Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,019,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
That's not an explanation. That is a theory.
Materialism suggests that things are either physical or spiritual. Evolution only deals with the physical.
The origin of the spiritual needs an explanation. This is what we are waiting for you to come up with.
You don't seem to understand that love isn't a spiritual thing. I know all your basing your conclusion on is your opinion, but your say so doesn't make it so. Also, the thread isn't about love being a spiritual thing. Maybe you should make a thread on the subject. Maybe I should make one for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,240 times
Quote:
Only if you’re qualified to lead.

Hold it! What’s YOUR claim? Where did sin originate?
The OP claims sin is created by man.

Quote:
Says who?
Says those who believe God is omniscient.

Quote:
Hold it again! Conjecture. Not logical, since you cannot read minds. Right?
No. If God knows everything, then God knew man would sin. Because "that man would sin" is part of "everything" that god "knows".

That's the problem with omniscience, it is inescapable.

Quote:
Hold it one more time! What YOUR claim? Would a world without sin make any sense? How would you EVER be able to tell?
Again, I am addressing the claims made in the original post. These are not my claims. I am an infidel, heathen atheist.

Quote:
What’s the “available evidence?”
The state of human existence.

Quote:
Wait one cotton-pickin’ minute! This “either/or” scenario does not always fit the circumstances. True or false? (Hehaha)
Given an either/or circumstance (either god is omniscient, or God is not), it certainly does.

Quote:
All of this is so very old. (moan) Have you ever considered a third paradigm?
Yes, that god does not exist at all.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 AM

646 posts, read 634,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So where did the sin come from? If there was no such thing as sin then how could A+E sin? Sin must have existed for A+E to be able to commit it. What you are saying is that someone drowned when there was no such thing as water to drown in ....but water must exist before anyone can drown in it. See what I'm getting at?
I have to wonder if you know what the word "sin" means.

"The common Hebrew term translated "sin" is chat·ta’th´; in Greek the usual word is ha·mar·ti´a. In both languages the verb forms (Heb., cha·ta’´; Gr., ha·mar·ta´no) mean "miss," in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point." (Insight vol. 2 p. 962)

Since sin basically means to miss the mark, what is it that mankind has missed? What was he supposed to aim at?
The concept of sin was first revealed in the Bible.
A further look at the word shows that anything not in harmony with, hence contrary to, God’s personality, standards, ways, and will; anything marring one’s relationship with God. It may be in word (Job 2:10; Ps 39:1), in deed (doing wrong acts [Le 20:20; 2Co 12:21] or failing to do what should be done [Nu 9:13; Jas 4:17]), or in mind or heart attitude (Pr 21:4; compare also Ro 3:9-18; 2Pe 2:12-15).

Quote:
Then of course there is this......

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Col 1:16.
Taken at face value as you're obviously doing, then you really should give Him the credit for all of your scientific abilities and achievements.
Are you willing to do that?

Quote:
So clearly, if sin exists and your god created everything then he created sin also. And it would appear that the reason he created it was to tempt his creation.
You gleefully assign the blame for even your own evil deeds to God, but you spitefully withold the credit that should be due for the good things - right?
Your flawed sense of outrage motivates you to criticize the only person who supplies you with food every day. You obviously couldn't do it yourself.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,871,706 times
Quote:
I have to wonder if you know what the word "sin" means.
I'm using it in the context used by most Christians.

Quote:
A further look at the word shows that anything not in harmony with, hence contrary to, God’s personality, standards, ways, and will; anything marring one’s relationship with God. It may be in word (Job 2:10; Ps 39:1), in deed (doing wrong acts [Le 20:20; 2Co 12:21] or failing to do what should be done [Nu 9:13; Jas 4:17]), or in mind or heart attitude (Pr 21:4; compare also Ro 3:9-18; 2Pe 2:12-15).
Yes, that is the interpretation that I am using the word 'sin' in...so why are you objecting?

Quote:
Taken at face value as you're obviously doing, then you really should give Him the credit for all of your scientific abilities and achievements.
Are you willing to do that?
I'm atheist...you know what that means.

Quote:
You gleefully assign the blame for even your own evil deeds to God, but you spitefully withold the credit that should be due for the good things - right? Your flawed sense of outrage motivates you to criticize the only person who supplies you with food every day. You obviously couldn't do it yourself.
You really are a pompous, arrogant little twit aren't you. Don't assign 'evil deeds' to me when you don't even know me. It's best that you and I ignore each other in future, otherwise I will be tempted tell you what I really thing of you...and that will, no doubt, get me banned.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,835,296 times
Default God's Laws - Important Laws for All Mankind

So have god come tell us what he wants us to do.

I'm sick of men claiming to know god's will telling me what to do (or not to do).

Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM

646 posts, read 634,707 times
Originally Posted by wilsoncole:
That's not an explanation. That is a theory.
Materialism suggests that things are either physical or spiritual. Evolution only deals with the physical.
The origin of the spiritual needs an explanation. This is what we are waiting for you to come up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
You don't seem to understand that love isn't a spiritual thing. I know all your basing your conclusion on is your opinion, but your say so doesn't make it so. Also, the thread isn't about love being a spiritual thing. Maybe you should make a thread on the subject. Maybe I should make one for you.

Don't get riled! I can start my own threads.
You still have not explained the origin of the spiritual.
I offered no opinion, so don‘t take out your frustration on me. I wrote that materialism suggests that things are either physical or spiritual. Does it not? If love is not spiritual, then it MUST be physical (appealing to your “either/or scenario“).
Explain that, please.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:28 PM

290 posts, read 388,873 times
Why do we always assume they're God's Laws?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,626,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
God's universe is governed by laws as immutable as they are perfect in their workings, and the great thing to be accomplished by the plan which He provided for the redemption of men, is to have every man come into harmony with these laws, because just as soon as that harmony exists, there will be no more discord and sin will not be known to humanity.
The main problem is that you make this statement as though it cannot be contradicted. The truth is, those laws are based purely on belief. They're completely unenforceable. Anyone who doesn't subscribe to a particular belief system (and I can't help but think that you've got a specific one in mind) isn't bound by "God's Laws."

Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,165,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Okay, logical exercise here. Follow me:

God created man. Man created sin. (Your claim).

God *knew* man would sin. Therefore God knew creating man would create sin. God wants a universe without sin. (Your claim again).

Now, that last claim does not fit with the available evidence. Either the claim is wrong, that God does not want sin, or the assumptions are wrong. Either God did not know man would sin (which makes him not omniscient and therefore not God), or God actually did knowingly create a universe with sin, because even though he knew man would sin, he created man anyway.
Inasmuch as I don't know the answer to your question and I'm not going to speculate, I'll have to take it up with our Father.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:47 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,165,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The main problem is that you make this statement as though it cannot be contradicted. The truth is, those laws are based purely on belief. They're completely unenforceable. Anyone who doesn't subscribe to a particular belief system (and I can't help but think that you've got a specific one in mind) isn't bound by "God's Laws."
Well, it can't be contradicted because it is one of God's Laws. On the contrary, all of His Laws are enforceable insofar as He has built-in guidelines and criteria to make it so and further that we are able to figure these things out when we know ourselves that a law has been violated by understanding what the laws are in the first place.

The Law of Harmony:

God's Laws are fixed and unchangeable and always in harmony with one another and with His Will, and knowing this, every thinking man will know and should know that whenever a proposition or opinion is put forth by preacher, or layman or philosopher or scientist that shows, that in order for a certain condition or truth to exist, God's Laws will have to work in conflict with or in opposition to one another, then that proposition or opinion is false and has no foundation in fact.

[All who refuse to seek the Way to the Celestial Heavens, will eventually find their way to the kingdom where the perfect natural man exists. ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality