Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times

Advertisements

Evil- refers to violations of an empathetic ideal which manifests as morally or ethically objectional thought which hateful,cruel, violent or devoid of thought.

Pure Evil-Annihilation-It means being so destroyed that there aren't even any little bits to sweep up and dump in to the ash bin.It means being reduced to absolutely nothing.The idea and thought process along with the action carried out is the evil.

I think of genocide when I think of pure evil,when Hitler wanted to wipe out the Jews.He wanted to eradicate them off the face of the Earth.He had them killed and then burned to ashes.The evil aspect was the hatred and cruelty and tht violent acts Hitler bestowed upon the Jews.

Last edited by noland123; 07-11-2007 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 12:25 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
There is an absolute good and absolute evil. Not absolutely EVERYTHING is relative. Is pedophilia relative? Is torture and murder relative?

However, God created both good and evil. We would'nt know what good is if we did not have evil to compare it to.
Is pedophilia relative...to what? To brown shoes? To the Holland Tunnel?
Are torture and murder relative? To what?
No one here can define evil, because a definition does not exist.
Comparison is not a definition. Comparison is an evaluation, not a definition.
A scientific way to measure evil, or good, would be one that finds universal recognition, across all cultures, christian and non-christian alike. Such as the metric system, one meter is one meter, regardless if in China, Australia, Egypt, Italy, Iran, Russia, Chile, etc. Or, 25 degrees centigrade is the same all over the world. Faith plays no role in this because devices have been invented to use to measure distance or heat. A kilowatt of electricity is the same the world over. In all of these examples a standard of measurement is accepted everywhere.
What is your measuring device for "evil"?
Anything that is based upon political or religious opinions is not a standard, but remains as an opinion. Opinions are subjective. A standard for anything is not influenced by religion or politics.
Some people believe Clinton was evil, others believe GW Bush is evil. It's a matter of subjective opinion.
Are you wealthy? That probably depends if you compare yourself to Bill Gates or to a vagrant in Bangaladesh.

There are concepts which rely only on opinions and can't be defined:
-good or evil
-beautiful or ugly
-right or wrong

Everything functions according to acceptable or not acceptable.
I'll give examples:
-to torture detainees held by the American military, torture is acceptable; for other lands to torture is not acceptable.
-for the Soviet Union to spy on its citizens is not acceptable, for the Bush administration to spy on Americans is acceptable.
-for Palestinians to practice bombings of civilians is not acceptable, for Israel to bomb civilians is acceptable.
This is the world in which we live. These are examples of subjective opinions.
The primary problem with "evil" is that it is used as a dangerous epithet to label those who are different. The Nazis labeled the Jews as evil, therefore, justifying doing harm onto them.
In our times muslims are labeled as evil, therefore, justifying bombing the daylights out of them.
Humans can be excessively cruel and brutal, but that is not a definition of evil. Those who insist on defining "evil" will most likely apply that label to people they don't like and possibly want to elinimate. And, of course, they define themselves as "good", therefore, justifying their own deeds.
If you rely on biblical quotes to "define" evil, or good, it may be a good idea to remember that the christian bible does not set the standard for everything. It is not universally accepted.
I have never seen any demons, nor have I heard any little voices in my head. I don't believe in satan because such does not exist and I have yet to see any profound evidence. I believe evil acts are done by the person without any motivation from satan.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
Without getting into Bush bashing or politics I think that it is true that people have different opinions of what evil is. At the same time that doesn't mean that evil doesn't exist.

Of course, I believe in evil because of what the bible says about it, but even an atheist could define certain acts as inherently evil. Torturing of children for the sake of personal pleasure, and acts of the like where the PURPOSE and MOTIVATION behind the act is strickly for pleasure and power over that person/persons.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Is pedophilia relative...to what? To brown shoes? To the Holland Tunnel?
Are torture and murder relative? To what?
No one here can define evil, because a definition does not exist.
Comparison is not a definition. Comparison is an evaluation, not a definition.
A scientific way to measure evil, or good, would be one that finds universal recognition, across all cultures, christian and non-christian alike. Such as the metric system, one meter is one meter, regardless if in China, Australia, Egypt, Italy, Iran, Russia, Chile, etc. Or, 25 degrees centigrade is the same all over the world. Faith plays no role in this because devices have been invented to use to measure distance or heat. A kilowatt of electricity is the same the world over. In all of these examples a standard of measurement is accepted everywhere.
What is your measuring device for "evil"?
Anything that is based upon political or religious opinions is not a standard, but remains as an opinion. Opinions are subjective. A standard for anything is not influenced by religion or politics.
Some people believe Clinton was evil, others believe GW Bush is evil. It's a matter of subjective opinion.
Are you wealthy? That probably depends if you compare yourself to Bill Gates or to a vagrant in Bangaladesh.

There are concepts which rely only on opinions and can't be defined:
-good or evil
-beautiful or ugly
-right or wrong

Everything functions according to acceptable or not acceptable.
I'll give examples:
-to torture detainees held by the American military, torture is acceptable; for other lands to torture is not acceptable.
-for the Soviet Union to spy on its citizens is not acceptable, for the Bush administration to spy on Americans is acceptable.
-for Palestinians to practice bombings of civilians is not acceptable, for Israel to bomb civilians is acceptable.
This is the world in which we live. These are examples of subjective opinions.
The primary problem with "evil" is that it is used as a dangerous epithet to label those who are different. The Nazis labeled the Jews as evil, therefore, justifying doing harm onto them.
In our times muslims are labeled as evil, therefore, justifying bombing the daylights out of them.
Humans can be excessively cruel and brutal, but that is not a definition of evil. Those who insist on defining "evil" will most likely apply that label to people they don't like and possibly want to elinimate. And, of course, they define themselves as "good", therefore, justifying their own deeds.
If you rely on biblical quotes to "define" evil, or good, it may be a good idea to remember that the christian bible does not set the standard for everything. It is not universally accepted.
I have never seen any demons, nor have I heard any little voices in my head. I don't believe in satan because such does not exist and I have yet to see any profound evidence. I believe evil acts are done by the person without any motivation from satan.
This is all quite logical, if a bit lengthy.

So then, in your view, is there any definate evil or good? It's all subjective, so molesting children is not necessarily evil, correct? Because some screwed up culture allows for it to happen and it's fine with them, we must add their belief that it is okay into the equation, right? Using this rational, eventually everything becomes permissable, does it not?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
This is all quite logical, if a bit lengthy.

So then, in your view, is there any definate evil or good? It's all subjective, so molesting children is not necessarily evil, correct? Because some screwed up culture allows for it to happen and it's fine with them, we must add their belief that it is okay into the equation, right? Using this rational, eventually everything becomes permissable, does it not?
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jeffncandace again.

Great point!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jeffncandace again.

Great point!
Thanks jazzed! I think that although the post is well written, and I understand and respect many of the points made, it is ultimately an example of the wisdom of man being foolishness to God.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 PM

You are looking for a strawman to knock down.
The molesting of children is not what I was explaining. It's a poor example, like trying to suggest that those who don't believe in evil condone the molestation of children.
I was explaining the concept that "evil" and "good" can't be defined, that everything functions on the concept of acceptable, or not acceptable.
In our society, the molestation of children is not acceptable by law. I don't have a problem that harming children is considered as not acceptable by law. Maybe the person that molests children believes it is acceptable, but he/she could be prosecuted and jailed for his/her actions. In a court of law the child molester will not be charged with being evil (there is no such charge), but the charges against him/her will be more specific, along with sound evidence and testimony.
Fortunately, the days of accusing and punishing people for being "evil" are well behind us, like about 400 years.
The acceptable or not acceptable concept can be applied to much more...this is a big world. I have listed some examples in my previous post. Wanna try one of those? I bet not!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
You are looking for a strawman to knock down.
The molesting of children is not what I was explaining. It's a poor example, like trying to suggest that those who don't believe in evil condone the molestation of children.
I was explaining the concept that "evil" and "good" can't be defined, that everything functions on the concept of acceptable, or not acceptable.
In our society, the molestation of children is not acceptable by law. I don't have a problem that harming children is considered as not acceptable by law. Maybe the person that molests children believes it is acceptable, but he/she could be prosecuted and jailed for his/her actions. In a court of law the child molester will not be charged with being evil (there is no such charge), but the charges against him/her will be more specific, along with sound evidence and testimony.
Fortunately, the days of accusing and punishing people for being "evil" are well behind us, like about 400 years.
The acceptable or not acceptable concept can be applied to much more...this is a big world. I have listed some examples in my previous post. Wanna try one of those? I bet not!
Interesting Visvaldis, can I ask you a question?

I don't mean this literally, but I guess you wouldn't mind if I torture you or spy on you or blow you up, right?

Because if you would mind, then there is some standard that you find applies to you. Of course you would mind, anyone would. So just because certain people find these things acceptable does not make them good and/or bad, they still are what they are. Our reactions to these matters are the true test to how we feel about them. Kinda like the old song says "Everybody want to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die".

I don't know if that makes sense to you or not.

Just a thought.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 PM

So just because certain people find these things acceptable does not make them good and/or bad, they still are what they are. [/quote]

Of course not, I don't want to be bombed. Who does?

I'm not certain of what you want to say.
"So just because certain people find these things acceptable does not make them good and/or bad, they are still what they are."
"certain people"...who are certain people
"these things"...which things, bombings?
"them"...what or who is the "them"? the things or the people?
"they are still what they are"...they refers to? the things, or the people?
What are you trying to say?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:37 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
So just because certain people find these things acceptable does not make them good and/or bad, they still are what they are.
Quote:
Of course not, I don't want to be bombed. Who does?

I'm not certain of what you want to say.
"So just because certain people find these things acceptable does not make them good and/or bad, they are still what they are."
"certain people"...who are certain people
"these things"...which things, bombings?
"them"...what or who is the "them"? the things or the people?
"they are still what they are"...they refers to? the things, or the people?
What are you trying to say?
I'm trying to say that if these things are unacceptable to you, then you clearly do see them as evil, if only for you.

If I find it acceptable to steal, is it fine to steal?

No, you wouldn't be OK with me stealing from you.

And if you wouldn't be Ok with me stealing from you, then you must think it's bad or evil or immoral or something like that.

So what's right and wrong is clearly a part of who we are, our reactions to events shows that.

Just because half the people in prison think stealing is acceptable, doesn't mean it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality