Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:23 AM

246 posts, read 649,351 times

Advertisements

Catholics, here is a question for you...

This is not intended to call you out or start a heated debate. I really just want to know how you feel about the following and how you might explain it, as you would know it, being a Catholic in America. (and, please, if you're not Catholic yourself, try not to answer, unless you feel you have qualifications that would lend you to be a reliable source. But, feel free to leave your own questions, if they are legitimate and honestly seeking info and not sarcastic remarks.) Thanks And if this has already been posted to death in an earlier discussion, someone let me know!

I was channel surfing and came across EWTN. I paused to see what the topic might be. They had a woman on who had been Baptist, but converted to Catholicism. I know this because, under her name (which I forget,now) it said Former Baptist. Anyway, she spoke of how whe had been in the wrong church and how if she really wanted to follow Jesus, she had to leave her church get into His Church, being the Catholic Church. Is this what every Catholic Church teaches (that the Catholic Church is THE church and none else are the right church) or does this vary by specific church or is it more prevalent in the Roman or Greek Orthodox? And, what do you think of that teaching, in and of yourself? This woman even told of how her family was still in the wrong church (the baptist Church) and she still hoped that one day they would get in to the right church - her church, the CAtholic church. The host of the show reiterated her sentiments, so it didn't seem that she was alone in her beliefs.

Thanks for taking time to provide the info and leave further questions, as well. Happy posting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:57 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Well alot of Christian churches believe that Catholics aren't true christians....so for the Catholic church to do it back is probably tit for tat
I also find on those "shows" alot of drama

I am a Catholic and a non practicing one at that
but because of much different reasons than that.
I did not choose this form of religion
it was given to me by my parents who are old now
and for respect of my father I have not switched.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
Default Question for Catholics...

I am a Catholic convert and love the Catholic Faith. I am always trying to find out as much as I can so that I can help others understand what and why Catholics believe what they do. I was shocked when I first found out that some Christians did not believe (were actually taught) that Catholics were not Christians. I am always amazed my how much anti-Catholic information is out there. I have recently purchased a book called "Did Adam and Eve have Belly Buttons?" It's a great Q&A book with questions posed by Catholic teenagers.

In answer to your question...yes, all Catholics believe that Jesus established the Catholic Church. They teach that Peter was the first pope, whom Jesus called the "rock" (Mt 16:18). I am certainly no authority on this, but I believe that historically the Catholic Church is the first recorded church and that it is the Catholic church who, around the year 390, established the final version of the Bible (of course, we have many versions today).

I hope that your question will bring about alot of "well-meaning" discussion. I, myself, am very interested in reading the answers.

God Bless...

Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
I was never taught that it was the ONLY church, we do however recite the Apostles Creed, which states "I believe in the Holy Catholic church.". I don't see it any different than other Christian churches that say Catholics, Mormons, Prostesants, Lutherans...etc, aren't Christian. There is a rivalry amongst all the Christian denominations and I don't think that will end anytime soon.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
What weatherologist said. I couldn't have said it better.

But I will add regarding non-Catholic Christians: The Catholic Church teaches that they are "separated brethren." If you're REALLY interested, I could probably find you some articles explaining this better than I could.

I, too, am a convert to the Roman Catholic Church.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
I love the Catholic religion, i love that Catholic churches are the same in the US as they are in Ireland, UK.
My priest here told my wife (whos Christian not catholic) that the Catholic church respects Christians and their ways. He was talking about baptising, she is / was considering converting when we asked if she has to get baptised again, they said no.

Ive been to many Christian churches, and many of the pastors that were there put down the Catholic faith when i was there. One even went as far as to say all Pagans are from Ireland! Ive never heard any Catholic joke about Christians, but i hear them ALOT when i go tot Christian churches, you know about the one where Catholics are surprised when theyre not the only one in heaven. Rediculous. I couldnt care less what religion somebody is, as long as they find what they believe is God and they can live a good life.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times
First off, I would not put alot of stock into what is said on EWTN. The previous poster that mentioned that you do not have to be baptised again answers the main question. The RC Church claims to have all the signs of the church founded by Christ. I know this could be debated till the cows come home. It could even be argued that Jesus never intended to establish a Church. I guess what could be said about some other Churches, from the RC Church's position is that they are not in full union with the RC Church.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 PM

And if you asked 10 Catholics a quetion on something pertaining to the RC Church, you may get 10 different answers. There are conservative , moderate and liberal viewpoints on the RC Church and her teachings. I myself have been called a heretic by some of the more conservative members. But you know it is a very large church,with a long rich history. Some of the history is good and some not so good. So people will always disagree on different points.

Last edited by ted08721; 05-08-2007 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 01:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
I was put out of my church because I told them they were idiots on their stand about procreation
The technology is there use it
why should a good family go childless because the church says if they artificially enseminated it would be a bastard child

HOGWASH
That is what I don't like about my religion
midevil men trying to make midevil rules in a contemporary society

Old 05-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I was put out of my church because I told them they were idiots on their stand about procreation
The technology is there use it
why should a good family go childless because the church says if they artificially enseminated it would be a bastard child

HOGWASH
That is what I don't like about my religion
midevil men trying to make midevil rules in a contemporary society
I hope you were not physically hurt when they threw you out. Did they throw you out of a door or window Good thing they don't burn people at the stake anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality