Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 03:39 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,977 times

Advertisements

Prove me wrong.

Background: I am a follower of Christ, and I've found plenty of stuff to bring value to me life. I have food to eat, family/friends to care about me, and clothes to wear. Yet none of that seems to matter. I have not had a job in about 6 months, and truth be told, I have almost stopped looking. Why? Because there seems to be no point. Despite knowing alot of spiritual stuff, the mundane world has never had any strong connection to me. I've had jobs, but usually quit after becoming depressed. I just don't care about whether I live or die, I don't have any real job goals (many of them have been screwed over in the past, or I've actively been talked out of), and while I would like to have a family, I don't really seem to have a strong connection to any women I've met (not gay either, I've been hit on by guys who were into guys, and I usually felt like throwing up). It just seems like despite having religious knowledge, I can't convince myself to care about my life.

So I want to hear what you think gives meaning to your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 04:21 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,823 times
If life had any meaning we would have better things to do than waste time in this DG.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Prove me wrong.

Background: I am a follower of Christ, and I've found plenty of stuff to bring value to me life. I have food to eat, family/friends to care about me, and clothes to wear. Yet none of that seems to matter. I have not had a job in about 6 months, and truth be told, I have almost stopped looking. Why? Because there seems to be no point. Despite knowing alot of spiritual stuff, the mundane world has never had any strong connection to me. I've had jobs, but usually quit after becoming depressed. I just don't care about whether I live or die, I don't have any real job goals (many of them have been screwed over in the past, or I've actively been talked out of), and while I would like to have a family, I don't really seem to have a strong connection to any women I've met (not gay either, I've been hit on by guys who were into guys, and I usually felt like throwing up). It just seems like despite having religious knowledge, I can't convince myself to care about my life.

Have you talked with a doctor about your depression?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:47 PM

23,130 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:
Prove me wrong.

Dolphins, to have a purpose.

You need some dolphin shoes is what you need.

Ezekiel 16
When I passed by you again and saw you, behold, you were at the age for love, and I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness; I made my vow to you and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Lord GOD, and you became mine. Then I bathed you with water and washed off your blood from you and anointed you with oil. I clothed you also with embroidered cloth and shod you with fine Dolphin leather. I wrapped you in fine linen and covered you with silk. And I adorned you with ornaments and put bracelets on your wrists and a chain on your neck. And I put a ring on your nose and earrings in your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen and silk and embroidered cloth. You ate fine flour and honey and oil. You grew exceedingly beautiful and advanced to royalty. And your renown went forth among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through the splendor that I had bestowed on you, declares the Lord GOD.

What if you missed something?

What if you were given instructions how to follow a path, but you just haven't seen the instructions yet.

What if the two witnesses were in you, and you take no notice because you never considered that both witnesses could be in you, and what was written was just how a person graduates through levels in walking a progressive walk?

2 witnesses ARE in you.

1 John 5

This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one

You are 3, and each bear witness.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; Yesterday at 02:41 AM..

Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If life had any meaning we would have better things to do than waste time in this DG.
That actually cheered me up.

Quote:
Dolphins, to have a purpose.

You need some dolphin shoes is what you need.

Ezekiel 16
When I passed by you again and saw you, behold, you were at the age for love, and I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness; I made my vow to you and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Lord GOD, and you became mine. Then I bathed you with water and washed off your blood from you and anointed you with oil. I clothed you also with embroidered cloth and shod you with fine Dolphin leather. I wrapped you in fine linen and covered you with silk. And I adorned you with ornaments and put bracelets on your wrists and a chain on your neck. And I put a ring on your nose and earrings in your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen and silk and embroidered cloth. You ate fine flour and honey and oil. You grew exceedingly beautiful and advanced to royalty. And your renown went forth among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through the splendor that I had bestowed on you, declares the Lord GOD.

What if you missed something?

What if you were given instructions how to follow a path, but you just haven't seen the instructions yet.

What if the two witnesses were in you, and you take no notice because you never considered that both witnesses could be in you, and what was written was just how a person graduates through levels in walking a progressive walk?

2 witnesses ARE in you.

1 John 5

This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one

You are 3, and each bear witness.
This dolphinately sounds like a plan! I'm gonna get me some dolphin shoes! Damn animal rights activists everywhere! Also, you're abit odd. But whatever, I got a different perspective now.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
It just seems like despite having religious knowledge, I can't convince myself to care about my life.

Above is the problem. Knowledge alone is not the key,love of God,His Son, neighbor along with obedience is.

It is like the girls you mention, you know them but you don't love them. Paul (As Saul of Tarsus) knew God and had tremendous knowledge, but until he became obedient to Christ his life had no genuine meaning.

As one verse says:

NIV 1 Corinthians 8:1
Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge. {1 Or "We all possess knowledge," as you say} Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 PM

242 posts, read 299,065 times
Hi BB - as another recent "value" and "meaning" searcher- I have listened to a few self help cds and read a couple of books lately. I'm too naive to tell you which ones might help. But you might want to consider that section of your local library and grab a book or 2 to start. A couple of themes have emerged to me from them. Changing the "me" focus to "we" and living in the moment (and quieting the internal noise) . A visit to your doctor might be a good idea. Some of the nice folks who have posted on God have encouraged my walk also. But I'm learning that it is a relationship with God that blesses us. Hth- Mark

Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,153,100 times
To the OP:

It sounds like you are depressed. How long have you felt this way? I've struggled with depression at times during my life. It can be very debilitating. Don't be afraid to talk to a therapist if you want to go that route. Watch out for antidepressants, they can have very dangerous side effects and there is little evidence that they work any better than a placebo.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:37 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,732 times
Quote:
Prove me wrong.

Don't look to others for you're life's purpose. Here's the truth. Your life is entirely meaningless. The people on this board do not know you, nor do we truly care who you are. If you were to die tomorrow, none of us on this board would no the difference. In fact, most people wouldn't know the difference. Honestly, if you were to die, nothing would happen to nearly all people on Earth. Your friends and family would be devastated, but eventually they'll get on with their lives. You were not born to do anything.

But you were born.

The very fact that you typed this post out and had a thoughtful question means that you are alive. You can breathe. You can think. You can feel. Someone, somewhere, has just lost that luxury that you still have. And one day, like the rest of us, you'll lose it to. And as that day approaches, you're biggest regret in life will be not fully appreciating the reality that you are a living human being. At this very moment, you are simultaneously the youngest you will ever be again and the oldest you've been so far. This will never happen again. One minute after you read this, you will have aged. Granted, it's only been a minute, but still. How many time has that happened? How many minutes have you lived so far?

Your life is a collection of paradoxes. It's infinitely complex. So complex, that you get to complicate it further by asking why you are here. And why do you do that? The frog doesn't do this. The bird doesn't do this. The tree doesn't do this.

And that's just it. You are a human being. That means you matter. It means you are beautiful.

But you don't think that you are. And I'm telling you, in 50 years you'll look back at this moment and wonder why you didn't love yourself the way you deserve to be loved.

Don't be afraid. It's easier said than done. Most of us are afraid. We don't know what tomorrow holds, and there's no way of knowing until it's tomorrow, but by the time tomorrow comes around, it's already today. And you can't do anything about that, so why worry? Accept that some things are beyond your control. You'll find a job that you'll love one day, you just have to find it on your own. Don't give in to the whims of others. Find what you love, and do that. You might not know what it is yet, but so what? Think of how great it will be when you do know.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:54 PM

867 posts, read 908,873 times
Well, OK, so you are a Christian so that means you believe in Heaven.

For me what gives my life pleasure is working towards Heaven, better understanding how to work towards Heaven, sort of guiding people there or preventing people from being unguided from there, and developing those skills I can take with me to Heaven. Notice, nothing of what gives me purpose is attached to work i.e. there probably is no work in Heaven so I can't do it there why would I worry about it here (I work as an accountant nothing special and boring as all helk but a nice thirty hour work week).

So much of your original post was about work, it seems where you are fumbling is seeing work as the source of purpose in your life instead of just a way to pay for your bills. Can I recommend making your purpose in life separate from what you do for a living? I honestly could be happy flipping burgers or retail with the right co-workers so long as I could afford to pay my bills and have enough to pursue little adventures and hobbies.

So make work just about paying bills and make purpose something separate from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality