Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Evidence of a God is all in the eye of the beholder, a person can look at a seedling sprouting and see God in its works, and another person can look at the same seedling and see nothing but a biological process taking place. If one seeks imperial evidence then one would have to ask the question, "What type of evidence do I need in order to be convienced?"

exactly. one is realistic, and the other a figment of ones flawed imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
a person can deny they have emotions, and say they don't believe in emotions, but that is just them denying a part of themselves

same with spirit

as humans we all have these four bodies: physical, mental, emotional, spiritual

a lot of humans are really squeamish about admitting to having emotions, and to having a spiritual part. So they aren't denying god so much as denying the part of themselves that is spiritual.

people deny all sorts of things they are too frightened, squeamish, uncomfortable, unwilling to deal with by reducing it to an "optional belief" often with the superior arrogance of "I am too smart to believe in god" or "I am too disciplined to engage in emotions, i don't need them". Such people are comfortable with "thoughts" and "physical" things, but not with feelings and emotions and intuitions.

until a person lives in balance in all four parts of themselves, they are crippled and live a life not in balance. The easiest way to avoid dealing with something, is to deny its existence.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Choices, choices.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Evidence of a God is all in the eye of the beholder, a person can look at a seedling sprouting and see God in its works, and another person can look at the same seedling and see nothing but a biological process taking place. If one seeks imperial evidence then one would have to ask the question, "What type of evidence do I need in order to be convinced?"
Not exactly true, Terry. Evidence is evidence. It can be good ("Here. I'll drop this tennis ball to prove gravity. I can do it a million times, and sooner or later, you'll have to agree: it's a pretty good theory!") or bad ("You'll just have to believe me; there's a God because, well, just look around! It's all so beautiful. That proves God!").

Well sorry, but hardly. It only "proves" that your standards for evidence are falling rather short, and that you choose to believe, based on faith, that there's a God. Cold hard investigation has NEVER revealed ANY rational proof of God, and to add insult, a lot of things originally credited to Him in the ancient and scientifically illiterate bible have been proven to be absolutely due to other, far more rational conditions.

So, we takes our pick and we lives with it. I just prefer rationality and evidence, and as some famous guy said:

"I don't require God to explain the world around me."

Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
saly 44 wrote:

If this evidence is available would you mind directing those of us who are atheists or even Christians who may be doubting their faith where it is located? After over three years on this forum no one has produced any hard evidence that would prove that God is real. If you are able to achieve this goal you're going to be on national news programs by tomorrow because no one in history has done it so far so you'd be the first.
hi montanaGuy

what if we avoid the evedences of God's existence for a second , and just made simple assumptions about probabilty of existence of God with reference to what we see around us (regardless of what we know about prophets and scripturs , just using our minds ) !

please allow me to quote for you some of our thoughts about that ( my reference is islamic , but not referenced to essence of our beliefs , it's raw thought and raw rational )

Imam Abu Hanifa replied to the question be asked from athiest about existense of God saying , "Forget it! At the moment, I am busy thinking about this ship. People tell me there is a big ship, it contains different goods on board. There is no one to steer it, no one maintaining it. Yet, this ship keeps going back and forth; it even traverses big waves on the oceans; it stops at the locations that it is supposed to stop at; it continues in the direction that it is supposed to head. This ship has no
captain and no one planning its trips."
The atheist who posed the question interrupted and exclaimed, "What kind of strange and silly thought is this? How can any intelligent person think that some thing like this can occur?"
Imam Abu Hanifa said, "I feel sorry about your state! You cannot imagine one ship running without some one looking after its affairs. Yet you think that for this whole world, which runs exactly and precisely, there is no one who looks after it, and no one owns it."

i think that it's more logic to assume that the creator is exist even if you can't see him

Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal reflected on the question in the following way. He said, "There is an incredibly strong fort, it has no doors, there is no way to get in. In fact, there is not even a hole in it. From outside it glows like the moon and from inside it shimmers like gold. It is sealed from all sides, matter of fact it is air tight. Suddenly one of its doors breaks down, a living thing with eyes and ears, a beautiful looking animal appears yelling and wandering all over. So is not there a creator who made it possible for life to take place in this secured and closed fort? And is not this Creator better than humans? This Creator has no limit."

Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal was referring to an egg which is closed from all sides but Allah (subhanahu wa ta`ala) The Khaliq (Creator) puts life in it and a chick pops out.

if you (athiests) interrested in pure evidence , logic , sense and science . so you just need to accept that those whom believe in God's existence used thier mind , sense , science and logic either

Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM

18 posts, read 36,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The evidence of Zoroaster is there but you don't take it.

I personally feel sorry when I see or find someone who won't accept Zoroaster because Zoroaster is right in front of them but they do not see it.

Why deprive yourself of happiness by rejecting Zoroaster?

See how it works Saly?

Zoroaster it is Just an old philosophies Or A range of principles by

Zoroaster are not a religion at all

I reject it because it is not God's way

saly

Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saly 44 View Post
Zoroaster it is Just an old philosophies.........
Yeah! Now your gettin' it fella.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM

18 posts, read 36,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
saly 44 wrote:

If this evidence is available would you mind directing those of us who are atheists or even Christians who may be doubting their faith where it is located? After over three years on this forum no one has produced any hard evidence that would prove that God is real. If you are able to achieve this goal you're going to be on national news programs by tomorrow because no one in history has done it so far so you'd be the first.

MontanaGuy,

anyway pleas writ to me just One proof to that god (allah) is not real

Any atheist here writes me that ...

Do you notice that in this universe contradictions

Which indicates that there is controlling with it ..

Why are you sick? ....Why do you heal?

Why are you hungry?......why why ...................etc

Day ....night !!

Sunrise ......Sunset!!

Why we if interrupted breathing die ?

You only sailing in the universe

Is not someone manage ?

praise be to allah (god)

saly

Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
^^ First, I suggest reading any book on Biology, Human Pathophysiology, or other texts from the last 20 years. Something from this era.

Secondly, it is my sincere opinion that the need to believe that someone or something else is controlling our lives and fates is nothing more than psychological dependency.

Some of us are stronger than that.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saly 44 View Post
MontanaGuy,

anyway pleas writ to me just One proof to that god (allah) is not real
Please give me one proof that Brahma is not real.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Christians,

Why do so many of you blame atheists for not “choosing” to believe in god (or "choosing" to not believe in god)? We have not made that choice.

How does one just “choose” to believe in god, if they have not been convinced that “he” exists?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence if they are to be believed.

1)For example, if you read in a biography that Abraham Lincoln ate an apple everyday for breakfast, you probably would not even question this and would accept the claim.. People eat apples every day, so it is no skin off your nose to believe that Lincoln ate apples for breakfast. Sure this could be a false claim, but it is not unreasonable to believe it.

2)Now, what about the story of Lincoln being shot by John Wilkes Booth? Sure, that could be a made-up legend, but we do have evidence that he died and we know that humans who are shot, often die, so it is not unreasonable to believe this.

3)Now, what if people claimed that Lincoln died but came back to life inhabiting the body of his successor in order to finish out his term? Is it reasonable to believe that humans come back to life and then inhabit another person's body? Not without extraordinary evidence.

Claims #1 and #2 may very well be false, but I would have no problem believing #1 and #2 about Lincoln without much or any evidence. It is an ordinary occurrence that is not unreasonable to believe in because we know people eat apples and are shot everyday. However, if someone asked me to bet my life savings on my belief that Lincoln ate apples, I would not take the bet without doing some in depth research and finding proof of this information.

However, claim #3 would require extraordinary evidence to be believed. It is only with extraordinary claims that are outside of our realm of normalcy and experience, where I would require extraordinary (or convincing) evidence in order to personally believe it. In the above example, I don't reject that Lincoln existed, I just reject the claims that he inhabited his successor's body because this is an extraordinary claim requiring extraordinary proof. Likewise, I don't reject that Jesus existed, I just reject the supernatural claims about him without some kind of proof.

With that being said, how does one “choose” to believe extraordinary claims without something that convinces them of the claim’s truth? Without some kind of convincing proof or experience, how is an atheist expected to believe in god? My beliefs are arrived at based on something convincing me of its truth. I cannot just choose to believe out of the blue. Nothing has convinced me yet of god's existence, so I do not currently believe. It doesn’t matter if I “want” to believe in god (which I do), because my beliefs aren’t arrived at based on what I “want” to believe in.

So why do so many christians blame atheists for not being able to believe these "extraordinary" claims (about god/jesus), when in any other situation (not related to their religion), they would most likely not believe such claims either?
This is quite true, myth . . . we either believe or do not believe . . . it is never a choice. Some of us, however, do seem to make an exception for "Nature." We seem to readily accept that "It just IS" without rhyme or reason. Don't you think that is odd? How is that NOT a god of sorts that is "just believed in" without understanding? It is the Creator of ALL life. It sustains us ALL. It gave us the drive to survive and multiply. Its "properties" enable science and our understanding of how things work . . . which can be manipulated to aid our survival. It is far more powerful than we are (natural disasters, etc.) and controls our destiny. Help me understand why this sort of god is accepted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality