Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:13 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post

Also, some people did generalize about Christians being like Islam if they got their way. I do not think that that is a fair assesment of the majority of Christians.
No, you are correct, the majority of Christians are peaceable folks, but there are a fair number who are not, and that element has the potential do a lot of damage to Christianity... As the radicals have damaged the reputation of Islam.

Here are a few self proclaimed Christian extremist groups

Aryan Nations came into being in the year 1974 from the efforts of our founder, the late Pastor Richard G. Butler. Aryan Nations was originally formed as the political wing of the Church of Jesus Christ-Christian; the latter organization being formed by the late Rev. Wesley Swift, one of the foremost proponents of the Aryan Identity message during the past century.
Aryan Nations - Official Site (http://www.aryan-nations.org/index-2.htm - broken link)

http://www.kkk.com/

Christian Identity

Army of God

Phineas Priesthood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Repent Amarillo (These people are particularly scary.)

There are more Christian extremist groups, but I'm sure you get the idea that Christian extremism is not exactly rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Trust me, I have as much trouble believing what goes on in your country as well. Some of the comments on these boards beggar belief.

Just as a note to the others who are saying he should abide by the rules of his country, wasn't he doing so in his own country? Wasn't he arrested in a country he was not even practicing his "sorcery" in? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's scary that this kind of extremism is on a government level and someone who is merely travelling through the country can be arrested and beheaded for something he was doing without reprisal in his own country. Perhaps he should have known the laws of the country he was travelling through. Does this mean that because I have read tarot cards in the distant past that if I travel through that country I could be beheaded for it? How can any sane person not be outraged by this?
What do you think of the Indians who are getting racially lynched in good old Oz as I type

Forget Saudi, zealotry can happen in Australia too.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
sanspeur: You're right. 'Repent Amarillo' is particularly scary! It states that 'this site is not for non-Christians'. Duh!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
the point here is: this guy whom i presume was born and raised in a country with a defined culture and belief and rules practiced since before he was born. knows what will happen to him and still chose to do it. as an outsider, i doubt u can really do anything to change it.

now, if they force that kind of punishment/mentality OUTSIDE of their country, culture,belief and rules .... then you can react violently. and it is just.
So you're saying that if it's the law, you should respect it and deserve what you get, no matter what?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The problem with many of those 'Christain' groups is that they have a very hard time justifying their actions and doctrine with Christ's teachings and the apostles doctrine. This is unlike the Islamists who definately have the upperhand in exegeting thier Scriptures not only historically but contextually as well as looking to the life and actions of their Prophet as an example to follow. Furthermore, Islamic history is not on the side of the moderates in Islam. Islamic Law and its historical affects are replete with examples. None of those 'christian' groups have any real or substantial power or backing from any nation state.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
The problem with many of those 'Christain' groups is that they have a very hard time justifying their actions and doctrine with Christ's teachings and the apostles doctrine. This is unlike the Islamists who definately have the upperhand in exegeting thier Scriptures not only historically but contextually as well as looking to the life and actions of their Prophet as an example to follow. Furthermore, Islamic history is not on the side of the moderates in Islam. Islamic Law and its historical affects are replete with examples. None of those 'christian' groups have any real or substantial power or backing from any nation state.
Crazy people can find all kinds of justifications in the Bible even from the ALLEGED words of Jesus who is held up as a symbol of love and non-violence. Problem is, he sometimes used (allegedly) some very strong words and used (allegedly) language that could be construed as violent. It's something like the political leaders and talking heads today who got their panties in a twist over the recent health care bill that passed. They used certain language that riled up the wackos on the fringe.

In one passage, Jesus tells listeners that they must "hate" their relatives. In another he tells his Disciples to buy swords. In another he says he did not come to bring peace, but rather a sword. In another place he uses a whip to drive out hustlers from the temple and in the book of Revelation, he is quoted promising to kill children (of Jezebel).

Now, I know all these passages have to be qualified and I realize some will claim the need to know "the Greek," the need to understand Jewish idioms and the need to check the context, but nutcases don't care about ANY of that. All they know is that their god/lord appears to literally talk about war, fighting, violence and set a precedent to resort to violence when upset about people doing things contrary to the will of god (whatever they interpret that to be) and they are not afraid to resort to similar violence.

Today, I sat and listen to a lawyer defend a killer by implying that because the killer loved children and was an upstanding, bible believing, law abiding citizen, then the action of his client in killing an abortion doctor should be seen as an act of love for the pre-birth children. Where did this man find his basis to kill this doctor? Note the subtle twist in logic that was being used to justify his actions.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What do you think of the Indians who are getting racially lynched in good old Oz as I type

Forget Saudi, zealotry can happen in Australia too.
I few racist thugs in Melbourne is hardly the same as a government arresting a traveller and beheading him for something he did in his own country. I actually have no idea why the Indians are getting picked on down there at the moment, but I certainly don't approve of it.

The point is though, that it is a matter that hopefully is being policed. What we are talking about here is when the police and government are the perpetrators, I don't care about what religion they are, it's just wrong, barbaric even.

Last edited by Lady Ice; 04-02-2010 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 AM

354 posts, read 749,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
So you're saying that if it's the law, you should respect it and deserve what you get, no matter what?
HE DEFINiTEly does not deserve it, but law is law. nothing you can do. for now. so if it means for this guy to die before people from saudi REALIZE how unethical their law is, so be it. what they have to do is fight to abolish that law, which i believe according to the news is a plan of some organization.

which reminds me. there is VERY realistic movie in our country, philippines about our migrant workers in saudi. i was shocked they can enjoy "night life" by the beach, drinking beers, having barbecues, and wearing normal clothes. i remember the line in that movie that "as long as you go by their rules, nothing to worry about"

then it happened that the girl got pregnant out of wedlock, they know the punishment is death so before her tummy became obvious, they decided for the girl to move back to our country. you see what i am saying here is you cant fight/reason to an existing law. you can fight to abolish it however.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
actually, i am quite surprised with america proudly saying they are free and they love their freedom but is allowing and EVEN studying spanish in their own country. they are angry at illegal immigrants mostly their neighboring mexicans but at the same time tolerating their ignorance of the english language. i just shake my head when i see in MOST job ads that requires bilingual(usually spanish-english) and is a MUST! if not preferred.

Yeah, this is a free country! We should have strict rules put on which languages people should tolerate!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
The problem with many of those 'Christain' groups is that they have a very hard time justifying their actions and doctrine with Christ's teachings and the apostles doctrine.
Considering the multiple viewpoints and outright contradictions in the Bible, all Christian groups - mainstream or extremist- have this problem. When all you have is a 2000 year old book to base your beliefs on, it's pretty easy to read into it what you wish. So on the plus side mainstream Christians ignore all of the statements condoning slavery while on the minus side extremist Christians can pick and choose bits which support what they want to believe. There's no way to argue that one interpretation is better or worse without looking at what society accepts - which is basically just saying that Christians today aren't like Muslims thanks to the influence of non-religious enlightenment thinkers on the US and Europe. That's great for society, but it is hardly a endorsement of the moral superiority of Christianity compared to other religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality