Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times

Advertisements

Call me a hypocrite or whatever you want. But as of today I am believer once more. I think I was just taking a much needed break for the politics that are religion.

I was kind of blindsided by it. It happened in a dream and i have to say it was the most powerful feeling I have ever felt. Alot of things have been going on in my life over the last few months. I had alot of unanswered questions, and they were all answered in that dream.

Has anyone else had this happen? Go from being a believer, give up on it for a bit and then *BAM* it hits you again like a sack of bricks?

I woke up this morning feeling more confident, stronger, and completely worry free. I havent felt this good since oh, 2001. Its like I have gone back in time or something, which is funny because one of the things I wanted to do was go back and be like I was then. I feel just as I did 9 years ago, fresh out of high School. I feel like I could run a marathon, climb the highest tower, or swim the longest channel. Now, I never did those things then, but I had the energy to.

Who wouldnt like to go back a few years knowing what you know now? Or send a letter to your past self?

Has anyone else had this happen? Go from being a believer, give up on it for a bit and then *BAM* it hits you again like a sack of bricks?
Out of curiousity what would you say in a letter to your past self?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Whoever she was I would see her again................

Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Whoever she was I would see her again................
Havent even asked her out yet. lol.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:48 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
fracturedman wrote:
Quote:
I was kind of blindsided by it. It happened in a dream and i have to say it was the most powerful feeling I have ever felt. Alot of things have been going on in my life over the last few months. I had alot of unanswered questions, and they were all answered in that dream.
I found your story a little unusual because it seems to be based on a dream which isn't something I could personally put much confidence in. A sudden reversal of beliefs would seem to require something more substantial than what you happened to dream on one particular night. I can't make any sense out of my dreams at all and I don't really think they have any particular meaning other than maybe I had something too spicy to eat or watched a scary movie and it might have influenced how I slept and what I dreamed.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
fracturedman wrote:

I found your story a little unusual because it seems to be based on a dream which isn't something I could personally put much confidence in. A sudden reversal of beliefs would seem to require something more substantial than what you happened to dream on one particular night. I can't make any sense out of my dreams at all and I don't really think they have any particular meaning other than maybe I had something too spicy to eat or watched a scary movie and it might have influenced how I slept and what I dreamed.
It was more than just any ol dream. But the dream would only mean something to me. Its actually a dream I have had before but some things were unclear it. I have had the same dream for months now always the same, always unclear. Last night, everything was clear.

I dont think it ws just the dream that did it for me. I think it has been building up over the last few months. I felt like something was off or heading my way.

Imagine if you can a thousand puzzle pieces all scatterd out around, as you put them to together you think some pieces are missing. As you get the puzzle pieces all put together, you know some pieces are missing. You find a few of the pieces but there are still some missing. After looking for awhile you decide to return the puzzle to the store so you can replace it(you really like this puzzle). As your looking at the puzzles trying to find the same one, you see one that is similar but with noticable differences, you decide to buy that one instead. Upon opening the box you scatter the pieces and make sure they are all there, success you have them all. Upon putting this puzzle together once again you fnd that some pieces are missing again. But all of a sudden you have an idea, look in the box, look where it all started. Sure enough there they are waiting to be added to your puzzle, one by one you put them into place and the puzzle goes from a thousand random pieces to a beautiful masterpiece.

That is how I see life, as puzzle. We are not meant to have all the pieces all at once. We are supposed to find them as we live our life. For some people they have the wrong puzzle altogether. Everyones puzzle is different, we all find our pieces in various times in our life. My puzzle is nowhere near completion. In fact I have only just started to put my new puzzle pieces together.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
fracturedman wrote:
Quote:
That is how I see life, as puzzle. We are not meant to have all the pieces all at once. We are supposed to find them as we live our life. For some people they have the wrong puzzle altogether. Everyones puzzle is different, we all find our pieces in various times in our life. My puzzle is nowhere near completion. In fact I have only just started to put my new puzzle pieces together.
Well that's an interesting way of looking at it. It's true that everyone is unique and their lives will take unexpected twists and turns that may change your outlook on things. For myself I seem to be very predictable in terms of my philosophical beliefs and tend to become even more set in my ways as the years go by. My religious beliefs, or rather the lack of them, have never changed in my adult life and my atheism has never wavered. It sounds like it's possible that your religious views have always been fairly strong but you may have been turned off by what you described as the "politics that are religion" which is understandable. I think alot of believers are also turned off by the institution and organization of religion. Some of my religious relatives feel exactly the same way.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I dont like the politics of religion one bit, that is why I have always, except when I didnt, been more of a personal/private believer. I used to like going to church, until it started to become Politically correct. I say if you dont like what you hear...dont listen.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Call me a hypocrite or whatever you want. But as of today I am believer once more. I think I was just taking a much needed break for the politics that are religion.

I woke up this morning feeling more confident, stronger, and completely worry free. I havent felt this good since oh, 2001. Its like I have gone back in time or something, which is funny because one of the things I wanted to do was go back and be like I was then. I feel just as I did 9 years ago, fresh out of high School. I feel like I could run a marathon, climb the highest tower, or swim the longest channel. Now, I never did those things then, but I had the energy to.

Who wouldnt like to go back a few years knowing what you know now? Or send a letter to your past self?

Out of curiousity what would you say in a letter to your past self?
Well, I'm happy to hear you're feeling better, but have you ever considered giving the credit to the power of your subconscience mind--which, afterall, holds the answers to all of our inner struggles--than to an imaginary figment of superstition like God? After all, the vast powers of the mind's subconscience have been proved time and again. (read some Carl Jung)--while God's powers have ganrered nary a shred of proof, or even probability.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Well, I'm happy to hear you're feeling better, but have you ever considered giving the credit to the power of your subconscience mind--which, afterall, holds the answers to all of our inner struggles--than to an imaginary figment of superstition like God? After all, the vast powers of the mind's subconscience have been proved time and again. (read some Carl Jung)--while God's powers have ganrered nary a shred of proof, or even probability.
I have gone down that road, and to tell you the truth, In the end I would rather find out I was wrong about believing in God, than find out I was wrong and God does exist.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post

....but you were never a "real" atheist!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality