Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
If i see a thread that I am not interested in I will go on to one that I am.
You missed the point. It's not the threads you are interested in or not. Let me rephrase.

You expressed the idea that you are/would be so happy that even one person may become Christian by reading this forum.

Shouldn't you be just as upset that many others are being further driven away by the behavior of many of the Christians here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
You missed the point. It's not the threads you are interested in or not. Let me rephrase.

You expressed the idea that you are/would be so happy that even one person may become Christian by reading this forum.

Shouldn't you be just as upset that many others are being further driven away by the behavior of many of the Christians here?
Yes it does upset me by some of the behavior of some christians, but its not for me to call them down. What makes me mad may not bother someone else, and may in fact be what an unbeliever wants to hear. We are definitely not all alike Same with the athiests who post here. Some are really "loud and rude" I try not to respond to them. Some of the athiests I like and enjoy talking with them. You can be polite and give your views, then have the same politeness to hear someone elses views. I don't try to make christians out of anyone, that is their decision

Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 PM

562 posts, read 659,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I'm just curious as to what others think. there are a few threads started by atheists, and then the vast majority of the others seem to be Christian threads. Why are there not Jews or Muslims or others starting threads? I know there are more Christians in this country than others, but still...it seems odd to me. Is it b/c Christians just like to talk about their religion more? Or is there some other reason?
One problem is that everyone ASSUMES you're a Christian. If you're not, then they either try to convert you, or scorn you, or worse. In my case I am a Wiccan, a practicioner of Wicca, the original religion of those who inhabit Great Britain, Scotland and Ireland before the Romans came there and forced Christianity on the inhabitants. This assuming, is increased exponenentially by being a white American citizen. If you're Asian, or Middle Eastern, of course people do not assume you are Christian.

Christians have the majority, and they try to crush down those who are not Christian themselves. It happens all the time in this country, and on this web site. It's no wonder why those who are NOT Christian don't post, they are afraid of being banned or ganged up upon by Christian zealots. Their bible says NOT to judge others, lest they be judged themselves. Yet that is what they do all the time, go around judging others, saying their religion is the wrong way or the 'work of the devil'. Sorry, but some of us do not believe in your religion, we have our own beliefs and maybe you should learn to show some mutual respect?

Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
One problem is that everyone ASSUMES you're a Christian. If you're not, then they either try to convert you, or scorn you, or worse. In my case I am a Wiccan, a practicioner of Wicca, the original religion of those who inhabit Great Britain, Scotland and Ireland before the Romans came there and forced Christianity on the inhabitants. This assuming, is increased exponenentially by being a white American citizen. If you're Asian, or Middle Eastern, of course people do not assume you are Christian.

Christians have the majority, and they try to crush down those who are not Christian themselves. It happens all the time in this country, and on this web site. It's no wonder why those who are NOT Christian don't post, they are afraid of being banned or ganged up upon by Christian zealots. Their bible says NOT to judge others, lest they be judged themselves. Yet that is what they do all the time, go around judging others, saying their religion is the wrong way or the 'work of the devil'. Sorry, but some of us do not believe in your religion, we have our own beliefs and maybe you should learn to show some mutual respect?
Amen! I totally think you're right, and have said it before... notice how many use the terms "Atheist vs. Christian", leaving out those of us who practice OTHER faiths? Either it's an honest oversight, or a subtle way to say Christianity is the only true religion - depends on who's "talking", I suppose.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:51 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
I am a Wiccan, a practicioner of Wicca, the original religion of those who inhabit Great Britain, Scotland and Ireland before the Romans came there and forced Christianity on the inhabitants.
Torrey, isn't "Wiccan" of Anglo-Saxon origin? Am I wrong? The faith of the pre-Roman Britons was druidism, and the Romans were hardly forcing Christianity on them. The Romans were more interested in plunder than religion, and they really only persecuted the druids because the druids were stirring up rebellion against Rome. (And rightly so, I must say!) And the Romans never made it to Ireland and Scotland at all. By the time Christianity made it to the British Isles in a big way, the Roman Empire was well into its collapse.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
In my case I am a Wiccan, a practicioner of Wicca, the original religion of those who inhabit Great Britain, Scotland and Ireland before the Romans came there and forced Christianity on the inhabitants.
Oh dear. Wicca is not the original religion of Great Britain. Yes, the native tribes did practice Paleo-Pagan religions, but they didn't practice Wicca, which, while using some of the imagery from those orginal religions, was originally founded by Gerald Gardner in the late 1930s....drawing upon Paleo-paganism, ceremonial magick and a few other things tossed into the mix.

What tradition of Wicca do you practice, by the way?

Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Torrey, isn't "Wiccan" of Anglo-Saxon origin? Am I wrong? The faith of the pre-Roman Britons was druidism, and the Romans were hardly forcing Christianity on them. The Romans were more interested in plunder than religion, and they really only persecuted the druids because the druids were stirring up rebellion against Rome. (And rightly so, I must say!) And the Romans never made it to Ireland and Scotland at all. By the time Christianity made it to the British Isles in a big way, the Roman Empire was well into its collapse.
St. Patrick, who indeed made it to Ireland, was from Rome (sent to Ireland because he was basically considered a jerk and a trouble maker), but no, he was much later then what one normally thinks of the Roman invasion that conquered so many of the tribal societies.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:14 AM

606 posts, read 698,741 times
Most atheists don't think religious stuff make sense at all.Who wants to start threads to talk about non-sense stuff?

Most Muslims' threads are rather in arabic?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
St. Patrick, who indeed made it to Ireland, was from Rome
Patrick was from what is now called Wales.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:13 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Patrick was from what is now called Wales.
Mark is correct. And the Irish treated him terribly. Upon his return to Wales he chose to go back to the Irish and share the gospel of Christ. It's a story that's been ingrained in me as my family is from Ireland and my given name is Patrick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality