Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Keep wagering...I raise and call you! You might find this interesting::::-

Bad Science: Nine Ways To Dress Up Flawed Research - Better Health
Interesting and sad. This is the reason why peer review and replication of studies is so important. In cases where a lot of money is at stake, as in drug trials, it is even more important to have unbiased peer review and replication. Studies funded by entities that have a financial stake are naturally looked at with more skepticism.

But, regardless of the problems, this doesn't validate perception giving better results than science. I can point out numerous scientific achievements that have benefited humans. How about we play it this way: you point out documented and verifiable cases where perception and intuition have produced benefits to society. By this, I don't mean assert your conclusion to be true but actually show that your conclusion is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Interesting and sad. This is the reason why peer review and replication of studies is so important. In cases where a lot of money is at stake, as in drug trials, it is even more important to have unbiased peer review and replication. Studies funded by entities that have a financial stake are naturally looked at with more skepticism.

But, regardless of the problems, this doesn't validate perception giving better results than science. I can point out numerous scientific achievements that have benefited humans. How about we play it this way: you point out documented and verifiable cases where perception and intuition have produced benefits to society. By this, I don't mean assert your conclusion to be true but actually show that your conclusion is true.
Show "documented and verifiable cases" where perception and intuition have benefited society...You're kidding right?!

Let's seeeeee....How about very mother raising her child using her intuition and perception to determine the best way to care for, teach, and guide them...or when we choose a mate...or what vocation to persue...and it reeeeeeally helps at 4 way intersections served by stop signs during rush hour.

Lets get down to the REAL DEAL::: Intuition and perception benefits society with ANY and EVERY good decision EVER made by ANYBODY that wasn't based on empirical evidence that had passed the muster of "The Scientific Method"...which is 99.9999999% of the decisions ever made in the history of man!! Do you really NEED that conclusion to be shown as true?!!

We could not function without intuition and perception...OTOH we don't even need science...Gravity kept us from floating away even before Newton...for most of human history the majority of the people who ever lived had no knowledge of anything "scientific"...yet they still had a life. We don't NEED to know anything scientific...much of the worlds population didn't, and doesn't. Science and it's resulting technologies may be nice and they add comfort and convenience, but they aren't NEEDED...not like we need our intuition and perception.

Sometimes I think people put up arguments, for the sake of argument...without even thinking about it.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
It's YOU not getting the "easy stuff".

My point was...the people back when that believed Earth was flat weren't just going with "popular opinion" for that belief...like believing, for example, a Sun God Ra cried-and her tears were the other celestial bodies.

I was noting that their supposition of a flat earth was based on their "observation", and that the "hypothesis" they formed based on that observation was "tested" by all (even if the "test" wasn't specifically conducted) who drew the same conclusion at the time. That is "in essence" how the "Scientific Method" is conducted.
Who exactly are they, and how does your belief fit into the fact that early scientists knew the shape and size of the earth via experimentation hundreds of years before Jesus was born? You keep going on as if it were a fact that "ancients" didn't know there things, but that's simply wrong. You can reason as much as you like from something that's plainly not true but it's never going to mean anything.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Man is fickle. Gravity isn't. God isn't. But just because man is fickle, and wavering in his perceptions, doesn't mean God isn't just as real as gravity (really cool of Him to create the force of gravity...nice work God), and even more constant.
So you, a fickle man, assure the rest of us. There's more than a bit of contradiction in this claim, but then again lots of people claim that they're special because they think they're the only ones with a direct line to the truth about god. Unfortunately for the rest of us, these enlightened few can never seem to agree with each other.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Who exactly are they, and how does your belief fit into the fact that early scientists knew the shape and size of the earth via experimentation hundreds of years before Jesus was born? You keep going on as if it were a fact that "ancients" didn't know there things, but that's simply wrong. You can reason as much as you like from something that's plainly not true but it's never going to mean anything.
I was responding to Maia160, Post #20, this thread...relative to one of the more popular Atheist mantras, "The ancients thought the Earth was flat, but that didn't make it so", as a relative argument against the nearly universal belief that there is a God.

So, that is who "they" are...anyone back then (however few or many there were)...that believed the Earth was flat. You guys are so desperate to promote your concept...that is negligible at best in its scope...next thing you know you'll switch up and claim no one ever thought the Earth was flat. My suggestion...stick with the old mantra of, "lots of people thinking the earth was flat didn't make it true"...at least it has some basis in logic.

What really cracks me up is the way "scientists" near take credit for the very existence of the things and properties they discover or "figure out"...when all they ever really do is learn about Gods creation...and possibly how to manipulate it to our benefit or detriment.

BTW, Happy Bday to the Hubble ST launch...I wonder how many people could have been saved from starvation with the money we spent on that?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
So you, a fickle man, assure the rest of us. There's more than a bit of contradiction in this claim, but then again lots of people claim that they're special because they think they're the only ones with a direct line to the truth about god. Unfortunately for the rest of us, these enlightened few can never seem to agree with each other.

I don't think I'm "special". And not only am I not the only one with the truth of the existence of God...I'm just part of the 90% that knows it.

Those "enlightened few" number 9 out of every 10 people on the planet.

Look, your premise (no God) is so lame it's not even really on the radar...you need to "go back to the drawing board"...and come back when you have something that can at least hold it's own on the world stage.

As it is, what you have has negligible "juice" to "move" any appreciable amount of people. Sorry, but if you want an "empirical fact"...based on the evidence...try that one.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
I don't think I'm "special". And not only am I not the only one with the truth of the existence of God...I'm just part of the 90% that knows it.

Those "enlightened few" number 9 out of every 10 people on the planet.

Look, your premise (no God) is so lame it's not even really on the radar...you need to "go back to the drawing board"...and come back when you have something that can at least hold it's own on the world stage.

As it is, what you have has negligible "juice" to "move" any appreciable amount of people. Sorry, but if you want an "empirical fact"...based on the evidence...try that one.

Objective truth is not a democracy.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Objective truth is not a democracy.
If all you ever functioned on is "objective truth", you'd never move.
SOCIETAL LIFE functions differently...veeeeeery little is objective...and THAT IS an "objective truth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality