand the laws of nature in the present using repeatable tests. The past is not repeatable, non-testable, so it is out of the relm for science to comment on. Science which studies the creation cannot then comment on the creator.

Quote:
And if you had been born in the Middle East there is a good chance you would be singing the praises of Allah and Mohammed. If you had been born in ancient Greece you would be advising me to pray to the Gods and take Zeus's guidance. You would emphatically believe other things if you had been born in a different time or in a different culture. This is a prime example of how human beings are often wrong when it comes to spiritual matters. Only one spiritual path can be correct. Which is it? You don't know, I don't know, and nobody else does either. I just have the acumen to think it through and the balls to admit it.
Maybe you might have been influenced by your culture, but if you were looking for the God of the Universe, you would find him. Did not Abraham leave the ungodly Ur of the Chaldees because God told him to? Did he not travel the fertile crescent seeing the many cultures with worship to many different gods? Yet he still followed the "One true God". If you are searching for God, you will find him.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
According to the Bible one of God's days = one thousand years in man's time.
In context that is only God patience in waiting for the ungodly to be saved and is not a comment on the length of days of the Creation week.

The days of creation were one 24 hour day. That is why the wording is used: "And the evening and the morning were the first day". If it meant many days then it would have said "And the evening(s) and the morning(s) were the first day". Since this plurality is missing the days(yoms) of creation week were single days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality