Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,924,442 times

Advertisements

I'm a faithful seeker and watcher of the various science-oriented "Enlightenment Channels" on TV, including NOVA, the Discovery and Science Channels, as well as individual series, such as the currently playing LIFE series, and various PBS specials. LIFE is a truly spectacular show, visually at least (the commentary is a bit simplistic...), a virtual celebration of what's alive on this planet.

These shows' producers now have at their disposal absolutely spectacular graphics components which provide really good and logical explanations of how complex things work or might work. Many "aha" moments, be it about life or astrophysics. They also generally indicate when they are being speculative, and they don't seem to waste time on ideas that are very tentative without qualifying, very clearly, that there are other competing alternatives.

My polite and innocent question is this: do you seek out and watch these sorts of shows, and what are your religious perspectives? An example would be: does a devout Christian avoid, say, a one-hour special on Evolution, and would such a person avoid watching such stuff? Or do they check out, with an open mind, the latest thinking and evidence on "spiritually sensitive" subjects?

If they do avoid such shows, why? Can a person who is potentially at odds with a subject possibly learn something if they then do watch? Or do they almost always simply tune in something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM

457 posts, read 757,383 times
I love'm!!! My favorite is "The Universe". Knowledge, I gotta have it.
Religious perspectives?? I watch as many as I can. The shows about religion to brain synapses. learn learn learn!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 AM

Thx, mrmikeman, but what I meant by "religious perspective" was not if you watched religious specials, but more like:

Because of their belief systems, do practicing Christians watch such Discovery-type science-based shows? Or do they, because of their religious convictions, tend NOT to watch them? Do such shows possibly affront them, and if so, why?

One of the obvious drivers for my question is that, in so many cases here on C-D, Christians provide truly erroneous ideas, easily disproven, about astronomy, physics, geology and of course, biology & Evolution. Given the easy availability on TV of such educational shows, how has this happened? Or better question: Why has it happened?

I'm just curious.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,436,538 times
I watch them,and they don't conflict with 'my' religious perspective at all.I am quite active within my church and would consider myself a 'believer' although I dont consider any religious books to be either science or history textbooks.Others are welcome to their own ideas.......

Old 04-07-2010, 04:47 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,345,995 times
As an empirical Christian, I love those kinds of shows. Wish there were more of them.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 AM

433 posts, read 587,473 times
You mean watching these shows religiously?

Think about the religious way: after watching Discovery channel, start to pray and worship ... getting into a supernatural world, infinite gains and losses, hell and angels, wrathful bearded man in the sky ...

Old 04-08-2010, 05:01 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I'm a faithful seeker and watcher of the various science-oriented "Enlightenment Channels" on TV, including NOVA, the Discovery and Science Channels, as well as individual series, such as the currently playing LIFE series, and various PBS specials. LIFE is a truly spectacular show, visually at least (the commentary is a bit simplistic...), a virtual celebration of what's alive on this planet.

These shows' producers now have at their disposal absolutely spectacular graphics components which provide really good and logical explanations of how complex things work or might work. Many "aha" moments, be it about life or astrophysics. They also generally indicate when they are being speculative, and they don't seem to waste time on ideas that are very tentative without qualifying, very clearly, that there are other competing alternatives.

My polite and innocent question is this: do you seek out and watch these sorts of shows, and what are your religious perspectives? An example would be: does a devout Christian avoid, say, a one-hour special on Evolution, and would such a person avoid watching such stuff? Or do they check out, with an open mind, the latest thinking and evidence on "spiritually sensitive" subjects?

If they do avoid such shows, why? Can a person who is potentially at odds with a subject possibly learn something if they then do watch? Or do they almost always simply tune in something else?
I studied the bible and specifically the new testament until I was over sixty years old. One good discussion about the universe, quantum mechanics and string theory is worth 100 times more than the whole religion ball of wax.

All religions were established then reinforced by those in power...by those who had access...by those who were part of the ones who had a need to fill. The need during primitive days was to control the masses. Look at it today. Not much has changed.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
We no longer live in a city. Since they shut-down all high-power TV broadcast that used to reach across the nation so low-power digital TV broadcast only reaches the high-population density areas. We no longer receive TV signals.

So no we do not watch any religious programming on TV.

We get our programming from reading the Bible.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We no longer live in a city. Since they shut-down all high-power TV broadcast that used to reach across the nation so low-power digital TV broadcast only reaches the high-population density areas. We no longer receive TV signals.

So no we do not watch any religious programming on TV.

We get our programming from reading the Bible.
Amazing answer. Not at all what I asked. My intent here is to determine if Christians generally avoid programming that is available, only because it's content, i.e.: modern scientific discoveries, offends their beliefs.

forestbeekeeper, I'm sorry you lost the old analog signals. Us too. We went for digital Direct satellite TV so as to not lose touch with the world. Yes, your situation does mean you do not have to be subjected to the tiresome flood of painfully stupid advertisements, but it also prevents you [or your children, if that's the case...] from seeing a truly wonderful show on, say, the plight of the cheetah in Africa, or coverage on The Mars Rovers, or on how volcanoes form islands in the Pacific, or how single-celled organisms recently discovered under the ice of Antarctica are, proven, from a family type that is well over 100,000 years old.

All of this in spectacular High-Def color and detail. It's a window on a world that actually is out there, undeniably, but that most of us cannot ever hope to visit unless we're billionaires. In yuor case, you don't even have the option of visiting via excellent TV documentaries.

Hard to deny that, huh? Unless you'd rather not experience the depths of the natural world around you. Or perhaps that some of the "assumptions" in those presentations affront you?

Seems there's some mis-interpretation here, tho' I thought I'd made my question clear. So here it is, plain and simple: my motive. I'm wondering if Christians tend to avoid such shows because, often, they assert natural evolution, an ancient universe, and/or alternate explanations to the formation of the universe, planets, etc. than God's version.

In other words, do your personal religious convictions effectively prevent you from seeing the larger,colorful, and truly wonderful world you'll otherwise never see (Face It: how many of you have perched on the edge of a Pacific volcano, or have sat out on the African veldt watching lions and cheetahs, or visited the home of the snow leopard, or walked alongside the Mars Rover?) What's that you say? "You'd rather not"? Hmmm...

(BTW, for you Christians who do watch this stuff in complete fascination, good on yah!)

Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,345,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
You mean watching these shows religiously?

Think about the religious way: after watching Discovery channel, start to pray and worship ... getting into a supernatural world, infinite gains and losses, hell and angels, wrathful bearded man in the sky ...
You make many assumptions about people, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality