Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,211,118 times

Advertisements

I ran across a reference about The Seven Laws of Noah. I don't think I had ever heard about them before. I google it and found tons of information. The Wikipedia had a good write up. This was one thing that I found that made me stop and think about the Separation of Church and State.

...."The U.S. Congress officially recognized the Noahide Laws in legislation which was passed by both houses. Congress and the President of the United States, George Bush, indicated in Public Law 102-14, 102nd Congress, that the United States of America was founded upon the Seven Universal Laws of Noah, and that these Laws have been the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization. They also acknowledged that the Seven Laws of Noah are the foundation upon which civilization stands and that recent weakening of these principles threaten the fabric of civilized society, and that justified preoccupation in educating the Citizens of the United States of America and future generations is needed. For this purpose, this Public Law designated March 26, 1991 as Education Day, U.S.A."...

Bet you didn't know that! I didn't know that George did that! And here we have be worrying about the Ten Commandments being displayed at the Courthouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:52 AM

204 posts, read 508,399 times
Wow thanks for sharing. I never even heard of that before.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,207,011 times
Lightbulb Interesting Indeed!

The seven laws listed by the Talmud are:

1. Prohibition of Idolatry: - There is only one God. You shall not make for yourself an idol.

2. Prohibition of Murder: - You shall not murder.

3. Prohibition of Theft: - You shall not steal.

4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: - You shall not commit adultery.

5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: - Revere God and do not blaspheme.

6. Prohibition of Cruelty to Animals: - Do not eat the flesh of an animal while it is still alive.

7. Requirement to have just Laws: - You shall set up an effective government to police the preceding six laws.

Well, IMO they are good laws...but I'm a Christian. Doesn't this violate separation of church and state?

Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 PM

I was in hopes that a history buff would sign on and give a little insight if our Founding Fathers ever referred to these seven Laws of Noah.

I don't recall anything like this spelled out in my history classes. Have they ever been part of our heritage until 1991?

I agree, good laws. But I am not sure that I approve of them being called the foundation of our country. If they were considered back in those days, I really would like to know.

At any rate, I don't think that #1,#4 and #5 were part of the Agenda when the Constitution was drawn up.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,207,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I was in hopes that a history buff would sign on and give a little insight if our Founding Fathers ever referred to these seven Laws of Noah.

I don't recall anything like this spelled out in my history classes. Have they ever been part of our heritage until 1991?

I agree, good laws. But I am not sure that I approve of them being called the foundation of our country. If they were considered back in those days, I really would like to know.

At any rate, I don't think that #1,#4 and #5 were part of the Agenda when the Constitution was drawn up.
Well, I for one have never heard of the 7 laws before now, except maybe in a religious class along time ago, but nothing in common parlance. And of course I've heard of the actual laws, added with others to form the 10 Commandments.

But maybe I'm missing something...this absolutely slaps seperation of church and state in the face, doesn't it? Even if it doesn't necessarily espouse a certain religion, it is pulled from the Abrahamic faith and commands one to at least be a Diest. Basically dictating personal belief, and outlawing athiesm, right?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:00 PM

Jeff, that's sort of my take too. A quick (and I do mean QUICK) glance at the Declaration mentions The Laws of Nature and of Nature's God. It goes on to mention "endowed by their Creator"

Makes you sort of wonder, doesn't it, about what other kinds of stuff gets passed in Congress.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:58 PM

358 posts, read 917,292 times
Following the Noahide laws, in Judaism, makes a non-Jew a "righteous Gentile." A lot of people don't worship anyone but G-d yet do not want to convert to Judaism; thus, they follow the Noahide Laws. Christians are not Noahides because they do not worship G-d directly and go through an intermediary.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:04 PM

Ilovejazz, that's very interesting. Thanks. I think that's a concept that would appeal to quite a few agnostics.

Are there other "rules" that those Gentiles would be expected to follow?

Old 08-17-2007, 03:16 PM

358 posts, read 917,292 times
Quote:
Are there other "rules" that those Gentiles would be expected to follow?
Good question. To my knowledge, those 7 Noahide laws are it. The term "Righteous Gentile" is often applied to those who risked their lives for Jews during the Holocaust. And they really are special people. Can you imagine doing something that you know for a fact would get you killed, if you are caught? Yet, many people did just that during the war.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:43 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,017,522 times
Quote:

This is very interesting...I too would like to hear from one of our history buffs.
I am thinking that GCSTroop would be able to give some good insight to this...hopefully he'll be on later .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality