Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times

Advertisements

I would never hit or beat my kids....but that's because by the time I want to hit them I also want to kill them...so better safe than sorry. Oh and they have no fear of me in the literal sense...but I kind of like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 PM

125 posts, read 471,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Perfectly stated.

Our children have grown up (and almost grown up, some still in high school) to be decent, loving, respectful, responsible people. We raised them with clear boundries, direct consequenses and lots of listening - both ways. They have been told every day of their lives that they are loved, with that they know who is boss in our home.

To hit a child is to teach control through shame, violence and oppression. There is far too much of that in our world and as far as I can see, it has not made the world a better place.
Thank God for people who think like you. I was raised in a household who believed in not sparing the rod and it only taught me how I did not want to raise my children. I believe parents should try to educate themselves on less violent ways to effectively discipline their children. Spanking should at least be reserved as a very last resort.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 PM

125 posts, read 471,935 times
Whenever the Devil tried to tempt Jesus, Jesus would start out saying, "It is written...". We as parents should raise our children by educating ourselves first about discipline and next by EXAMPLE.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:09 PM

43 posts, read 104,240 times
I have to agree that a spanking is sometimes needed. Thats whats wrong with our kids today. Permissive childrearing. The kids are running the households. Not God, not the parents. However I do believe that spankings should be a last resort. Parents have just gotten lazy, they cant get off the couch, go to the child, explain why they cant do this or that, etc. Children are not meant to be endured, they are to be loved, cherished and enjoyed. Ive seen great parents, who never spank, and Ive seen parents who scream, slap, etc. who arent in my book good parents. Kids are just little people, who need us as parents to guide them.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:56 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
I was never spanked growing up and have never spanked my own child. There is NEVER a reason to hit a child, all it teaches them is fear and violence. I think that this kind of punishment is not only archaic but just plain lazy. Far easier to give them a spanking then to explain why you feel they are in the wrong and give an appropriate punishment for extreme behaviour. That "sparing the rod and spoiling the child" quote has been used for far too long as an excuse for child abuse. You are not allowed to treat animals in this way, why would you do it to your own child?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I was never spanked growing up and have never spanked my own child. There is NEVER a reason to hit a child, all it teaches them is fear and violence. I think that this kind of punishment is not only archaic but just plain lazy. Far easier to give them a spanking then to explain why you feel they are in the wrong and give an appropriate punishment for extreme behaviour. That "sparing the rod and spoiling the child" quote has been used for far too long as an excuse for child abuse. You are not allowed to treat animals in this way, why would you do it to your own child?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Answering the OP

"TRAIN up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Prov.xxii,6.

This can also mean, if you are a child beater, he/she will turn out to be a child beater. Strange how in many Jewish households, more love and tolerance is shown and they ess. read the same book?

Ever wondered why gandparents do not "beat" their grandkids? Second chance.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Some of the responses in this thread lead me to ask: isn't there a difference between "spanking" and "beating?" The former is discipline, the latter is abuse, no?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:12 AM

414 posts, read 777,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Answering the OP

"TRAIN up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Prov.xxii,6.

This can also mean, if you are a child beater, he/she will turn out to be a child beater. Strange how in many Jewish households, more love and tolerance is shown and they ess. read the same book?

Being with you ...

YouTube - MAHALIA JACKSON ~ Great Gettin Up Morning

(in/on the ways given to me)

Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 AM

414 posts, read 777,025 times
Smile examples implied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Answering the OP

Being with you ...

YouTube - MAHALIA JACKSON ~ Great Gettin Up Morning

(in/on the ways given to me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality