Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Also, who cares! again, this is not Rome or Sparta, and were not talking about Solomon. Go back and read my post. Read it carefully, "From the creation of the world it was to be between one man and one woman...."

Note the bold text, "was to be" that is the high ideal God set in motion that we are to follow. Sadly, His high ideal has been perverted.
I don't care about your post any more than you care about Rome or Sparta. What the bible says is irrelevant to me, and should be irrelevant to anybody with a strong moral sense. I was trying to address irishmom's question, where she expressed interest in seeing how things had been done differently in history.

For further evidence that gay marriage has been accepted in the past, here is a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 AM

954 posts, read 813,440 times
[quote=kawgpz550;720748]
Quote:
Marriage IS INTENDED for one WOMAN and one MAN
1 Corinthians 7:1-2
Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV): "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind it is abomination.

At least we do not practice as said in the OT...personally, I think this is extreme and should NOT be practiced (so don't think I am making this out that it should be this way)...but we have come a long way since the OT...
Leviticus 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

God loves all homosexuals! However, He hates the deeds of homosexuality because they are sinful.

As stated before, being gay is not illegal and it is their choice to be gay...however, it is NOT NATURAL In the Bible marriage was initially intended for procreation (spelling? <having children>)...Homosexuals cannot reproduce.

If people choose to be gay (and please do not tell me it isn't a choice ) then that is FINE! But PLEASE do not ask ME to accept it as normal and/or ask me to teach my children that it is.
Man! Theists just love to quote scripture to try to justify why something should or shouldn't be done don't they? Well Kawgpz, scripture also says that you should give up your family, give away all your posessions to the poor and live in poverty. Have you done that yet dude? Have any of you Christians who love to quote scripture done what Jesus said you should do? Do you ever think about it when you're driving around in your car and sitting in your nice home surrounded by nice things? Do you think you should do what Jesus told you to do....or is that particular scripture to be filed under 'Scirptures To Be Ignored'.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
[quote=pladecalvo;724613]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Man! Theists just love to quote scripture to try to justify why something should or shouldn't be done don't they? Well Kawgpz, scripture also says that you should give up your family, give away all your posessions to the poor and live in poverty. Have you done that yet dude? Have any of you Christians who love to quote scripture done what Jesus said you should do? Do you ever think about it when you're driving around in your car and sitting in your nice home surrounded by nice things? Do you think you should do what Jesus told you to do....or is that particular scripture to be filed under 'Scirptures To Be Ignored'.
Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:27-31

If this is the scripture you are referring too, here Jesus is saying, do Gods will first, seek his Kingdom first, and he (God) will take care of you.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 AM

954 posts, read 813,440 times
[quote=arguy1973;724634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:27-31

If this is the scripture you are referring too, here Jesus is saying, do Gods will first, seek his Kingdom first, and he (God) will take care of you.
Try Luke 18: 20-21

20Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

21And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

22Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

23And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

24And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

25For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Well Christians!! Have you done it?????

Old 05-16-2007, 07:19 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Why are so many Christians hardline about the "sin" of homosexuality? Why is there no similar outcry about the "sins" of serial marriages (w/adultery or not), fornication, gluttony, envy etc...? Hits too close to home?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post

20Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

22Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

24And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

25For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

If a Christian considers your opinion on scripture to be accurate, that's just sad!

By "Have I done it" do you mean have I realized that I still lack one thing? And that after I address that character weakness that I will still lack one thing? Is that what you mean? That without Christ and taking hold of Him completely, forsaking our love and desire for material wealth, that we will always lack one thing? Is that what you mean, Pastor plad?

Or maybe you mean have I realized that anything I hold on to more precious than God is still 'lacking one thing'.

Notice that the guy was 'very sorrowful'. His desire for his wealth was larger than his desire for the Kingdom of God.

If you want to make atheistics comments and statements, plad, you are free to do that, but why quote a book that you claim holds no value?

Help me understand that.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:31 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
[quote=pladecalvo;724684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post

Jesus was referring to the rich young ruler in the above passages and the fact that he was relying on his money more than God.When we read the story of the young ruler we learn the importance of putting Jesus first. The ruler thought he was a really good person. He did not mistreat people, and he obeyed the laws.

But the love of money was his weakness. He probably thought that he could take care of himself without God's help.

Whether you have a little money or a lot during your lifetime, you still need God's help.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Why are so many Christians hardline about the "sin" of homosexuality? Why is there no similar outcry about the "sins" of serial marriages (w/adultery or not), fornication, gluttony, envy etc...? Hits too close to home?
The difference that I see is that it seems like no one is campaigning so to speak that other sins are "normal" and nothing wrong with them. Maybe too much is said about homosexuality and not enough about other things, but again, these other sins seem to be recognized at some level at least as "sin,"
unlike what seems to be said in many quarters these days about homosexuality.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:54 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I don't care about your post any more than you care about Rome or Sparta. What the bible says is irrelevant to me, and should be irrelevant to anybody with a strong moral sense. I was trying to address irishmom's question, where she expressed interest in seeing how things had been done differently in history.

For further evidence that gay marriage has been accepted in the past, here is a link.
Ok I am in support of legalizing gay marriage, but the link you provided actually details a theory that is pretty frail at best describing why it was accepted in the past. Sorry.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:56 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
The difference that I see is that it seems like no one is campaigning so to speak that other sins are "normal" and nothing wrong with them. Maybe too much is said about homosexuality and not enough about other things, but again, these other sins seem to be recognized at some level at least as "sin,"
unlike what seems to be said in many quarters these days about homosexuality.
The thing is that many Christians see these "sins" as normal or they think they are lesser "sins" than being gay. I see it all the time. Christians need to be more consistent if they want to be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality