Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,969,770 times

Advertisements

It has been said by some, that a Near Death Experience is simply the mind reacting to the last sparks of life. Yet if that is true, why then are numerous people who have been blind since birth reporting that they experienced sight for the first time in their life during such an experience? They tell us, that they were able to see themselves being worked on by the doctors and nurses. They even report seeing objects outside of the buildings where they were at. How is that possible?

People born blind can see during a near-death experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
I'd like to see the proof that that has ever happened. I don't believe that it has. The link you gave us says,
Quote:
Dr. Ken Ring and Sharon Cooper interviewed at length during a two-year study just completed concerning near-death experiences of the blind. The results of their study appear in their newest book Mindsight.
Why wasn't their research submitted to a peer-reviewed journal? How do we know these authors did not make up their evidence?

Prove to me that these blind-since-birth people really saw objects and people first, then we can entertain the possible naturalistic explanations.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Quote:
Why can someone blind since birth see during a nde?
I don't believe this is factual. For one thing it would take a long period of time for the brain in someone who's always been blind and can suddenly see to be able to process the sensory information from the eyes into something that could even be comprehended. That's basically what happens with a newborn baby. The senses are functioning but their brain has to develop in order for them to interpret what they're seeing and hearing, etc.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I have a cousin who is blind since birth. She says the things she sees in her head are more than likely just confusing distortions of other peoples explanations and make no sense to the sighted when she tries to explain them..

She relies on her hands and fingertips to see with..When she explains what she sees with them it is fairly accurate in dimensions only such as large, small nose big small ears, soft skin, etc..She has no concept of colors, mountains or the ocean..

She has never related a nde, but says her dreams are in the dark..If she ever has a nde and accurately describes images she has never been able to see it would undoubtedly make a few believers out of the unbelievers..

As for myself..Maybe there are nde's.I have read a couple that I really wonder about and hope it is really a glimpse into the hereafter, but most I have read just seem to be made up stories based on what they have read elsewhere or are out and out lies to scare someone into believing what they want them to believe..

But I have a skeptical nature about me in that I have to see or touch for myself to believe some things..

jmho

Old 02-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I'd like to see the proof that that has ever happened. I don't believe that it has. The link you gave us says,

Why wasn't their research submitted to a peer-reviewed journal? How do we know these authors did not make up their evidence?

Prove to me that these blind-since-birth people really saw objects and people first, then we can entertain the possible naturalistic explanations.

Well I can't speak for them, yet I have no reason to believe they are lying. And I can say that, because back around the year 1968 I got caught on a 7,400 volt eletrical line. Now I was laying face down on the ground and unable to move. And then a woman from across the street came over to where I was laying, and was looking down on me asking everyone if I was dead. Now my physical eyes would of been unable to see this woman, yet, I was looking right into her face, which should of been impossible. I was seeing her, and thinking to myself. "I'm looking right at you, why do you keep asking if I'm dead?" When your near death, and your physical eyes are nolonger in use. Your spiritual eyes take over. What I experienced, would not lend itself to any naturalistic explanation.

And I would add here, that Dr. kenneth Ring, Dr. Michael Sabom, and Dr. Pim Van Lommels work has been published in PEER REVIEWED Science Journals. And it's doubtful, that such men would put their well earned reputations on the line for a fake study. Consider the link below.

Question 28 about Near Death Experiences.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
It has been said by some, that a Near Death Experience is simply the mind reacting to the last sparks of life. Yet if that is true, why then are numerous people who have been blind since birth reporting that they experienced sight for the first time in their life during such an experience? They tell us, that they were able to see themselves being worked on by the doctors and nurses. They even report seeing objects outside of the buildings where they were at. How is that possible?

Because when you die (and sleep) your brain produces a chemical called Dimethyltryptamine, or DMT for short, which is the most powerful hallucinogen known to man. I'm guessing that when you have a true near death experience and your brain really thinks you are about to die, it might produce this chemical, perhaps allowing the individual to "see" things.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 AM

218 posts, read 397,648 times
Default So interesting!

How interesting. But not surprising to those of us who believe that the real, lasting personality is spirit, not physical.

Actually, all people see and hear things with the spirit, not the body. The body is merely the vehicle for sight, hearing, touching, tasting, etc. If a persons spirit leaves the body the spirit can experience all those things while the body feels nothing.

I have talked with a number of people who had out-of-body experiences and how very strange it was. They could prove that they saw people doing things in the same room and even testify of the actions and events in other places while their body remained in the same location, unconscious.

There is hardly greater evidence to the truthfulness of the Bible about the spirit world.

Best wishes to all.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 AM

218 posts, read 397,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
Because when you die (and sleep) your brain produces a chemical called Dimethyltryptamine, or DMT for short, which is the most powerful hallucinogen known to man. I'm guessing that when you have a true near death experience and your brain really thinks you are about to die, it might produce this chemical, perhaps allowing the individual to "see" things.
That may be so, but it doesn't explain how such people can tell about facts that occurred in places other than the unconscious body. I reject the notion that a chemical reaction provides that knowledge. It falls short of a complete explanation for their experiences.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:57 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper View Post
That may be so, but it doesn't explain how such people can tell about facts that occurred in places other than the unconscious body. I reject the notion that a chemical reaction provides that knowledge. It falls short of a complete explanation for their experiences.
Well actually, DMT is known to many as the "spirit molecule" because it resides in every living thing, plants & animals alike. There hasn't been very much research into it so who knows what its true properties are!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't believe this is factual. For one thing it would take a long period of time for the brain in someone who's always been blind and can suddenly see to be able to process the sensory information from the eyes into something that could even be comprehended. That's basically what happens with a newborn baby. The senses are functioning but their brain has to develop in order for them to interpret what they're seeing and hearing, etc.
MontanaGuy, your missing the point. She is nolonger using the human brain. She is seeing these things in the spirit, and that is evident by the fact that she is looking down on her body. Vicki Umipeg states, that when she had her NDE. She could see her body, she said she definitely saw her wedding ring, and she also stated that this was the first time she could ever relate to seeing what light was, and that was because she experienced it.

Dr. Kenneth Ring, Dr. Michael Sabom, and Dr. Pim Van Lommel, are all highly qualified professional and scholarly people. Now maybe you don't want to believe their findings. Yet their research has been published in peer reviewed science journals. Consider the link below.

Question 28 about Near Death Experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality