Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times

Advertisements

Based on my (limited) 26 years of experience I have brought forth a few peaceful observations that I hope will promote some understanding between the religious and the non.

It is commonly mentioned on here that Atheists over-judge the religious folks. While there are certainly two sides to this I hope to offer some insight. But I think that the perception that atheists get about religious folks comes from the ones who preach the loudest.

When the average Christian says or does something that the atheist agrees with it doesn't occur to them that the noted person was a Christian. Not that they ignore it, but at that point in time there is no need to bring it up. But there are the (relatively) few Christians that wear it like a giant cowboy hat everywhere they go - so it is unavoidable to notice. Thus the wild things they say tarnish the others out there who are more reasonable about it.

The wild-eyed Christians sell themselves as being representatives of their religion. So what they say and do reflects back onto the whole organization. I will admit that a portion of this is lack of understanding is on the part of the atheist, especially the more brash they are about it. But here again - the wild fundamentalists intentionally portray themselves as representing their religion; kind of like a senator or mayor. The atheist does no such thing - they don't have any pack to represent.

The more reasonable Christians could do a little something about this image by showing it when they don't agree with the wild ones. If they don't want the image that the hardcore's put on them they need to make an effort to prove that image wrong. This isn't to say that the atheist shouldn't make an effort to practice a little understanding as well. But the middle of the road folks get a lot of their bad name from those up the food chain and that they can do something about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
For myself, Christians could dress up like Ronald MacDonald if they wanted, if only they'd argue using logic and sound evidence.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:48 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
For myself, Christians could dress up like Ronald MacDonald if they wanted, if only they'd argue using logic and sound evidence.
It's not the lack of logic and sound evidence that's the problem. It's the arguing, period.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:07 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
The biggest problem I see is that people on both sides just don't seem to be able to deal with the fact that not everybody believes the same way. I can't believe how rude some people on this forum have been to me when I've done nothing more than simply express my opinion. I haven't tried to convert anybody to my religion. I haven't told anybody that God hates them and they're going to Hell. I haven't implied that people who don't share my beliefs are stupid, deluded, naive, brainwashed or anything else. And no, I don't just need to develop a thicker skin. I don't like to be insulted, but I do like to talk about religion, and it appears that the two go hand in hand most of the time. Since nobody really knows for sure whether there is a God or not, whether there is an afterlife, or which religion -- if any -- is true, why can't we just be civil to one another? Why does every conversation have to end up spiraling downhill into a nasty fight?

Old 12-12-2009, 07:06 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The biggest problem I see is that people on both sides just don't seem to be able to deal with the fact that not everybody believes the same way. I can't believe how rude some people on this forum have been to me when I've done nothing more than simply express my opinion. I haven't tried to convert anybody to my religion. I haven't told anybody that God hates them and they're going to Hell. I haven't implied that people who don't share my beliefs are stupid, deluded, naive, brainwashed or anything else. And no, I don't just need to develop a thicker skin. I don't like to be insulted, but I do like to talk about religion, and it appears that the two go hand in hand most of the time. Since nobody really knows for sure whether there is a God or not, whether there is an afterlife, or which religion -- if any -- is true, why can't we just be civil to one another? Why does every conversation have to end up spiraling downhill into a nasty fight?
Aw, just get a thicker skin!

(I'm just kidding)

That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of here. I do share your observation that people tend to get rude when simply expressing an opinion. I think that there are some members who come here looking to pick a fight and they aren't going home till they win. And if they start not winning, that's when it gets personal instead of admitting that they were wrong, or at least withdrawing from the thread.

I haven't exactly developed a thicker skin, but I try not to let these kinds of things get under my skin. There are a lot of people like this out there and I just don't have time to battle them all.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:09 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well you are 100% right in my opinion ......unfortunately many who bother to post on religious topics feel that they 'do know for sure' that there is or isn't a God and its 'obvious' that their belief is the right way and those who disagree are just 'too dumb' to get it.I am happy to discuss my beliefs with anyone who is interested,and find the beliefs of others to be interesting.I don't understand why some people can't stick to discussing their beliefs and instead feel the need to constantly tell me what 'I believe' and 'what my church teaches' even if they have never been in my church.It seems contrary to common sense to expect that insulting me or my church is going to cause me to find your church,religion,or lack of one an appealing alternative.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
cleatis: The problem as I see it is that the wild-eyed fundamentalists are simply tactless enough to say things which are contained in the religion in general but which the more moderate Christians are loath to express. Why is there so little protest by the more refined Christians? I also wonder at the lack of criticism of the radical Muslims by their allegedly more moderate, 'peace-loving' spiritual cousins. It seems to me that in both cases, the moderate, presumably more ecumenical members would lodge public protests. Or are they simply allowing the radicals to speak for them?

I suppose this problem stems from the more basic "we're right and everyone else is wrong" concept which both religions have. At heart, there seems to be no possibility of compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality