Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM

606 posts, read 699,307 times

Advertisements

Science changed our lives in so many ways,it's easy to perceive.The computer,the internet,new drug...you name it,they are developed with the help of science.Without science,our lives are not different from other animals

My life goes on very well without God.I don't see the point of worshiping something.Everybody makes his own living,and relys on natural resources.Nothing to do with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
And for the Non-God Believers: What makes you believe in science, or whatever you believe in?
As Montanaguy or Plad or someone said, belief in science and belief in supernatural are a little different. In fact, it's a false dichotomy! Surely even the most stringent of religious persons belief in some sort of science (like a hospital).

But, anyway, sorry about the nitpick. Why do I belief in nothing, as opposed to a supernatural? It's what appeals to me. I'm just very grounded in logic, plausibility and tangibleness (is that a word?) and atheism fits that bill well.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 AM

954 posts, read 813,440 times
[quote=CHICAGOLAND92;763690]

Quote:
So, how do you know if you believe in God or not?
How do I know? I don't think I've ever believed in god, least can't remember doing so. I came from a completely atheist family so didn't suffer any indoctrination as a child. During my adult life, I have done voluntary aid work in Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan and Croatia. I've seen people dying from starvation and thirst and I've seen people who have been hacked to death simply because they had a different religious belief to someone else. I have seen a 7 year old child sitting in a field, too weak from malnutrition to move away from the vultures that were gathering around her, waiting for her to die and I've cried my eyes out as a 2 year old child died in my arms for the want of a $1 packet of pills that would have cured her. Those things have strengthened my belief that the loving, compationate, forgiving christian god does not exist.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:58 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
When you meet someone that makes a huge impact on your life you never forget them. When God came to me and saved me that was it I've never been the same. I know I know Him, and I know He is real.

\0/ <><

Old 03-10-2008, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,589 times
Stretch00, i read your comment.with all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about. you state science explains it self and yes it does, but it does not fully.

i mean science offers proof, but there are somethings that even science cannot cover.
i mean if you believe that the world runs by science and it is as it started out to be that means it was by natural causes. that's what science tells us. but even scientists themselves say that our human DNA'S our too complex to be created by 'natural causes'.

if there is nothing, an entire earth cannot be created from nothing.an entire world filled with humans and all kinda of animal cannot start out from bacteria or natural causes as science offers. it's impossible to happen.therefore, isn't it impossible to believe all started out from science?

Same as God, alot of things can be proven about the existence of God, not fully though cause we can't see Him. does that mean He does not exist? No, it does not.

science cannot even begin to cover, you know how when people pray and then a miracle happens? well, alot of us have seen miracles in the name of Jesus Christ.

science explains that?hmm how so? it doesnt, it can't.

And chicagoland, do not be afraid. i am going through the same thing. you're not alone. but even as i know there's a a God, i have doubts to myself sometimes.but just stay faitful, dont question it cause this isn't the first time this has happened to me.it's a trial.

Last time, days went by feeling how you were feeling and i questioned God and tried so many prayers.but one night i just gave up and said "God, i know this is a trial.i will not let Satan get the best of me.i will remain faithful until it's over." and right after that, i was filled with the Holy Spirit.

don't loose faith.He's real, i promise. i feel it, just at the moment, we're having trials.stay faithful because it's all worth it for that wonderful Spirit.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:56 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingtruth View Post
if there is nothing, an entire earth cannot be created from nothing.an entire world filled with humans and all kinda of animal cannot start out from bacteria or natural causes as science offers. it's impossible to happen.therefore, isn't it impossible to believe all started out from science?
First, you have to show me where a scientist said that the earth started from nothing. There is no such claim because nothing comes out of nowhere. Scientists have never said that. The religious just use that convenient claim to make scientists look like fools. As a matter of fact, that's the problem many have with religion. Something out of nothing. According to creationism, we were just created out of nothing. No materials that already existed or anything of that nature. Sorry, but THAT is what you really should be questioning. In addition, I'm sure you've heard of that little thing called spontaneous generation (something out of nothing) that has been proven wrong. Anyway, I'll wait for you to find one scientists who says we came from absolute nothingness..

By the way, the Big Bang says nothing about coming from nothing. If you actually knew about it, you'd know that, but you probably just read some Christian's criticism of it and assumed it's about something from nothing.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:30 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,226,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I'm trying to get a better relationship with God, but I'm not sure if I believe in Him totally or not.

Sometimes I do, but other times I'm not so sure. I'm not saying I don't believe in Him AT ALL.. I mean I pray to him, and read my spiritual books, but sometimes it's just hard for me to believe

So, how do you know if you believe in God or not?

And for the Non-God Believers: What makes you believe in science, or whatever you believe in?
The best advice I can give you is to keep seeking him everyday. Pray daily. Read your bible daily. What I do is I pray before I begin reading and ask God, that by his Holy Spirit, to open my eyes that I may see what he wants me to see, my heart that I may receive all that he has for me to receive that day and my mind that I may understand all that he is wanting to show me. After praying that I begin to read and then I close out the reading with another prayer thanking God for his word and asking him that throughout the day he would bring the truth of those words alive in me.

My opinion is that the fact that you are asking, questioning is a clear sign that you believe in God. That nudge you feel, the questions that you feel can all be ways that God is tugging at your heart to draw you into a deeper relationship with him.

I see it as any relationship. You meet someone and you want to get to know them better. How do you do that? You do it by spending time with them and by sharing real intimacy with them. Not the superficial kind but that which is real. One thing you can know about God is that he wants you to know him and if you seek him, you will find him. So just keep seeking.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 PM

265 posts, read 615,547 times
quote:"So, how do you know if you believe in God or not?"

when you hate the devil to the point of rejecting evil, and refuse to follow yourself no matter how much you think you know.

there's lots more, but I just kinda took a short cut. a very very short cut, but it's something to think about, what I shared that is. I'll try to come back and share more when I have more time.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM

265 posts, read 615,547 times
Default you'll know when.....

quote:"So, how do you know if you believe in God or not?"

when you hate the devil to the point of rejecting evil, and refuse to follow yourself no matter how much you think you know.

there's lots more, but I just kinda took a short cut. a very very short cut, but it's something to think about, what I shared that is. I'll try to come back and share more when I have more time.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 AM

27 posts, read 74,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
First, you have to show me where a scientist said that the earth started from nothing. There is no such claim because nothing comes out of nowhere. Scientists have never said that. The religious just use that convenient claim to make scientists look like fools. As a matter of fact, that's the problem many have with religion. Something out of nothing. According to creationism, we were just created out of nothing. No materials that already existed or anything of that nature. Sorry, but THAT is what you really should be questioning. In addition, I'm sure you've heard of that little thing called spontaneous generation (something out of nothing) that has been proven wrong. Anyway, I'll wait for you to find one scientists who says we came from absolute nothingness..

By the way, the Big Bang says nothing about coming from nothing. If you actually knew about it, you'd know that, but you probably just read some Christian's criticism of it and assumed it's about something from nothing.

First of all, it takes more faith to believe something else such as the big bang theory. To say that there was atom that just started to expand evolve into what we call the universe goes against the very laws that these scientist set for themselves. If there was an atom by itself that started evolve or what have you, then that theory goes agaisnt the law of Inertia -
An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

Even at face value, the big bang theory needs the existance of something greater to "jump start" the evolution.

These scientist that are so "great" can only discover and reason with what they know is to be real. Their logics and laws only stretch as far as their own reasoning will allow it. It was only 400 yrs ago that the great minds of our scientist believed that the earth was flat. They only could come up with theories that fit their worldly beliefs.

One last comment about the big bang theory. Scientist use a formula, some type of mathmatical formula that differentiates between what is possible and what is impossible ( a set number that anything that falls below it is consider impossible), when the scientist used the formula for this theory it fell some 10x times below their set number. But they still cling on to it becuase its the only way to explain the unkown.

I am not bashing scientist becuase of my belief in the Lord, I believe their contributions to our culture is great and that I am actually very thankful because I wouldnt know what to do if I didnt have a car, or a tv...etc...I just think its one thing to be able to invent things such as electricity, cars, planes, etc...and its a another to say they now know how the universe began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality