Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

The resurrection of Jesus Christ: Fact or fable?

Public Prayer | Learn The Bible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

The resurrection of Jesus Christ: Fact or fable?

Public Prayer | Learn The Bible

Certain prayers are required to be said with a minyan. We pray as a community, not as isolated individuals.

Dont know what go into that Matthew dude. Its good to be seen daven ing by other Jews - inspires them to come join. sheesh.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
"Pray /v/: to ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."
"Prayer /n/: how to do nothing and still claim you're helping."

Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
"Pray /v/: to ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."
Unless I'm very much mistaken, Ambrose Bierce had something to do with that quotation. (Nobody could be more appropriate to this thread!)

Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Unless I'm very much mistaken, Ambrose Bierce had something to do with that quotation. (Nobody could be more appropriate to this thread!)
Yup! You can find it here: [ The Devil's Dictionary Dot Com ]

Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
Quote:

I pray for the whole (confessedly unworthy) house of Israel. and in my more generous moments, for the entire human race, as unworthy as it is.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times
Quote:
"Prayer /n/: how to do nothing and still claim you're helping."
Not all prayers are like that. How is saying a prayer for someone any different than saying you're in my thoughts. How is any different than saying I'm there for you and not actually doing anything. It's simply a kind word. Nothing wrong with that.

Slapping a bumper sticker supporting a cause is the same thing. wearing a shirt to support a cause is the same thing. You obviously don't know too many kind Christians. Most of them would alter their day to help you if you needed them to. But, if your name suggests that you you live in the south... I believe they help only their own. Sorry

Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post

Slapping a bumper sticker supporting a cause is the same thing. wearing a shirt to support a cause is the same thing. You obviously don't know too many kind Christians. Most of them would alter their day to help you if you needed them to. But, if your name suggests that you you live in the south... I believe they help only their own. Sorry
No, it's not the same thing as prayer, because bumper stickers/shirts in support of a cause generally have part or all of their purchase price donated to that cause. Unlike prayer, where all you're doing is mumbling to yourself and not actually helping at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality