Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking fuzzy esoteric new-ager type enlightenment either, but truly reaching for higher perspectives with a more complete understanding of what it means to be a sentient being in the universe.

I was reading last night and came upon this claim, which for some reason sounds true even though I don't honestly know why. Like the proverbial three tripod legs (take one away and the rest fall down), could a full understanding of the three be necessary to support the "next level" of cognative being? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,780 times
Before I could evaluate that statement, I'd need a clear definition of "true enlightenment". I don't know if religion is needed for "true enlightenment" as I don't know what is meant by "true enlightenment".

At first glance though, I'd say religion is not needed for true enlightenment because religions aren't true. Any nugget of wisdom in religion can also be found under the umbrella of wisdom. And experiences that are conventionally called spiritual (transcendence, awe, peace, connectedness, etc) can be had without religion and I don't think they offer enlightenment anyway if enlightenment means a clearer view of things. They are cool experiences, but I have learned from my own experience that they are unreliable as a way to discover truths about the nature of reality (but they sure will make you think that you have discovered profound truths [kinda of like marijuana and LSD can make you think you've gained a profound understanding of the world {I think that is why many ancient religions used drugs to gain spiritual insight}]).

Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
An altered mental state is the best way to experience another perspective, a key part of elightenment.

As far as what "true enlightenment" means, I have to admit I haven't any idea at all, but I bet it rocks, so I must seek it.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
One is truly enlightened if he knows that there is no such thing as "true enlightenment".

Old 03-19-2011, 08:27 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,554 times
Enlightenment is when you come to the realization that life is all there is, it is its own perfection, and there is nothing else necessary to seek. We have been told repeatedly that it is not perfect, and that we must strive for perfection so that we can attain it after we die.

When we drop all the illusions and myths that have been created about perfection, we can humbly begin to appreciate all the things that exist and have been with us all along, large and small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality