Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times

Advertisements

OK, this one is way out there, but I have to ask it anyway since I've had the experience twice in my life.
It happened the first time when my father died. I was on a plane flying across the country to see him in the hospital. As I was lying down across an empty row of seats on the plane, he came to me inside my mind to say goodbye. I cried at that moment and knew he was gone. When I arrived at the airport to find out that he had passed away, it was not a surprise.
The next time, I was in my bedroom and looked up at the ceiling, wondering why my friend was looking down at me. There was nothing there, but there was still something telling me that he was there. The next day I get a call from a mutual friend who tells me that my friend passed away the day before (when I was looking at him looking down at me).
Has anyone else had this experience or something like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:37 AM

823 posts, read 1,401,714 times
Hi Snort...I personally have not had any experiences but my Mother has. My Mother's Mother passed away when she was 3 days old. My Mother's Father remarried shortly after and my Mother was brought up to believe that her stepmother was her Mother.

When my Mom was about 10 years old she awoke from a sleep one evening and there was a woman up in the corner ceiling of her bedroom who had dark hair and spoke to my Mother and told my Mom that she was in fact her real Mother. My Mom was terrified and went running into her Dad's and Stepmother's room to tell them of what had happened. They told her she was dreaming.

When my Mom was 15 they told her the truth about her real Mom and how she had passed shortly after her birth....and showed her a picture of her. My Mom told her Dad...."that is the lady that came to me when I was 10".

Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Thanks for sharing that story. I was wondering if my experiences were unusual.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
The experience has not happened to me but my sister. She saw my father just before he passed. I do believe it's them just saying good bye. I believe spirits are always around us, guiding us through this life.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I've had several experiences like that, one just a few weeks ago when I dreamed about my father, who died 11 years ago. He lets me know every now and then that he's keeping an eye on me.

The most vivid time was the week after he died -- I was talking aloud to him (don't worry, I was alone, LOL ... ) about a private joke we'd had, when I experienced an overwhelming, tingling sensation of peace and calm that started in my toes and worked its way up to my head and hands. It was his way of telling me he was still with me. For a few minutes I desperately wanted to have that experience again, but shortly realized that there was no need.

I also had a weird experience the night a friend and co-worker passed away. The feeling was the opposite of the calm I felt about my dad -- this left me restless and nervous. At work the next morning I learned she'd died in the night.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,688 times
My mom had an experience many years ago after my father died. The doorbell rang in the middle of the night and she got up to answer it. It was my dad, letting her know he was alright. She said of course it could have been a dream, but she does know she did actually get out of bed to answer the door, and she felt he was there.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
First of all, I grew up absolutely NOT believing in the existence of ghosts, evil spirits, hauntings, etc.

My paternal grandparents were the closest thing I had to 'real' parents, in that I always knew they loved me, and I had spent a large part of my childhood with them (vacations, weekends, and living a few years with them in high school).

My grandfather passed away a few months before my daughter was born in 1993, my grandmother in 1995.

In 1999, I had a UTI that crept up to my kidneys, causing excruciating pain. I called the doctor and went to lie down until it was time to leave for the appointment.

After writhing in pain for a while, I looked up...and saw my grandparents standing together at the foot of my bed, smiling at me. They looked as solid as anything else in the room. Once I finally broke their gaze and shut my eyes (mostly in shock), they were gone when I opened them again.

If it was a hallucination, it was a very strange one...I had been ill for several days up to that point, and this would have been the only instance of it. I had not been thinking of them at all that day, either. Subsequent bouts of illness with much higher fevers (up to 103 F) from both influenza and reaction to quinine have never produced a single hallucination, either auditory or visual.

But--I have caught definite whiffs of my grandmother's distinctive rose perfume at the oddest of times since then.

I don't really know what to think.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Four different times in my life I was talking to someone and suddenly thought to myself, "I won't be seeing him again. He's about to die." One of them died in a car wreck the next day. He was driving a u-haul and didn't have the heavy stuff tied to the front of the truck.. got rear-ended.... and bam. Another had a heart attack and instantly died (2 weeks later after I last saw him. It was my dad.). Another was electrocuted about an hour later while setting up lights on a stage (zap then fell from the scaffolding onto the stage). The fourth flipped his jeep and was thrown. He was only going 40 mph, and the curve wasn't that sharp at all.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 PM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
My daughter was 10 when my father died. We all lived in the same house, and he got up and went to the kitchen in the middle of the night, had a heart attack and died about 20 minutes later. She slept through it, but my mother, my brother and I all watched him die. I know this sounds weird to say, but it was fascinating--the EMTs were working on him and nothing physical changed, and I couldn't literally see anything, but I knew the moment he left his body, and so did my mother and brother.

A couple of days later my daughter was in my parents bedroom where my mother had sent her to get something off her dresser. She looked in the mirror, and Grandpa was in the reflection, in his red favorite red flannel shirt that he always wore She said he smiled and waved at her and when she turned around to see if he was there, he wasn't, of course. My niece also saw him in the house that week. I think he was just saying goodbye to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality