Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,633,730 times

Advertisements

I wish they had done something like this along time ago. Bravo!

Click here CatholicVote.com and then press play to watch the video. Some of you may think it's nuts but my hope is that many of you will say, Catholic or not, I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
I think it's absolutely despicable that any church tries to involve itself with politics. But, I think there holds a special place for my disposition especially with the Catholic Church and here's why:

The Catholic Church, although greatly ingrained in America, is the byproduct of a foreign city-state. It is owned, operated, run, and financed within its very own citystate that is all its own. The leader of the Catholic Church (Il Papa) is also actually the leader of this place as well and the way I see it - although foreign policy is of great importance to this country, I don't see where not only the leader of a sovereign state can actually get away with telling Americans how to vote, but that the majority of the American populace remains quiet as to this happening.

If the leader of China, France, Germany, Japan, or any other nation on this planet used money, power, influence, and advertising to try and convince voters to vote or even to vote for a specific candidate than I can only imagine the repurcussions and the way in which the media would grab a hold of it.

No. I'm sorry. I think it's the Catholic Church carrying it's typical swagger and influence in an all too familiarly powerful way that has me thinking of several notable events in history and I feel that both the Pope and the Vatican should be strictly admonished for trying to influence the vote in either direction. Neither the Vatican or the Pope should have anything to do with our political system and shame on the Catholic Church for trying to do so.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,769 times
I'm Catholic and also viewed that site the other day, good stuff. Thank you for sharing.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Then all catholic churches, parishes & diocese should lose their tax status.
Imagine the tax money we could collect on all of that prime real estate.

Last edited by chielgirl; 10-09-2008 at 05:27 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 04:43 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Another group expressing it's opinions.That's all.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
If it involves politics, they should lose their tax status.
Separatoin of church & state, and all that.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think it's absolutely despicable that any church tries to involve itself with politics. But, I think there holds a special place for my disposition especially with the Catholic Church and here's why:

The Catholic Church, although greatly ingrained in America, is the byproduct of a foreign city-state. It is owned, operated, run, and financed within its very own citystate that is all its own. The leader of the Catholic Church (Il Papa) is also actually the leader of this place as well and the way I see it - although foreign policy is of great importance to this country, I don't see where not only the leader of a sovereign state can actually get away with telling Americans how to vote, but that the majority of the American populace remains quiet as to this happening.

If the leader of China, France, Germany, Japan, or any other nation on this planet used money, power, influence, and advertising to try and convince voters to vote or even to vote for a specific candidate than I can only imagine the repurcussions and the way in which the media would grab a hold of it.

No. I'm sorry. I think it's the Catholic Church carrying it's typical swagger and influence in an all too familiarly powerful way that has me thinking of several notable events in history and I feel that both the Pope and the Vatican should be strictly admonished for trying to influence the vote in either direction. Neither the Vatican or the Pope should have anything to do with our political system and shame on the Catholic Church for trying to do so.
SO true!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,286 times
Absolutely correct. Politics will be their down fall. They're hanging by a thread anyway.

Cheers, Bluepacific

Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
You know, the Catholic church should remember what happened the last time it inserted itself this deeply into political affairs. The Reformation occurred.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,633,730 times
Ladies and Gentlemen:

For one, the video told you to vote your conscience. They did not directly support one candidate or another. Moral issues are, and should be, their primary interest and so the video is sharing and teaching what the Catholics believe is the most important issue.

About the Church and State and tax status nonsense, it's about being for profit or not. The video cost them money to send a moral message. They profit not, but a possibly few more good souls becoming Catholic and hopefully a few less little Catholics becoming dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality