Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 05:03 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

On August 9, Michael Boardley and several others were handing out gospel tracts near the front entrance to the national monument in South Dakota. The following day a park ranger approached the group and told them they could not distribute religious literature without a speech permit. Boardley claims he repeatedly requested the proper permit after returning home to Minnesota, but still has not heard from the National Park Service.

No rush, apparently, to allow free speech at Mt. Rushmore (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Show me that you're a christian by your actions.

Shoving papers in my face and yelling at me about fire and brimstone is not going to work.
I'm an adult, let me make my own choices.
Everyone in the US knows where there is a christian church. If we want one, we'll go to it.

Don't you understand the backlash for this type of action? To be honest, I look at all christians and base on the action of the idiots who won't leave me alone. I view you all like the plague because you want to change me, to yell at me, to tell me I'm going to hell. I want no part of people like you.

I'm certain that there are some good ones out there, I probably know some. But the loud, obnoxious ones who want to change me have destroyed it for all.

So, stay away from me. My tax dollars are paying for these national parks, there needs to be a separation of church and state.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:47 PM

I just got binged for being rude for my comment. Interesting. It's the very reason I posted what I did. If you close off everyone else and think non-xians are "wrong" or hateful, you prove the point. If you can't see that the entire world doesn't agree with you and simply accept that fact, you condemn them. Instead of trying to discuss another point of view or listen to another world view, you try to create laws that exclude others, you bing them.

Why the double standard? What's the problem with behaving in a manner that Jesus would have condoned. He was more of the attraction type of guy, wasn't he?

Since I don't cowtow to the xians, I get binged. Good move. Prove the point.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-09-2007 at 07:59 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I just got binged for being rude for my comment. Interesting.

Why the double standard? What's the problem with behaving in a manner that Jesus would have condoned. He was more of the attraction type of guy, wasn't he?
Are you saying Jesus would have condoned being rude?

Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 AM

I think I'm saying that my point about most christians was proven by the comment.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:33 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
chielgirl wrote:
Quote:
To be honest, I look at all christians and base on the action of the idiots who won't leave me alone. I view you all like the plague because you want to change me, to yell at me, to tell me I'm going to hell. I want no part of people like you.
I'm an atheist but I think your comments are little over the top. I've been on this forum for months writing posts and have gotten to know many Christians here and guess what? The majority of them are very decent and friendly people who aren't trying to shove religion down my throat. I just think you need to lighten up a little and I'm saying that in a friendly manner. I agree that there's a few aggressive Christians out there but the same can be said of Muslims, agnostics, atheists or any other group of individuals. I think if you spend more time here, and I hope you do, that you'll start to see many of the forum members as real people and find that you might even have things in common even if you don't share their religious beliefs.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think I'm saying that my point about most christians was proven by the comment.
Well I think if you read your comments you will see that they are angry and way over the top. Perhaps you would do better in getting your point accross if you took away the rude tones and just presented your opinion with out all that hostility.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Okay everyone, let's try to keep this from getting personal... and yes, a more "soft" tone is appreciated by all members.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:44 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
The right to hand out religious literature should be protected absolutely. I do not agree with religion or the belief in God, but I know which side I would be on if the authorities wanted to take away anyone's right to voice their opinions or hand out leaflets, regardless of wether I agree with them or not.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
I don't really believe that he has been denied any rights. I do believe in the right to freedom of speech, but I also don't think that people should be able to say what they want whenever they want wherever they want. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in supressing free speech, but not letting this guy hand out literature at a national monument is hardly supressing him. If his right to free speech was surpressed EVERYWHERE he went, then maybe there is a point there.

Personally, I prefer to not be bothered by people promoting their religion when I am on vacation. Its annoying, and rarely do those types leave you alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality