Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No evidence is a reason to:
Have faith 3 17.65%
Lose faith 14 82.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Your plans are an act of faith.
Hardly. There's lots of evidence that you'll be alive tomorrow. It's not conclusive proof, but then again conclusive proof doesn't exist outside of mathematics so that's just word games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,462 times
Quote:
He’s not “my God”, He is our God – God of all creation which includes you.
Nope, does not include me except in your personal delusion, he/it is your made-up-in-your-mind god.
Quote:
God's plan isn’t dependant[sic] upon people “building Him in to their plans”. His plan provides for people to come to faith in Him and enjoy eternal life with Him, or eternal separation. The ultimate choice is up to each individual. It won’t happen without faith, faith either in Him or without Him – it is faith either way.
The threat does not work with atheists btw, so you can stop trying to use that angle of coercion.

Seems that since dissing him/it, my plans are working out better, like I said earlier, no change and now whatever successes I achieve, I can praise myself instead of ptl.

You theists amaze me, there is no faith in my case. I submit a quote, market it and IF the client accepts, my offer, it has nothing to do with faith or gawd. Learning to correctly analyze a clients needs is what actually lands the contract and of course past performance and recommendations. 90% of my clients are non religious and the most satisfied at the end of the day are atheists, they look for value for money whereas the theists ALWAYS want to screw me for extras w/o paying. I of course do not accommodate their perverted views of value for money, they end up paying just like the atheist clients do.

Odd that it is always theists that want to draw blood from a stone.

A bit more of my situation and still there is no faith. I submit a quote, if I get it I get if I don't, tough luck, no praying for a "divine" intervention.

There is a theist contractor in my small town that has the reputation of screwing people. Moi as an atheist and folk know I am a wee bit more expensive but I NEVER have comebacks, at the end of the day, my reputation precedes me favorably whereas the theist needs to find a new sucker to con, even his fellow theists complain about his dishonesty, he is of course running out of victims.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM

783 posts, read 1,327,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
You theists amaze me, there is no faith in my case. I submit a quote, market it and IF the client accepts, my offer, it has nothing to do with faith or gawd. Learning to correctly analyze a clients needs is what actually lands the contract and of course past performance and recommendations. 90% of my clients are non religious and the most satisfied at the end of the day are atheists, they look for value for money whereas the theists ALWAYS want to screw me for extras w/o paying. I of course do not accommodate their perverted views of value for money, they end up paying just like the atheist clients do
Again, you demonstrate that you do indeed have faith; your faith is in material things. You measure your “worth” through self performances and your score is measured in material “goods”. This is known as materialism which is a doctrine of Atheism.

Some sects of Christianity adopt a form of this doctrine also. It is known as the health, wealth and prosperity gospel and/or the Word Faith (name it an claim it) movement. It is a false doctrine no matter what religion follows its precepts.

It is not difficult for anyone to identify the fallacy of this doctrine. We all know people who have much but are unfulfilled.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
Quote:
Again, you demonstrate that you do indeed have faith; your faith is in material things. You measure your “worth” through self performances and your score is measured in material “goods”. This is known as materialism which is a doctrine of Atheism.

Some sects of Christianity adopt a form of this doctrine also. It is known as the health, wealth and prosperity gospel and/or the Word Faith (name it an claim it) movement. It is a false doctrine no matter what religion follows its precepts.

It is not difficult for anyone to identify the fallacy of this doctrine. We all know people who have much but are unfulfilled.
Do you pursue food? Clothing? Shelter?

Are these not material?

Are you then not pursuing materialism? After all, do you really need a computer and the internet to glorify god?

Also, atheism doesn't have a "doctrine". It *only* means we don't believe. What we do believe will be separate and can be labeled different based on each individual's choice.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,707,148 times
We are born Atheists, it is our natural state.
We don't leave our mothers womb and crawl straight to the nearest church

Theists insist there is a god, therefore it's up to them to prove it.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:52 AM

310 posts, read 589,668 times
Quote:
He’s not “my God”, He is our God – God of all creation which includes you.
I cannot begin to express how offensive your statement is! What gives you the right to dictate to others what god they should believe in and what religion to follow, or not as the case may be. Disgusting. Live and let live! You believe in what you want and let others do the same. How difficult is that to understand???

Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,154 times
Quote:
You might do well to understand the definition of faith. Faith does not require proof through “empirical testing”. That is, unless the liberal elite have changed the definition of this word like they have countless others.
You'd do well to understand what constitutes as evidence. Evidence comes from that which has been empirically verified through the material world(meaning our world of chemical reactions and nonsupernatural processes). Everything else is nothing more than conjecture and personal opinion. You can't empirically prove your faith, therefore there is no evidence to support it.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
This is known as materialism which is a doctrine of Atheism.
...and when was the last time you walked around in sackcloth and ashes? I trust from your statement that you don't own a house, car, clothes, TV, fridge, washing machine etc, etc. and I hope you didn't make your post from your own computer. The hypocrisy boggles the mind!!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,462 times
Quote:
No it is not! You see, I know what I can and cannot do, years of experience and training (plus some certification) I do not bid on jobs where I have no experience hence I do not have to rely on maybe getting it right (although in my case, I probably would) - No faith involved here, just tangible facts and knowledge.
Quote:
I am of course aware of this doctrine but that does not apply to me
Quote:
I am very fulfilled, a happy client is one that comes back to me for more work, by way of example, I see a client tomorrow that has already given me two different types of contracts and this one is again a different discipline, with a 4th waiting for when he is ready to proceed, he does everything CASH.

Now where is my faith? He stated unequivocally that he would use me and is scheduling all this work to suit his budget and timetable. Based on what I know of this client (experiential) he NEVER goes back on his word and is one that pays my deposits many time even w/o a signed contract in place (just to secure my services)

Were he to expire tomorrow, I would cut my losses and move on. There is no faith, no guarantees but history shows that he is reliable and seeing that he is 20 years my junior, if expiring has to take place it would be me. Nevertheless, my son who is my business partner, can and will complete the job - why? Because I trained him.

Sorry buddy, my whole life revolves around facts not fiction.

IF you want to ascribe faith to this, then my faith is based on facts and NOT on the hypothetical. IF I have faith in the reproducible and tangible, that is VASTLY different to the faith one has in the unseen/unproven/intangible.

Bear in mind, I was an xian theist for over 30 years - I know where you are coming from.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post

Bear in mind, I was an xian theist for over 30 years - I know where you are coming from.
Now, now JM!! You know that you weren't a REAL Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality