Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Any gnostics in the house?

Or anyone who has studied gnosticism?

I thought of this based on another post which talked about "gods," plural being mentioned in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
I had to look it up I thought you meant agnostic
but here is the definition I came up with in case you aren't sure if it is you

A one-sentence description of Gnosticism: a religion that differentiates the evil god of this world (who is identified with the god of the Old Testament) from a higher more abstract God revealed by Jesus Christ, a religion that regards this world as the creation of a series of evil archons/powers who wish to keep the human soul trapped in an evil physical body, a religion that preaches a hidden wisdom or knowledge only to a select group as necessary for salvation or escape from this world.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Thanks, dncn! I had actually heard the idea was that the God of the Bible was imperfect, not evil. Though I guess evil could have the definition of imperfect depending upon how you look at it.

But anyway, the idea is that this God is the product of other gods (or actually...of one particular goddess) but that he was born imperfect in some way and that's why the world he created was imperfect. Gnostics do believe in Jesus as cited in dncn's post...they believe, however, that Jesus was talking about the "bigger" god, or ultimate god, rather than the Biblical god. The idea is, that's why Jesus changed some OT rules and challenged dogma based on the OT.

So I guess there are no gnostics here. I was just curious what everyone thought of this idea. I might start another thread on Celtic Christianity because I've been wondering about that too.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So I guess there are no gnostics here. I was just curious what everyone thought of this idea.
Gnosticism is, in the words of Mony Python, "very silly." Even if I weren't a Christian, I wouldn't buy into gnosticism. Doesn't make any sense logically.

Quote:
I might start another thread on Celtic Christianity because I've been wondering about that too.
Excellent. What do you mean exactly by "Celtic Christianity"?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Thanks, dncn! I had actually heard the idea was that the God of the Bible was imperfect, not evil. Though I guess evil could have the definition of imperfect depending upon how you look at it.

But anyway, the idea is that this God is the product of other gods (or actually...of one particular goddess) but that he was born imperfect in some way and that's why the world he created was imperfect. Gnostics do believe in Jesus as cited in dncn's post...they believe, however, that Jesus was talking about the "bigger" god, or ultimate god, rather than the Biblical god. The idea is, that's why Jesus changed some OT rules and challenged dogma based on the OT.

So I guess there are no gnostics here. I was just curious what everyone thought of this idea. I might start another thread on Celtic Christianity because I've been wondering about that too.
that isnt my take on it I didnt know what it was so I googled it and then cut and pasted what it said

Old 05-17-2007, 11:47 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Gnosticism is, in the words of Mony Python, "very silly." Even if I weren't a Christian, I wouldn't buy into gnosticism. Doesn't make any sense logically.

Excellent. What do you mean exactly by "Celtic Christianity"?
Is it this? http://celticchristianity.org/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality